It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catch ABC World News tonight? 3/8/12 - Soveriegn Citizens and U.S Militias Segment

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
So i do not normally watch MSM news. But tonight i happened to be in the waiting room of a hospital where ABC World News Nightly was on the tv. Pretty standard news show until about 30 minutes in when i was pretty shocked to see they had a segment all about Sovereign citizens of America, domestic terrorists, and USA militias.
Of course they start the segment off with the of the story of Oklahoma city bomber; all about how he was a sovereign citizen, and then a story about the man - Joe Stack - a while back who flew a small one man plane into an IRS building and another about a young man who when pulled over by police, jumped out of his van with a shotgun and shot and killed two police officers; also not to long ago. ( Will edit when i find source about this incident ) Anyways, after discussing those two stories the anchor mentions how both men were members of the Soveriegn citizens movement.

This is my first ever thread i am not sure how to put off-site content in here?? O.o but i will quote, the ABC news crew described the soveriegn citizen movement as, "a loosely-organized collection of groups and individuals who believe they are both above the law and "true defenders of the Constitution." They continue to say, "Sovereign citizens are extremist radicals who believe they are exercising 'god-given rights' and are fueling domestic terrorism." At this statement, I was speechless, i guess this is how the MSM is going to be portraying many of us true patriots; hell yes we are true defenders of the constituion. Anyways, the news report goes on to claim there are 300,000 sovereign citizens part of the movement nationwide and are going wide. This quote is straight from the source word by word.

"They follow their own set of rules and many refuse to pay taxes. The movement's followers believe, in large part, that the existing government in the United States is illegitimate and needs to be "restored." Many sovereigns refer to themselves as "patriots" or "constitutionalists." Driver's licenses, license plates, and insurance are not required, many sovereign believe, going as far as making their own identification badges and gun permits. Some members are known to turn violent against law enforcement and are notoriously hostile towards the media.

Federal government officials describe sovereign citizens as an "extremist anti-government group" and the FBI is concerned about members of the group becoming more violent, accusing them of "comprising a domestic terrorist movement."

In the news report it also goes on to say that the sovereign citizen movement is one of the highest priorities on the FBI's list. When another reporter was asked what law enforcement plans to do about the growing movement, he responded by saying quite a lot actually, such as tracking down these groups and attempting to shut them down, before domestic terrorism is spread.

The last part of the segment was about ' Secret Militias in the U.S.'
The report claims that based on recent studies and research by law enforcement, in 2012 about 1242 secret militia groups are operating within the United States, while back in 2008 only about 180 or so of these militia groups were operating. I am utterly discusted at how the MSM is painting us 'sovereign citizens' us true patriots, and those who question the government. I may be reading to much into it, but i believe there was also a subtle threat to people like this and many of those like us on ATS throughout the news report.

Source:
abcnews.go.com...
abcnews.go.com...

What say you ATS?
Peace,

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Domestic Terrorism is exactly what the founding fathers wanted when the government was no longer the peoples. It is no longer the peoples government, but they seem rather keen to keep themselves in power. If they do not control their reckless regimes and handicapped approach at military budgeting, domestic terrorism is what they will get.

They can say all they want at controlling it but look at just how well they did in Vietnam, Irag, Afghanistan. They are scared and you can see it.

This spring and summer will be amazing for the Occupy movement and hopefully, other activist groups.

If we want it changed, its gonna take more than just the majority. It will take everyone of us.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by AaronWilson

i agree whole heartedly! what's funny is when they interviewed some of the 'sovereign citizens' and they gave answers such as the government works for us, we pay their salaries and fund their abuse, we have a right by the constitution to no longer support the government once they stop serving the people and start serving themselves. Then the news interviewer acts as if these answers are blasphemy and completely wrong. when in reality, this view is completey true. The government does work for us. We are not their slaves. And we have every right to put them out of power. If that view is what it means to be a sovereign citizen, then they can put me down as 300,001. I'm with you, they can label us all domestic terrorists if they so please, but they have brought it on themselves. They spread their tyranny and expect us, We The People not to react? they are wrong. But you are absolutely right, if we are ever to stand up against the government and take back power of this country from the corrupt, it will take much more than the Occupy movement and other activist groups. It will take each and every one of us, fighting together.

and It is about time we take action.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by 0subsZero13

They have been painting constitutionalism and true patriotism (standing up to your government when it is wrong) as being an act of domestic terrorism for over 20 years. That is their biggest fear, those true Americans that will stand up and fight for their rights.

The domestic threats these days are much greater than the foreign threats. The Bill of Rights is being re-worked and invalidated, If I were them, I would be getting scared too. You can only push people so far. The simple fact is the majority of these men and women love their county and the people in it and would never hurt a fly that didn't bite them first. Yes their are some extreme groups, very few and far between, they also have the right to live by their own standards, as misguided as they may or may not be.

They like to paint them as violent when really they just want the government to leave them the hell alone. Every single american should have the right to check out, ask for nothing from the government, expect nothing from the government, and give the government nothing in return. Sadly the government will never let that happen and would rather kill you than let you live free by your own standards.

Live and let live is not in the governments vocabulary.

edit on 8-3-2012 by sageofmonticello because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Just watched the segment, and found it to be extremely disrespectful and inaccurate. They did NOT show anyone that tried to represent themselves in a court of "law" and how the process works, and that in fact many people that have the right and choose to use it are very successful.

This is a IMHO way to make others that choose to live responsibly, and free, have now had to be linked with crazy murderers, and those that look to take advantage of the system.

This happens everywhere and always have.

Thanks for the heads up of the show, S&F.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
ABC is the worst of the MSM. I always get a kick out of Nightline. Worst disinformation out there.

We ought to do a segment exposing their blatant disregard for constitutional rights. It wouldn't be hard to do. Just use their own words and put them side by side to the Bill of Rights.

www.law.cornell.edu...

ARTICLE VI

All debts contracted and engagements entered into, before the adoption of this Constitution, shall be as valid against the United States under this Constitution, as under the Confederation.

This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding.

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the members of the several state legislatures, and all executive and judicial officers, both of the United States and of the several states, shall be bound by oath or affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Expect more vilification....Expect more primary school kids being terrorized by their teachers, the police the system...
Expect more military style cops on the street in battle gear instead of blue denim....
Expect the goverment to take more of your money, expect them to take your children when you home school....
Expect them to stick their noses into every nook and cranny of your private life with more and more crushing legislation and less and less goverment services.....
expect the worst...you wont be dissapointed.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
First it was foreign terrorists, then it was foreign terrorist cells on U.S. soil, now it's American extremists. Now that's what I call Psychological conditioning! So anyone who doesn't agree with the policies being put in place could be anti government correct? And anyone who is anti government could be considered a terrorist now right? I present to you the beauty of the never ending war on terror. A concept of war that allows you to justifiably stamp out any opposition.As I've stated many times it is not what the Federal Government is doing now. The real questions are, where will it end? At what point have they overstepped their bounds and become terrorists themselves? Does title alone give them moral high ground to do as they wish with no fear of any consequences? In no way do I condone what happened in OKC or any other extreme acts as such, but can people be so shallow as not to see that maybe the persons who perpetrated those acts were just bad people who did bad things? If it wasn't for a militia cause they would have found another reason to justify their acts, kind of the same way governments have always justified their own acts.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   
the conditioning, or as i like to call it the programming, is thrown at the subconscious at an alarming rate and most do not pick up on it. one example would be in the movie source code you can hear on the news "the suspect was posting anti-government comments on an online blog" or something to that extent. when you make yourself aware of these subliminals you destroy what they're intended to do. they're intended to attach a hidden message to a normal idea. its not just government population control, its advertising as well. they're one in the same i believe. knowledge is power.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
This thread literally lept onto my lap this morning - SnF for you OP: you beat me to it.
I watch that newscast every night over dinner with my sweetie and we are more and more disgusted each day. The one thing that really ticked me off was at the end the reporter called them 'a hate group'. WHAT??? Not one of the people interviewed used the hate word to my recollection. Not one. The only evidence I saw of aggression was the one man who stated "if you come at me with a gun I will defend myself". Isn't that a constitutional right to defend yourself? Oh, wait, my bad. It's the constitution they seem to be nullifying bit by bit....

I fear for my kids and their futures unless we get these people out of office that list true patriots as high priority terrorists. Unfortunately that won't happen. TPTB will never allow it. The proof is out there- candidate who receive the majority of the votes yet still do not attain the office (read as Al Gore, et al...) Going to get ugly, but I fear it will be necessary and the 1% will go lightly into the night.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   

You can smell fear in TPTW here as the Sov' movement gets traction. This is the greatest nightmare for the Illuminati puppet-masters as they try to paint criminal action on groups which actually are withdrawing from the grid. The movement is obviously about nonconformity and non participation.. You can see how Agents try to force their participation.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
well - this is good news - the more ready militia's the U.S. has the better.
gun sales are up - 'an armed society is a polite society.'

the are really good reason for not sending the gold collar criminals in the east (formerly called CONgress) extortion money - ie taxes.

from the U.S. Constitution:
Amendment II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

the 16th and 17th amendments were never ratified:

see:
www.thelawthatneverwas.com...

devvy.com...
also:

it easy to see our founding fathers were referencing freedom as the key to:
'life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.'
the alpha waves on telievison are for those still in the matrix.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by AaronWilson

Any kind of movement that has to wait until the weather improves is a farce in my opinion. If the occupy movement truly felt wronged and were so adamant on change, they wouldn't care whether it was 10 degrees or 100 degrees.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   

The movement's followers believe, in large part, that the existing government in the United States is illegitimate and needs to be "restored."

Does this mean in 4 years when there is not a black man as President, this privatized militia is going to dis-band? Or will they turn on and attempt to loot the general population?

What happens if a woman becomes President?
Unless they represent Corporate America why are they silent on the Supreme Courts latest rulings?
What about the camera tickets and hidden cameras all over the cities?

Many of these people are lacking in many areas economically, education, exposure to the world and different places and cultures that abound...and that is one reason why they are so dissatisfied and fearful. Another reason is TPTB are literally putting their ducks in a row. There is cause to be wary but the enemy has red herrings. These groups are falling for them. While we are chasing them (protecting gun rights) TPTB are pushing through OTHER assaults on individual rights!
While these guys are protecting the right to gather with guns, we have lost our right to travel, to walk through an airport unmolested. We have lost our privacy in our car and the right to drive without cameras tracking you and issuing a ticket.

Poverty and want breeds desperation. This group could as easily turn sour and dangerous as our own Police (protect & serve is a joke) seem to have turned on us. Any extremist is a bad extremist IMO.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
As someone who has believed in being a Sovereign HUMAN for most of my life , this comes as no surprise. The MSM is a farce and we all know this truth. Years before 9/11 I was active with Patriot groups, and believed what is now common talk here at ATS only to see the movement crushed and destroyed by the follow up after 9/11. Now, America is too hyponotized to care much about their own freedoms,, as long as there are gadgets, Reality TV shows and such to keep them occupied. The people are asleep, well, let me rephrase that,,, the people are in a DEEP COMA and are not going to wake up any time soon.
When TPTB come for me, I don't expect anyone to lift a finger, or cry out in disgust or protest, because I know that the people are sedated with Too much Information,,, so their small minds are fried. The people are drugged,,, by the food they consume, legal and illegal drugs,,, and the TV / Media they consume. They will just watch and shake their heads,,, glad it is not them. Then they will get back in line and do as they are told.
People here at ATS,, say they are waiting for the STHTF,,, well ,,, WAKE UP,,, it hit the Fan long ago,,, and even though,, small wake ups,,, like the Tea party and OWS, movements seemed to say the things we all knew and wanted to say,,,, Little really has happened in regards to taking on the larger problem in Washington.
The Government, now works Only for Itself, only throwing crumbs out to appear to do the work of the people. It is all a Circus and we all know this is true..
America is gone,,, lost to the divisions we have allowed our leaders to create between us.
We are now ruled by corporations and they know they have the upper hand, because they have the science to lull us back to sleep with their toys, and consumer goods that we are hypnotized into thinking we need in our lives.
I used to think my honest work would pay off, but now I am reduced to 'holding on by the skin of my teeth' to what used to be called middle class. I know that soon it will be over for me and the life I live at the moment, because our government picks and chooses who survives and does not. I AM NOT ON THE LIST to survive.
I am expendable ,,, like most of you out there, and the sooner you realize this, the sooner you would join the ranks of being a Sovereign HUMAN,,, I say Human, because I do believe this is a worldwide phenomenon. Even though I am what some would call a Die Hard American Patriot,,, I know that since America is lost to the Multinational Corporations and Military Industrial Complex,,, I have to return to the idea of HUMAN RIGHTS and what it really means to be Human,, not just American.
The only hope we have is to quit supporting the system.
Which means,, yes,,, F the IRS,,, If you still pay into the system,,, for what ever the reason,,, you are part of the problem.
I know the whole refutation of this,,, but this is all we have at our disposal.
I quit. I am a HUMAN. I call on all who see the dire straits we are in at the moment to rethink all the politics, philosophies and religions to come to my aid,,, because they will come for me,,, I do know this,,, because all they really want is what little money I make working my small paying job. They don't care about my humanity,, no matter what they say. Without the money,,, they can't do much. So my few pennys are MINE. to do as I see fit. I refuse to participate in the madness any longer.
Again,,, if you pay the Beast that we have ourselves created,,, you must Pay the Piper.
I know I am very much alone in this, because frankly America has sold itself and its freedoms for the illusion of safety. You are not Safe. Don't fool yourself into thinking the government will change anytime soon for the better.
HUMANITY NEEDS A NEW SYSTEM,,, and Nothing on the Horizon seems to be available because we are a House divided.
On the UP side, I AM FREE,, because I Take my own little small stand against this evil that is eating at the fabric of what it really means to be an American.
I now choose my Humanity first.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

Um, they didn't...there's Occupy Nashville that just got evicted this morning, all the others only left by no choice AND have been very active despite eviction. Sheesh read sometimes.
edit on 9-3-2012 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Wow...interesting thread. I have said I am not a huge conspiracy theorist, but I for one have been watching the degradation of Liberty for several years. It is not a surprise some people have decided to recall what the founding fathers intended with the first and second Amendment. "Speak up when the Government oversteps and when that doesn't work...there is always step 2"

It is theoretically possible to take the corruption in Government out from the ground up in elections...by completely removing all incumbents (local, state and federal) and replace them with...well...Liberty based Constitutionalists...(Hmm...I wonder who fits that bill?)

The MSM however is soooo good at feeding crap into the brains of the ignorant and uneducated that that probably won't work...some folks are just gonna vote in the cronies everytime or "My daddy was a Democrat/Republican and that is how I vote"

One poster mentioned the distractions...this is very true...as well as the intentional dumbing down of our students and children.

Here is a couple of videos you might find interesting:

We must first understand where we are and how we got here in order to take steps to correct it...
edit on 3/9/2012 by Damrod because: spelling

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Federal government officials describe sovereign citizens as an "extremist anti-government group" and the FBI is concerned about members of the group becoming more violent, accusing them of "comprising a domestic terrorist movement."

I happened to catch that segment myself. It seems the Feds are all against the Sovereign Movement, moving quickly to group all who calls themselves "Sovereign" together, under a common name and practice, much like Religious Dogma tends to do.
I also have to say that Ohio cops are schooled on what a Sovereign is, and we are treated with respect. I personally do not think it makes me an extremest, or a terrorist, to force police officers and Court Officers to adhere to the Constitution they all swore oath to defend and protect...do you? Does it make me an extremest when I demand to question my accuser, and recluse same when it is recorded my accuser is a machine, and incapable of testimony? Does it make me an extremest when I prove to a Criminal Court Judge that he/she does not have jurisdiction over my case, a traffic offence? Does it make me an extremest to sign my Automobile Registration "sui juris UCC-207, All Rights Reserved, Signed under Duress?" Does it make me an extremest to sport a "Ron Paul for President" bumper sticker, or to have a working knowledge of the Constitution and Articles, and a knowledge of what is law, and what is policy?

Then I guess I am an extremest. I am a Sovereign. I have a filed Notice of Right and Understanding with local LEOs, and have informed same I do not pay tickets, ever, and will fight each one in open Court. I do follow up on complaints on LEOs for Constitutional violations with Civilian Review Boards and with their boss up the ladder.
I am secure in the knowledge I do not walk alone.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Where do people come up with this stuff? Claiming to be a Sovereign citizen really means nothing, it is just something stupid people started saying that caught on. You might as well just claim that "laws do not apply to me" as a legal defense, you are going to get laughed at right before you are found guilty.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Yea just last week we had basically the same report in the Canadian media about this, with basically the exact same footage and news bits. They did interview Robert A. Menard but didn't go any further than a fluff story with no real introspective as to the legal reasoning behind the idea of a freeman or sovereign. They used the one and probably first time most average people will hear about this subject to vilify and demonize these people without getting a perspective on why they are doing it and what real legal basis they have for doing so. If anything it showed the hypocrisy that 99% of all terrorism happens from people in your own country yet we seem to want to kill every brown person on the planet.

I really don't have words to say how infuriated I was at the biased uneducated views portrayed in both the American and Canadian versions of this story.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join