It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Cultural Case For Being Against Interracial Mariages

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
here's my take after spending the better half of my life being a mindless libtard, pc-freak. it becomes ingrained that there is no individual race/s or culture/s. yet only one race seems to be losing their genetic identity and culture. they tell you there is no such thing as any one race but will quickly turn around and say the white race is bad and has a history all generations must bear a never ending guilt for.

I always believed we were all different and brought something different to the table. enjoying our unique contributions in a friendly matter is true "diversity". multiculturalism doesn't seem to really want diversity, they want a one world mindset. it became clear to me one day that the left in general while having an amazing array of academic skills, never could engage in thoughtful discussions regarding such matters. they employ a sort of mental handbook, full of pc mantra and ironically enough, racial verbal attacks.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
Being against intteracial relations could also mean that you are completely against racism
Because you love all cultures of all races so much you don't want to dilute them

Yeah, you could claim that. The only problem is the fact that literally the only people who ever make these types of arguments are white males. The very fact that you've done it, tells me automatically that you are a white, Anglo-Celtic male. Whether you consciously know it or not, the reason why you're making this argument, is also because you are a white supremacist.

White supremacy is usually unconscious, in Western society. It has become normalised to the degree that being a white supremacist (or a male chauvanist; personally I'm not an advocate of matriarchy either, but I still don't hear women making anywhere near as much noise about how they should supposedly rule the planet, to be honest) is entirely possible, without being aware of the fact that you are at all.

This has created cognitive dissonance for me. Truthfully, I'm afraid of Islam overrunning the planet as well, but more for legal and cultural reasons than race, per se. I don't care about someone's skin colour; I care about whether or not they want to live under a dehumanising legal system, and also force me to do the same.

On the other hand though, when I see threads like this, it actually makes me want to see the Muslims take over; if only because I'm so sick of white racism, and I know how terrified of that possibility a lot of white racists are.

Take Australia for example, they said that multiculturalism doesn't work
Truth is that if it wasn't multicultural then Aussies would be eating fast food and red meat all day and would by a strong large majority be obese.

White Australia is probably one of the most virulently anti-intellectual societies on the planet anyway, irrespective of multiculturalism one way or the other. The people in this country are genuinely proud of their lack of intelligence.

That offspring will likely not grow up knowing how to cook chinese food
Imagine a black marrying an indian, again the offspring will not know how to cook indian food, and we all know how good indian food is

Yeah, because there's no such thing as cookbooks in the world, are there? You probably also need to visit India sometime if you think there's a danger of them dying out; there's nearly a third of a billion of them.

Let me just be blunt, and save some time. Your argument is lame, and motivated by fear. Depending on where you are in the world, I'd recommend going and finding a nice hispanic woman and buying her dinner next weekend. She'll probably leave clawmarks on your back, yes; but the experience will also likely leave you with a much more positive outlook on ethnic diversity.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by wingsfan
here's my take after spending the better half of my life being a mindless libtard, pc-freak. it becomes ingrained that there is no individual race/s or culture/s. yet only one race seems to be losing their genetic identity and culture.

It's called Karma. And yes, I say that as a white individual myself.

We're going to become extinct, and we deserve to. Deal with it.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Before I jump in, I'd like to know what we're talking about. It seems there are three key terms: Race, Ethnicity, and Culture.

I interpret Race to mean one of the five or six main groupings that humanity is divided into. I think of Ethnicity as one of the sub-groups a race is divided into, often, but not necessarily, a nation. I see Culture as the beliefs, preferences, and behaviors of an Ethnicity. Do we agree? If not, please straighten me out. It's your thread and I'll take your definitions.

This would mean that a given Race would have several Ethnicities in it, and several cultures. The French and British Cultures and Ethnicities would be distinct even if they are from the same race.

Before I get into this any further, I'd like to see if I understand you correctly.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
what a load of pure unadulterated bovine fecal matter.

there is only one race - the human race.

Not true. There is believed to be one human SPECIES. There are several different racial groupings. The difference between the races isn't primarily skin pigmentation, but bone structure and brain size.

In-fact, a medicine that might work well for an African American could very well kill me, etc.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
This prompted me to make my first post.

I don't see what the big deal is about "preserving ones culture". Cultures have changed throughout the years, and will continue to do so. Chances are, whatever genetic stock you are from, is a result of mixing of different gene pools. If you have British blood, you are a "euro mutt" essentially... with stock coming from Celtic, Germanic, and Roman blood, as well as the original inhabitants before any of these cultures arrived. Most Blacks in American have a pretty significant amount of European ancestry. Most Latinos have a mix of European and American Indian blood. Everybody has been mixed and had their culture "taken over" at some point in history, only to create new ones.

Me, I'm American, Mom is a mutt of British and Irish ancestry, Dad is a pure blood southern Italian. Not quite the same as a Black and White mix, but still. I don't have any issues with who I am, I don't really follow up too much on my ancestry, or blame or attribute any of my strengths or weaknesses to my heritage. "well, i'm Irish so I MUST be a drinker, it's in me blood!" I think this line of thinking is stupid frankly, nothing irks me more than someone chalking up their habits to their heritage like that. A lot of Italian Americans think I'm weird because I don't really fit the stereotype, although to be honest I look more British than anything, with light blond hair, reddish facial hair and green eyes. Got the Tan skin though

I like a lot of music that stems from African American's, as well as Europeans and I think the best music out there borrows and uses elements from different influences. The future is here, we aren't all going to be Black, White, Brown, Yellow. It's not going to happen today, or tomorrow, but people are mixing and I know that scares a lot of people but, tough cookies.

I will ad, that I think most people are drawn towards their own, but there are people out there that will find love in another race, and who is to say that's wrong or try to stop it. I know some people are out there who almost purposely date outside their race, like to piss off their family or because it's "hip" and I think that's silly if you're doing it to prove a point or piss of an ex boyfriend. But if happens naturally, and someone tries to question it, you are getting in the way of evolution.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I do not have a problem with someone being black, I have a problem with black culture being statistically disposed to spouse violence, social irresponsibility, crime, welfare, laziness, superficiality, and hip hop.

If black people in this country (most of them, not all of them) would act like they know how to dress and operated with a damn brain in their head I wouldnt see them as beneath me. That goes for any color of the spectrum that pursues hip hop culture and the bullsh*t it has produced culturally.

Granted there is that exception where some are highly educated and act practically within sociaty and know how to be civil. It is those who are so shallow they feel they have to chimp out is what bothers me. Again statistically speaking.......its not racism if its true. You want to change a view.......get that demographic to act better than a labeled stereotype. That goes for all skin tones not just blacks.

I don't care what you are, if you act like a monkey because a rap video makes doing so look cool, you cannot get my blessing when dating my daughter. You contribute nothing to the betterment of mankind by thinking like that and you will get shown the door with yer face first.

Im an equal opprotunity hater, I just chose black for the purpose of my example. Now, this does not mean that i would not converse with said minority to see where he is mentally, and then make a decision. But if yer wearin yer pants around yer knees.....I'll show you the heel of my boot for being more ignorant than any klansman could ever be on his best day.

Then theres that reverse racism poop that is put on nonoffending whites for the sole purpose for minorities to feel 2 wrongs make a right....that'll get ya my heel too.

ignorance is ignorance...Im ok with race.....its the culture that p*sses me off.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
The sooner we dilute all of the other identities besides human, the better. Maybe then there would be peace, but likely we'll just find something else to fight about. Culture is constantly changing and evolving. In fact, the hallmark of humanity is change. You can't stop it.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
The sooner we dilute all of the other identities besides human, the better. Maybe then there would be peace, but likely we'll just find something else to fight about. Culture is constantly changing and evolving. In fact, the hallmark of humanity is change. You can't stop it.

Is this why the bum outsdie of walmart is always asking me for change?

Seriously yes change is constant, but not always for the better. People need to stop wanting others to control their lives for them in order to experience what real freedom is.

Then we can make some progress.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I did read your OP and I disagree. Cultures are in a constant state of change and evolution. With each introduction of new peoples and cultures, they tend to absorb and adapt the traits it likes from the other culture.

Food is a common them in cultures...hotdogs, tacos, pizza, takeout chinese.... all have been adapted. I recently went to mexico...real, non tourist Mexico. the food was so different from what we eat here in America, even when it is prepared by immigrant Mexicans. KFC has destroyed what is commonly referred to as "Soul Food" or "country cooking"

The same could be said of music. What is known as bluegrass grew from "mountain music' which morphed from the music played by Scotch- Irish immigrants which morphed from the highland balads that were played on fiddles when the pipes were outlawed which morphed from the influx of Normans and Saxons and Vikings that raided and settled in Britannia...

You get my point. Culture and groups and peoples are in a constant state of evolution and identity...

Why put boundries and identities on love... no matter the origin, culture, or color?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
OK, I'll go through this one more time, really slowly. Everytime I see a thread like this I realize the poster doesn't get it.

Here's what's wrong with the OP's logic:

culture vs. genetics
genetic continuum vs. a handful of racial categories

Let's continue, shall we?

There is no such thing as "race". There is only a manifold continuum of genetic features that distinguish things like skin tone, hair type, eye color, bone structure, musculature, and other salient physical features of the human animal.

The reason I approve of using the term "Black" (for lack of a better word) but not "White":

When people use the word "White", they are loosely referring to, variably, Scandinavian peoples, Germanic peoples, Northern Europeans, Europeans, Slavs, the English, the Irish and more. It overlaps and has no real empirical standard, but rather a "feeling" on the part of the person saying "White". In reality, when spliting the Indo-European culture into the two subgroups (Satem and Centem), we find that the Slavs have more in common with the Iranians and the Indians, while the Germans, Celts and Latins are all on their end together. The Slavs in Poland and the Czech Republic have more Germanic mixture, while the Scandinavians have a small link to what we might call Asians. The Finns, who most would consider "Scandinavian" are actually mixed and not fully Scandinavian, but rather they display a large amount of visable attributes from their Central Asian genetics.

"Black" when used in the US is a valid ethnonym. It refers to the ancestors of mostly West-African slaves who, for better or worse, are mixed, to a varying degree with the Luso-Iberian (Spanish and Portuguese) ancestry of the first slave traders, the Anglo-Celtic ancestry of the first settlers of Southeastern North America where these slaves first arrived in North America, and to a lesser extent, the various related and unrelated native tribes of the continent with whom they came in contact over the course of their time in captivity and upon escape or release.

In other words, different from the various tribes and ethnic differences found in so-called Black, sub-Saharan Africa, the "Black" people of the US form a genetic continuum separate from the founding ethnicities of Western Africa that spawned the African features you see on these people today. However, there are also the European features that clearly make American Black people a varied, yet cohesive ethnic group, apart from any given tribe that may have contributed to their genetic pool from West Africa (where European genetics are not as widespread and more isolated to "Mulatto" socio-ethnic classes).

So, to say it is "interracial" marriage is a misnomer as there is no such thing as interracial to begin with. If an American "Black" man and an American "White" woman have a baby, the baby has much more European ancestry than West African. I mean, just to give a random example, it could be a Black man with 25% Irish Ancestry and 5% Portuguese, 5% Cherokee, and 25% Yoruba, 15% Wolof and 25% Ngola ancestry mixing with a White girl with 25% Sicilian ancestry, 25% Irish ancestry, and 50% Polish ancestry. So what is the resulting baby's "race"?

Well:
25% Irish
25% Polish
12.5% Sicilian
12.5% Yoruban
12.5% Ngola
7.5% Wolof
2.5% Cherokee
2.5% Portuguese

So, what about a person who is over 50% European makes them a different Race altogether from someone who is 100% European (whatever that actually means, considering the Portuguese have some Berber, Arab and Sefardi Jewish background and the Italians have some North African background, but also some Greek and some Turkish.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by BooKrackers

Identity is a semiotic process...in other words, it's a dialog between the greater culture and the individual. When you use these stereotypes (and I understand that a stereotype has some grounding in reality), you miss how these things are totally independent from skin tone and hair type. Again, in other words, you miss the fact that Black people don't act that way (the ones you are referring to) because there is some inherent genetic disposition to act that way, but rather because the environment shapes the genetic structure that is already extant.

So, when you abhor these stereotypes, you should realize they are collective symptoms (or results) of the dominant cultural interaction. The mainstream creates a dialog with which those people pidgeon-holed as "Black" are forced to interact and the result of the interaction is only partly the result of the individual "Black" person's actions. The totality of what you call "Black" people (i.e., the stereotypes you listed) are results that also have as a foundation the way the dominant culture receives that group...kind of like an echo chamber where self-fulfilling prophecies bounce around until a sort of collective cultural identity is propagated.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I have been to both countries several times, have you? The fact that two oriental peoples can have cultural histories and perspective that is different illustrates your bigotry and for what reason, perhaps feeling like the victim of "them" which is always a common response. It's like saying all white Canadians are different from this white American because? How about a different social system and culture? Think about observing an individuals and peoples behavior and everything that culture entails and get off this racial crap.
edit on 7/3/12 by arbiture because: added stuff, all the good it will do...

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

You're wrong in that you are defining the other two (Ethnicity and Culture) within the framework of the third (Race), which is a totally mythical category.

Ethnicity is a continuum, and even within the most homogeneous (upon outside inspection) group in some village in Switzerland, there is still the continuum at work. The continuum heads out of the Rift Valley of Africa, spreads south to South Africa, west to Senegal and north to the Nile Delta, it takes a right and forks: some trails lead to Arabia, others along the coast through India and Southeast Asia and down into Australia, others head northeast, through the Caucasus, the Hindu Kush and into Tibet, down to Canton, and out into the Sea, where they reverberate back down through Indonesia and over to Madagascar, almost coming full circle, while still other trails spread out into the Pacific. Other paths through the Caucasus pass through the Steppes of Russia and out through Siberia and over to Kamchatka and into Alaska, down through the Americas to Tierra del Fuego...waiting, only to be met years later by distant cousins who took a hard left out of Africa, ending up in the far borders of the European ice sheet's decline, mixing with others who went through the Caucasus and eventually regrouped in the Balkans and headed further North, further west to Iberia, Great Britain and Scandinavia.

Culture is the interaction of the different ethnic groupings at any given point on the continuum with the environmental context within which they happen to find themselves at any given moment. The environmental context is not just geographical or climatic, but also biological (what plants and animals can become resources) and communal (what other ethnic groups also inhabit that area and affect the first group, either negatively or positively).

Race, on the other hand, there is no clear cut definition for that because it is wholly mythical.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Sphota

I agree with yer premise 100%, but your missing my point. The fact that anyone would delve into a a**backwards culture just for the sake of peacocking, merely points to the lack of intelligence on their part to include the magnitude of superficial mide they currently reside in.

If you want to exchange about human nature Im all for it, in the end however Im sure we'd reach the same conclusion. people are stupid...especially those who accept and participate in hip hop culture for the sake of fitting in.

When you lose your own self identity, thats when you fall into a stereotype and/or catagory and become as stupid as everyone else.

Again i dont care what color you are, just leave the drama for your momma.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Benoit84

I dont see this as an issue really. Im in an interracial marriage, its about people having the ability to choose who they want to be with, not restricting such thing because certain people are afraid that certain ethnicities or races may be diluted. That simply wont happen, imo. Everyone has preferances and are entitled to them.

okay this is a bit of a personal question, but are you planning on having children with this person? If you are, then quite frankly it isn't your choice who you have kids with, who the mother of your child has a massive impact on your children and their future, so its not just about you, its about your future children and their well being you have to take into account.

There has been a lot of study into mixed race children in the last few years, and none of it positive, mixed race children are more prone to psychological issues and disorders even to the point of the kids actually hating one side of themselves (eg the black side or the asian side etc) just because they are mixed race.

here are the results of one such study

Children that are conceived biracial and multiracial, tend to have concerns relating to their existence, and struggle to find a common ground among the single race population. Through the many stages leading to maturity, it has been noted that biracial and multicultural children encounter self-esteem and self-concept problems, which can lead to poor psychological adjustment

orrin-burton.suite101.com...

I dont see this as an issue really. Im in an interracial marriage, its about people having the ability to choose who they want to be with, not restricting such thing because certain people are afraid that certain ethnicities or races may be diluted. That simply wont happen, imo. Everyone has preferances and are entitled to them.

well ive just given you a reason, because the fact is people who say to bi-racial people "ohh u've got the best of both worlds" are idiots, bi-racial dont have the best of both worlds!!! guite the opposite is true in fact, if your bi-racial, then ur not half asian half black etc

NO! the truth is you are NEITHER BLACK OR ASIAN! and this is why mixed race people have these sort of issues, because they dont fit in anywhere, i know about this first hand cos i may be considered bi-racial myself (i'm half askenazi jew half white) so i know where these people are coming from and and which is why i strongly agree with the OP, and think interracial relationships should be illegal they dont do anyone any good

i was actually planning to do a thread on this myself to make people aware of the dangers of interracial relationships, one of those dangers being the extinction of the white race, wont go into it in detail here but it is a very real threat. But nonetheless i advise you strongly not to have children with people of a different race, if you want kids go and adopt one, but dont put your offspring through this trauma, they will not thank you for it.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Why would I want to limit myself to just white English women. I like black women, latino women, chinese and japanese women, Indian women. I don't care what colour skin they have as long as I find them attractive. Maybe thats just me being selfish. But with so many beautiful women of other races in the world why would anyone want to limit their choice?

It would be awful if we had to make our choice of partner based on race. Love is colour blind

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Orrite??, yes we have 2 children, a 3 year old girl and a 1 year old son. So far, no issues at all. They are loved by both sides equally, no one has EVER said anything bigoted towards them or myself. The only looks we get are from total strangers, usually older white people who give me the "how can you betray your race like that?" kind of look. Lol But of course none of those people have the guts to say anything to my or my husbands face.
I have read studies like that before and to me, people use it like a scare tactic to keep people of biracial marriages from having children. The bottom line of why biracial children may have a harder time is racism on both sides and bullying. They get treated like less of a person by SOME people because they arent 'white enough' or 'black enough' or whatever the mix may be. Lord help the people who treat my kids that way.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by orrite??

It's not like those children exist in a void. It's not like there isn't any sort of cause for their social issues or any stigma they might feel.

The mainstream social narrative breeds a de facto segregation in a lot of ways. Biethnic children, depending on the ethnicities being discussed, totally tear down that wall of separation just by their existence. In the past, Italian and Irish or Christian and Jewish or Catholic and Protestant marriages were frowned upon. Eventually those marriages became so common place it became sanctioned by society and few people will even bat an eye.

Yet, if a good Polish-American Catholic girl marries a Southern Black Man, well then you have heads turning.

As far as the children, let me tell you a story about a magical place where multiethnic children are the rule, not the exception. It's a far away place where the descendants of the slaves, of the colonizers from Europe, of the Immigrants from other parts of Europe and Asia, and even the Native Americans have all mixed and remixed over and over again.

It's a place called Brazil. Walk down the street some time in Brazil and you will see children who look kinda Black, but maybe kinda White too. SOme look a little Asian, but maybe a little Black and...is that Ukrainian bone structure? Yes...yes it is.

See, in Brazil, where I'm not going to pretend that racism doesn't exist, social mobilitiy was linked to the lighter tone of your skin. In that case, many people married "up", so to speak, so that their children would be lighter skin. While nowadays such practice is a bit latent under the social surface of society, many people are so mixed, ethnically, in ways in the US it would seem outlandish.

When I taught there, I had a student that was part Native American, part Black African and part Japanese.
Another student was Polish, Italian and Turkish.
Another student was Black and Italian.
Still another was Italian and Japanese.

Down there they don't have social issues fitting in. I never witnessed it. It's kind of hard to stand out when everyone is mixed, right?

So...there might be psycho-social issues with these children, but I think if Margaret Meade were here, she would give us a little hint that this is not about nature, but rather nurture...there's nothing inherently psychological about being multiethnic, it's the way the social norms cause you to be analyzed under society's lens of scrutiny..

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
ModernAcademia- I expected you to get blasted when I saw the title of your thread. People have been brainwashed for several decades now to assume that to even QUESTION whether it has been a good idea to inter-marry or not will automatically get you labeled as racist, misquote what you said, accuse you of things you didnt say and more. That is how narrow things have become.

I see nothing wrong with having a logical discussion on whether or not it has been a positive or a negative thing on society as a whole. I see nothing wrong with talking about the long term influences on such a major change in societies as we have always known them.

For me personally, I lean towards the "preserving one's culture" camp. That is just my opinion. Look at the historical artifacts that have been discovered thru the years from cultures long gone, such as the mayans. Had they not preserved their cultures we wouldnt have all of that wonderful history now.

What will future generations learn from us about mixing races? Now THAT's a discussion to be had.

new topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join