It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USA: Being funny could send you to prison now

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by MichaelYoung

But it was a crime.

Which paragraph, exactly?

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by MichaelYoung

The guy is stupid, irresponsible, and a bad parent.

...says the guy advocating possibly dropping your child on the ground from 6-7 feet or more after tossing them up in the air?

While I won't disagree that what he did was stupid, approving MORE actually-dangerous "acceptable" activities while condemning a bad decision for a funny picture strikes me as more than a little ironic, and less than a little sensible.
edit on 1/28/2012 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

This bit: A dad posts a picture of his daughter on Facebook, with her mouth, hands and feet taped,

Really, you need to argue that?

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

To a certain extent, a fair point. But have you ever tossed a child in the air? It really, really isn't dangerous. Sure, there is a tiny chance of injury, but I'd be willing to bet it's a lower risk than driving your child in a car, sending your child to school, or feeding your child eggs. A certain amount of physical risk is in every childish activity, from running to playing with lego to playing on a swing or roundabout. Pictures of children tied with tape is not in the same category, really.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

Originally posted by insaan

A dad posts a picture of his daughter on Facebook, with her mouth, hands and feet taped, and a comment under the picture which said "This is wut happens wen my baby hits me back. ; )".

But that isn't funny.

First of all, yes it is. When's the last time you went to a comedy club? Never, exactly. People that don't know or understand funny are going to ruin comedy in this country.

Secondly, I'll just let the late Patrice O'Neal school you on the importance of letting comedy be comedy.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Sunsetspawn

The video shows exactly two sides of the fence in this thread, perfect match, thanks ..

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Three pages in this thread and not one picture of the actual event.

Nothing funny about this. (I doubt she thought it was funny.)

In fact, those who think it is humorous need to reexamine what kind of person they've become.

Pathetic, those who would support this as just plain old fun.

edit on 28-1-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Thank you. I wondered where this notion that the child was a participating 7-year old came from.
Anyone care to retract their laughter?

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
That's not funny at all...

but a 7 year sentence? That's what...one tenth of a humans life?

From the country that brought us Jackass

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Although I do not like looking at that image,
I can say now with almost 100% certainty that this is abuse.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

Thats different than taping someone up, it's just weird to me. I'm not saying crucify the guy or even charge him. I'm just saying It's not normal activity.
edit on 28-1-2012 by LongbottomLeaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

That's what I'm saying it isn't a normal thing to do.
"hey man what you doin today?"
"nuthin much just chillin and taping up my daughter"
"......what?"

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I'm surprised nobody has commented on the wording of his post. "This is wut happens when my baby hits me back."

"Hits me back"? So he is admitting to hitting his daughter?

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

I think it more likely meant that he was punishing her for hitting him. But now that you mention "hitting me back", it is an odd way to phrase it without setting the implication he was somehow "hitting" her first.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Sunsetspawn

Originally posted by Sunsetspawn

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

But that isn't funny.

First of all, yes it is. When's the last time you went to a comedy club? Never, exactly. People that don't know or understand funny are going to ruin comedy in this country.

These → Extreme Idiots Compilations 1, 2, & 3 ← videos are funny.

This↓ is not funny.

This↑ is not comedy.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross
I'm surprised nobody has commented on the wording of his post. "This is wut happens when my baby hits me back."

"Hits me back"? So he is admitting to hitting his daughter?

This is exactly what I was about to post----glad I read all posts first.

She hit him BACK. That's the proof it's not a joke----who among you would predicate the joke on the fact that you were hitting your daughter and this was the punishment for her hitting you back? That's effing ridiculous. He posted the picture like one of those parents who brags that they spank their kids every day because they're such an awesome old-school parent who won't let their kid be a criminal when they grow up, so spanking is the answer.

This man got caught, and GOOD. Those of you who are parents and are cool with this picture scare the hell out of me. If this is the way you're raising your kids, I hope my kids never come into contact with yours, and that your kids end up with no power over anyone else, ever, in their entire lives. If this is how you raise your kids, you're monsters.

Baby mouthing beer bottle=joke.
Baby dressed as businessman=joke.
Baby "riding" dog=joke

Little girl bound and gagged with duct tape DOES NOT EQUAL JOKE!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I agree, it is far from funny, and any parent who thinks this picture is funny deserves to have their children taken from them.

22 months old? Taped together like that? Lock the idiot up, find better parents for the child.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
This article and this thread leaves way too many questions to really have an unemotional educated opinion. Just not enough information from the link provided to determine how the police decided charges were warranted, and how the judge established that high of bail.

Can 22 month old children speak? If so what did she say?

For me personally the act is completely stupid! I feel the girl is too young 22 months to be part of the joke. She cannot comprehend the humor, so how could she understand it was a joke?

Doesn't this state have a Department of Child Protective Services? If so, did they come over and interview the family (mother too)? Did they make a recommendation to the court? The court obviously had access to some type of information to set bail at 100k!

Just not enough information here. I googled it and all the stories I opened seemed to provide the same information.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Child is too young for that to be a joke.

Having said that, I have had to restrain my 18 year old on election day to prevent her from canceling my vote.

K

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
If the kid was ok, and the community was ok, why put anyone in jail?

I just can't figure out who the victim was.
Ah, she was 22 months old? That's a bit young, but if she was young and there was no pattern of abuse, then it was a very bad joke indeed.
edit on 28-1-2012 by hadriana because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join