It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Occupation has Failed

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Thought there would be some here interested in this...

1 Occupy Anchorage Igloos!
2 Occupy Atlanta Re-occupied Woodruff Park after the raid, stopped foreclosure this week.
3 Occupy Austin Nice story in Daily Texan about OccupySupply helping them prepare for winter
4 Occupy Berkeley 90 tents
5 Occupy
Birmingham Marched with Alabama civic & religious leaders to protest state immigration law
6 Occupy
Bloomington Longest running occupation?
7 Occupy Boise Highs in the 30s, lows in the teens, but hanging in there
8 Occupy Boulder Working with city on permit
9 Occupy Buffalo Just opened 2nd encampment
10 Occupy Cedar
Rapids Says they have a stable location through the winter
11 Occupy Chapel Hill Expanding, building bridges with local congregations
12 Occupy Charlotte Growing, now 30 tents
13 Occupy Claremont City council may intervene, but police say they’re not breaking any laws
14 Occupy Cleveland Recently worked with Youngstown & Ashtabula to encamp vs. foreclosure
15 Occupy Columbia
SC Won their court battle; judge says they can stay
16 Occupy Dover DE Just celebrated their 1 month anniversary
17 Occupy Kstreet Expanding to local black churches
18 Occupy Lancaster
PA Renewing the permit that expires January 1
19 Occupy Delaware Won a ruling from a judge that recognized the tent city as a form of protected speech.
20 Occupy DesMoines Launching Occupy the Caucus, urging people to vote “uncommitted”
21 Occupy Erie Re-occupied the gazebo yesterday, looking good in OccupySupply
22 Occupy Eugene City installed lights at request of campers, increasing budget to help homeless
23 Occupy Fairbanks Yes, there’s an Occupy Fairbanks. No #.
24 Occupy Freedom
Plaza Feed 140 people each day
25 Occupy FtWayne Flash mob at the Glenbrook Mall last weekend reminding people to shop local
26 Occupy Gainesville Organizing Florida occupations for upcoming FL legislative session
27 Occupy Harrisburg Organizing around state redistricting
28 Occupy Houston Celebrated International Migrants Day by protesting prison industrial complex
29 Occupy Huntsville AL City gave them a spot
30 Occupy IowaCity Mic checked Newt Gingrich last week

Link

Check out the link for 31 other locations and remember this doesn't count other strategies in some of the major cities that have been evacuated (see my previous post for foreclosure occupations) as well as social networking campaigns. Also, I was in Sebastople, Ca yesterday and was reminded that though evictions have occurred, many cities still maintain an information tent in front of City Hall...

Agree with it or not but calling the Occupation movement over is kind of jumping the gun...and I wonder how many people have actually gone to visit an occupy rally/protest to get first hand experience rather than base their opinion solely on what the mainstream media presents...
edit on Wed, 21 Dec 2011 17:03:10 -0600 by MemoryShock because: I tried to format the list but it still looks like crap. Visit the link for easier reading...

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by kellynap43
reply to post by newcovenant

Too bad they didnt think of it before the tea party did! lol

I agree but without the one I don't think there could have been the other. If nothing else the Tea Party brought the take it to the streets theme alive. They deserve the credit for being first, at least here in the US during the year of the Protester and they got the ball rolling for OWS.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   

There is a huge difference between Occupy and the Tea Party.

For one, Occupy doesn't waste thousands of dollars to listen to Palin (and others) yammer on about BS. The Tea Party did nothing but contribute to the salivating atmosphere in American Politics...

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
Agree with it or not but calling the Occupation movement over is kind of jumping the gun...and I wonder how many people have actually gone to visit an occupy rally/protest to get first hand experience rather than base their opinion solely on what the mainstream media presents...

I was in Portland OR, about a week ago. Saw a few people hanging out. Not really much going on at the time. I spoke to a few of them on my way through the area. Then last Friday here in Washington State on my way to work I saw a couple of guys hanging at our Local Park holding signs.

To be honest I didn't stop to talk to either of them.

As far as the Media. I'll take your word for it. I never turn the TV on these days. Unless it's movie night with Pizza & Beer.

edit on 21-12-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I, being a part of Occupy, agree that Occupy has served its purpose, for now.

It served to start all kinds of conversation throughout the U.S. and world, and create ultra-fast communication/mobilization networks on the internet. It brought like-minded people together to give us hope that we aren't alone.

However, largely because of the media, the Occupy name has been smeared and I think that for now, it should end.

Not too far in the future, though, I believe that we will come back with a different name, a clearer, more revolutionary agenda, and more people.

We need to start over, but it will, in my opinion, be a great new beginning. (:

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant
reply to post by StarPeace

The Occupation has succeeded in ways you will never know.

Pssst! If we'll "never know" of these alleged successes, just how successful WERE they, really?

No star, no flag for disparaging people who at least tried to effect change.

"trying to effect change" implies some sort of action - that's what TRYING implies. It goes beyond mere drum-beating.

They tried to get attention, and absolutely nothing more. Instead of the "me" generation, they are the "look at me!" generation.

edit on 2011/12/21 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
That phase appears to be over but the momentum is there, the funding is there and the time is ripe for a new phase.

Phase 2 must be something very creative. It should attract even more people. It should attract those who are curreently on the fence - who support OWS, but didn't go out to the protests... or who are not sure, but think they support OWS...

The next phase needs to attract MORE people.You must look at how the 1% has been so successful in doing this and keeping people asleep. They make it EASY, and they make it FUN. Watch this sitcom.... have some Ben and Jerrys...there now, feel better about the toxins you breathe in every day now, the healtcare you don't get, the retirement fund you don't have? No? Have some beer, watch UFC....have some more beer. How about now?

So... understand this: If you want the public on its own side, you HAVE to make it easy for them. It's just too tempting to block out thinking about their problems instead, and they're just too tired to be instantly motivated to work hard for a goal they don't quite understand yet. They're already working their fingers to the bone. CAN they be encouraged to work hard for their own rights? YOU BET. Is that the best way to get them interested in the first place? Well, no. Most are too far away from understanding the goals of OWS to understand that it won't just be a wasted effort, if they stand there out in the cold being ridiculed and pepper sprayed and accused of being dirty, violent, spoiled, [insert insult here] hippies by coworkers, friends, etc. No thanks, they'd rather work overtime to get that measley extra paycheck to try to buy something nice for their kid, and then collapse exhausted in front of the TV. Can you blame them??

Do not expect the majority to be willing to suffer discomfort when they don't yet know what they'll be suffering for. First you must sell them the goal. Be specific, be concrete so this is a future that can really be anticipated. Focus on something everyone wants. Specific goals regarding laws to prevent corruption and money in politics. To prevent central banks and 'too big to fail' anything from having so much power. Things that, truly, 99% of the world would agree with, if they understood what it really means to them. And all the while, fill them with hope - NEVER despair.

Get them interested in this topic, get them interested in wanting to learn more about it on their own. Do this by making it FUN, and making it EASY.

Think of things that are VIRAL and FUN. They don't have to exist on the internet but news about them should transmit well on the internet, because that's how most people are going to hear about them.

These could each be short-lived things, make everyone laugh and think a little, or touch their hearts with reminders of kindness and love a little, and then go away. But each one of them would bolster the OWS message. While making the people laugh. While filling hearts with hope and joy. This is what will make them feel excited, feel like "hey, I have [X talent], how can I help with this?" You could tie them all together with the phrase "Occupy [X]."

By the time the weather warms, Occupy will be a common chant in everyone's heart. A chant for hope, for love for laughter and for a bright future.

Start brainstorming...everyone should start brainstorming. And if you have a good idea, share it with everyone interested in OWS that you know.... and ask for their help to make it a reality!

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

You forgot to mention one other thing they did...and that is stand up for YOUR rights. But no, your inconvenienced life is worth more than the millions that are losing everything because of what they stood against.

Please!! The military has been standing up for your rights for 230+ years and they have been shat upon by more people here on ATS than I can count. OWS represented general anger and frustration as well as distrust of TPTB. Big deal!!! They provided absolutely no direction, no leadership, no plan and NO RESULTS. OWS never represented me or the majority anyway - They are 1/10th of 1% at best. The majority of American’s don’t act like this…

I knew they would fail – I said they would fail – they have failed.

Now they need to occupy a shower then occupy a voting booth…we have an historic election coming up. There is one more opportunity to save our country and we have 11 months to figure it out.

EDIT: I would post the picks of them….lets say…..relieving themselves in public (and on cop cars)….but the mods will just take them down again.

edit on 21-12-2011 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Far from over. Wait until spring when every protester that can travel meets up in Washington. Trust me when I say when this thing sparks back up when it gets warm it will be bigger than it ever was. If this early fall attempt annoyed you, I wish I could see your face when spring rolls around.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

The majority of American’s don’t act like this…

That first image isn't from any Occupy in America. Nice try though.
The protests have only begun in the U.S. Watch.
Americans speaking their mind deserve more support than the military at this point in time. Fact.

edit on 21-12-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Yeah, and when you lose everything from your savings to your house

What makes you think people who planned ahead will lose either of those things?

and finally your right to be a human being, will you then be as happy as you are now?

Lose the "right to be a human being"? Bit overly dramatic there, isn't it?

You forgot to mention one other thing they did...and that is stand up for YOUR rights.

I did not catch anyone at OWS standing up for MY rights. Matter of fact, I never caught any of them standing up for their own, either.

But no, your inconvenienced life is worth more than the millions that are losing everything because of what they stood against.

Where are "millions" losing anything "because of what they stood against"? Is that more of that heightened drama?

Maybe they lost because YOU didn't stand up.

Maybe I would have stood with them had they stood for something worth standing for. Maybe they should keep that in mind for Phase II. Aren't "maybes" fun?

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
The Occupy movement was over and done by the half way mark.
It died due to the lack of direction and leadership, failing to get the one group it would need for a strong outpouring and continuance, the general public. In hind sight, while protesting was a good idea, the way it was carried out was terrible. What stated goals and who ultimately was responsible was never very clear and the protestors themselves started to become nuisances to the very people that they were wanting to help. How they presented themselves, either separated them from the very public they sought to help, or were presented in a very negative light, by their very own actions. And to make matters far worse, they threw the first punch, showing that those within their midst’s were not there for peaceful means.
Then they became political tools, pawns to be used and sacrificed in favor of one party, to gather support and a coalition to vote the current president back into power in 2012. No, the moment that the first punch was thrown, unions and even organizations like ACORN and SEIU got involved, the movement was dead and over, slowly dying over time. And the ultimate problem in the end was that they put the various local governments at odds, with either following the spirit of the law, or the letter of the law, creating a no win situation for all involved.
Hopefully, if they do choose to continue anew in the spring, they will have learned the lessons that they need to, have a leadership and accountability for their actions, and if they can win the PR war, then they will succeed, if not it will once again, be doomed to fail.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMindWar

The occupation did not fail IMO, it woke alot more people up
these protests are nothing compared to what is comming. People are going to have a choice to make, stand and fight or ignore it and die. Simple.

It's bad form to force a war on to people who prefer peace. When you back some of us into a corner and give us the choice to "fight or die" as you have done here, you will, without a doubt, have a surprise coming, and I'm willing to bet it will be one that you won't be happy with,

Do so at your own peril. You have been warned.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

So people who didn't plan ahead do deserve to be screwed by poor government management?
They were standing up for your right to free speech and their own.
Come on. You guys just want to hate a group of people because you are jaded. You see a lot of young kids out there and the geezer comes out in you and you start ripping on them. They are taking a stand for what they believe in. They recognize a problem in the country and they are taking what action they can. All the people that are against them need to grow up. Don't support them, fine, but don't spend all your time railing against them and trying to convince others not to support them.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock

There is a huge difference between Occupy and the Tea Party.

For one, Occupy doesn't waste thousands of dollars to listen to Palin (and others) yammer on about BS. The Tea Party did nothing but contribute to the salivating atmosphere in American Politics...

Oh yeah??

How many self-proclaimed “occupiers” hold public office? Pelosi cries every day about how the Tea Party is messing things up in Washington! What impact has OWS made?

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

I think you missed the point of that posters post.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
There's so much that many of you on here don't know about and thus you speak from ignorance, there's plenty on the link paged alone. I've stopped making threads on Occupy because frankly you can't read with blinders on. You (OP) say it's dead, I say you have no idea what you're talking about.

More people are heading to DC, Occupy DC grows by the day and Occupy sites that have been evicted have gone on to other things but it takes actual research to find those stories.
edit on 21-12-2011 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

They have caused an amendment to the Constitution to be introduced. A very good one. One that would be hugely beneficial to all Americans if it could get support. The Tea Party of just help up the government and are the reason things like the OCCUPIED amendment can't pass. The "Tea Party" people in the government (I use quotations because really the are just GOP party members that fooled TP into voting for them. They are all just TP choice, not actual TP candidates) haven't done anything decent.

The Occupy movement also shed light on the restrictions of free speech in this country and excessive force the government is willing to use on peaceful demonstrators.

P.S. You really should do something about that picture of the burning car you incorrectly attributed to American protesters in your attempt to further your ignorant agenda.

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by OceanGeek
By the time the weather warms, Occupy will be a common chant in everyone's heart. A chant for hope, for love for laughter and for a bright future.

You left out Sunshine, Rainbows and Unicorns.

Start brainstorming...everyone should start brainstorming. And if you have a good idea, share it with everyone interested in OWS that you know.... and ask for their help to make it a reality!

Here are but a few "New Ideas" to start with

No Union involvement, No Communist Agenda, No Civil disobedience, No Advocating Violence, No Advocating Armed conflict, No more Destruction of Public and Private Property and No Occupation of Foreign Consulates.

Do develop a clear agenda, establish clear leadership and take on personal responsibility.

Lets start there then we'll talk about trying to represent the real 99%

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by seabag

They have caused an amendment to the Constitution to be introduced. A very good one. One that would be hugely beneficial to all Americans if it could get support.

P.S. You really should do something about that picture of the burning car you incorrectly attributed to American protesters in your attempt to further your ignorant agenda.

So they’ve managed to get 1 of 1,000 pieces of paper in front of Congress??? WOW!! You have to actually ACCOMPLISH something to claim an accomplishment!
Nice try though!

And here is your pic! This is from Occupy Oakland!! Normal Americans don't act like the fools pictured below!!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join