It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Irony alert: U.S. calls on Russia to respect peaceful protests

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Irony alert: U.S. calls on Russia to respect peaceful protests

The United States called Friday on both Russian authorities and protesters to remain peaceful as opponents of Prime Minister Vladimir Putin prepared major weekend demonstrations against his rule.

Putin has angrily accused the United States of inciting the protests after Secretary of State Hillary Clinton raised concerns about the fairness of parliamentary elections that Putin’s party won but with a reduced majority.

State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said that the United States supported the right to peaceful protest in Russia as it does “anywhere in the world.”

They really are a bunch of funny people aren't they?

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Hypocrites, among a long list of other things.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I...

I...

totally lost for words.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
The government was paid off by George Soros!

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

The irony is lost on few in the world .... but many in the US.....

ozyism.blogspot.com...

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
HAHHAHAAHAHAHH! No words for this! Just LOL. What were they even thinking before they said that.. jheez

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   

True , there is an obvious amount of hippocracy there, but overall, from the footage that I have seen,
those russian police seem to have a lesser threshold of tolerance. They seem to be much more agressive
in terms of hauling protesters off. God knows what they do to the protesters in the back room over there.
Sure, I think the pepper spraying of the students that occured here was excessive and unwarranted, but
generally protesters who are arrested here end up with a slap on the wrist so to speak.
That is unless you get hit in the head by a tear gas canister.

I'm not too well informed on the peaceful protest laws over in Moscow, are you?
I guess we should research that . S&F

edit on 11-12-2011 by Wildmanimal because: spelling

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Remember to make the distinction between a peaceful protest and one in which it has been infiltrated by thugs bent on violence and creating disturbances. The two things are not the same. When a regime puts down a peaceful protest, then you can justly be alarmed.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Double standards. While the NYPD beats down protestors in New York, the State Department calls for Russia to respect peaceful protestors over there.

Hows about the US Government respect its own peaceful protestors before criticizing any other Government.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Get real people....

You know I've read all the claims of Hypocrisy in many replies here at ATS and elsewhere but...

What I haven't seen is the overwhelming "Out-Cry" over police brutality of Muscovites [And Others in Russia] by their police like there have been about US Police [After Months] of OWS Protests.

Remind me again, How many months were Muscovites allowed to protest and or occupy anything before their police moved in and forced the demonstrators to disperse?

Pepper Spray and rubber bullets vs Batons and jack boots.
Apples and Oranges here.

Hypocrisy and Irony Indeed!

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

So, it's okay that in America students are beaten up, pepper sprayed and fired on because they were there for longer than a day? Do I have this right?

Sorry, but however you look at it, this is hypocrisy.
Both groups of people are protesting peacefully against their government, and both groups have been attacked by state controlled forces.
Whether they are protesting for an hour or a month is neither here nor there.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

Melodramatic much?

Simply pointing the obvious hypocrisy and Irony in a thread attempting to point out the supposed hypocrisy and Irony is not saying it's ok to beat anybody up for any reason.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   

How is it being melodramatic as you put it to state it is double standards for the US to criticize or call on the Russian Government to respect peaceful protests of its Citizens when the US are not respecting the right to protest peacefully in their own country.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual

Whether they are protesting for an hour or a month is neither here nor there.

On the contrary.

As much as some may desperately attempt to downplay and sidestep that bit of reality it does demonstrate Tolerance by the State and the State recognizing the rights of the protesters to express themselves and have their message heard. They did so not for hours, days or weeks but Months.

Their message was heard, televised and discussed to death online, in the news and print.

Unlike some places.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousFem

You know...

I haven't heard one ioda out of anybody in this thread so far condemn the Police brutality of the Protesters yet. It seems many are more concerned about posting about supposed "Irony and Hypocrisy" instead of the well being of the average Joe/Sasha Muscovite protester.

One would expect some sort of sympathetic message in their support against Police brutality [whether at the hands of the NYPD or Moscow Police etc] of any Protesters.

Now why is that?

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
probably because of the agenda that is in place for some people.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Any post with regards to Police brutality, I am usually the first one to condemn it. Any topic on this subject wither it is protestors in Greece, USA, UK, Or Russia I have criticized and condemned it. For the US how ever to criticize Russia over the use of their tactics while their own police forces and security forces are doing the exact same thing, flies in the face off hypocrisy. It is not being melodramatic, it is actually pointing out the double standards.
edit on 11-12-2011 by AnonymousFem because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Official responses to Politics on one level...official responses to OWS protestors on another level...

seems the USA is using a lot of psychology here... making a desperate attempt to both justify using force on OWS participants and implying that the 'moderate' force, as in pepper-spray directly into the eyes & faces of non-violent protestors... is the 'proper' action on all levels.

the USA stand and tone is both rhetorical and hypocritical....so what's new?

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I've been to several peaceful protests in the past. They were clean, respectful, and we got our message out.

Occupy, is not protest. Occupy, is...... um...... well, it's an occupy. It's a form of protest that doesn't so much want to convey a message but demand change on their terms, by their rules, by their definitions.

Apples and oranges, people.

To compare the two types or the two approaches is akin to posting a message on ATS versus replacing SO and Springer and stating what will be posted!

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousFem
Any post with regards to Police brutality, I am usually the first one to condemn it. Any topic on this subject wither it is protestors in Greece, USA, UK, Or Russia I have criticized and condemned it

Yet, Your very first post in this thread was aimed at pointing out the supposed "Irony and Hypocrisy" instead of coming out in favor of the Protesters. This thread is just dripping with Irony...

For the US how ever to criticize Russia over the use of their tactics while their own police forces and security forces are doing the exact same thing, flies in the face off hypocrisy.

Really?

I wonder how things would have gone down in Russia had their Government allowed the Protesters to camp out and given them much more time [Say Months on end] to get their message out? See, There is a reason the Russian came down so hard and quickly on them

They are afraid of it spreading...

It is not being melodramatic, it is actually pointing out the double standards.

Yes..

There is a double standard here. One that some choose to ignore.

edit on 11-12-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join