It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran displays captured US drone

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by dplum517
reply to post by TheOdogg

Is it just me or are they not giving a link or sharing the video?

.....This is precisely the reason we have drones. No loss of human life.

You would think they would put a self destruct mechanism in those things

edit on 8-12-2011 by dplum517 because: (no reason given)

No loss of human life? Think, if only for a second about what you're saying ...

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

I have been deployed to the middle east along Iran's border of Iraq in the Diyala Province. They are not cavemen and or barbarians.....

In this, we are agreed.

I have mentioned this, in regards to this topic, and these people.

I think I said, "They are not simple goat herders".....a common sort of stereotype.

During the "political" interference by the USA, and during the regime of the "Shah"....much "western" influence flowed to that country......

Of course, that was then.....NOW is what matters.....
edit on Fri 9 December 2011 by ProudBird because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

You seem deadset on this official statement and how it's the truth. Why are you so certain that this (still early) statement is the absolute rundown? From what has been released so far the C.I.A. was in charge of this operation...and we all know what those guys and gals are adept at.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Marrr

Oh I never said its the truth, please quote me if I did, tbi and all...

But having seen the images of the alleged craft, there is no way it was shot down. I've been on Quick Reactionary Force missions for Downed Aircraft Recovery Team, aka QRF DART, and there is no way that was shot down.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

I see, then I misunderstood you. I don't believe it was shot down either. You'd have to figure any anti-aircraft fire would puncture the top skin of the vehicle, and I see none of that. Engine failure perhaps?

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   
It was flown there directly from US....

Anything else, is simply poppycock, as our friends across the pond would term it...

Either that, or it was produced for effect...

One way or another, there is more behind this event, than a simple aircraft incident...

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by freetree64
It was flown there directly from US....

One way or another, there is more behind this event, than a simple aircraft incident...

Would you please provide a reference for that?

On a different matter.....I noticed in the video that one (perhaps two) ailerons(?) was in the raised position. Who knows the significance of that if any. I'm not a pilot, nor have I ever been, but would that piece raised, would that not provide lift and a circular flight path prior to crash or loss of communication with the vehicle?

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
news.sky.com...
Unbelievable close up view.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Marrr

Just a couple of recent headlines, not reference mind you, but intent, nonetheless, towards the eventual outcome...

app.com.pk...

www.turkishweekly.net...

htmlworldradio.ch...

edit on 9-12-2011 by freetree64 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-12-2011 by freetree64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by RMFX1

Originally posted by e11888

Originally posted by RMFX1

Originally posted by e11888

This is like giving a computer to a cave man. What are they going to do with it? Probably break it, hit it with a hammer a bit and turn it into a house. Seriously who cares?

Speaking of cavemen, your comment sure reads like something I would expect to come from one. The Iranians cannot be likened to cavemen in any sense and to do so only shows your ignorance.

Bravo.
edit on 8-12-2011 by RMFX1 because: (no reason given)

Hi I take everything I read so seriously that I insult others because I cant understand the concept of sarcasm.

Go outside. Get some fresh air.

There is absolutely nothing in your post that indicates that you were being sarcastic. Nothing at all. Not even something like this:

BS, you weren't being sarcastic. Narrow minded and uninformed? Most certainly.

e11888: You sir, just got ROFL'd. Quit diggin' and just walk away.

On topic, I think it's too early to tell what will come of this. I'll definitely be keeping my eye on it. Thank you OP, for bringing this to our attention. Some of us actually understand Iran's true capabilities.

Cheers,
Strype

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by YodleAjax

According to that video, Iran claims the drone was about 150 miles inside their airspace when taken down. Also claimed to have taken control and steered it to the ground.

At least we have a distance now. One thing I didn't catch was the puncture on the left wing that looks like it was whacked with a sledgehammer.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by freetree64

Not to judge, but you suspect that this was a sacrificial lamb to instigate war? This was reported as a C.I.A. operation...so if that's your outlook, it's just as damn fair as anything else imo.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Marrr

Yes, indeed, after all war can be instigated in a variety of ways.... Not withstanding, provocation through covert means, allowing for a simpler transition due to public opinion being swayed, by what appears to be, versus, what actually is... No?

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by freetree64

There are certain elements that would very much like to see that happen for sure. But I need a bit more information before I can come to that conclusion myself.

edit on 9-12-2011 by Marrr because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Amazing, isn't it, that this happened to show up just today.....

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by FurvusRexCaeli

Unless you know the crypto mode used by the UAV, and have successfully implemented it, and have the traffic encryption key used by the UAV ... you are not going to talk to that UAV.

You dont have to know the cryptic mode of the UAV if you know the exact radio signal send to the UAV from its operator. The operator controlling the UAV is sending the right encrypted signals already. That signal can be detected by ESM detection systems, and then duplicated by a different active radio system to take control.

It has more to do with direction finding, jamming, and traffic analysis than spoofing.

If you can detect and jam the exact radio signal from the operator controlling the UAV, You can also duplicate it, because you already know what frequencies its working on.

How much control is a different issue because that depends on the value and amount of signals they have managed to duplicate. But clearly they have managed to duplicate enough signals to get it down in one peace. It was probably not a perfect landing but good enough to leave it this intact.

Iran has probably been spying on the UAV while it has flying missions over Afghanistan. They have studied the control signal with the help of its ESM detection systems. It has a good range of 800km.

There is another option. Iran can have duplicated the homing beacon which the UAV flies to when it looses communication with its operators on the ground. Iran can have set up their own beacon somewhere in Iran and then jammed the UAV s communication abilities. And then the UAV flies to the Iranian beacon and lands.
edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Marrr

Would we have expected the drone to self destruct in 5, 4, 3, 2, what happened.10!.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Im not all that upto date on iranian hacking abilitys, or wether they would be able to take control of one of these systems, however I think there is a good chance that a chinese team working on the ground in Iran, in conjunction with the iranians may have been able to do it.

the chinese have hacking into the system all over the world for years, even into satellites as has been recently reported. So there is a chance they managed to gather enough info while hacking into defense contracts etc over the years to devise a method of gaining control.

it would be in both china's and irans interest to give it a shot at least. china gets the tech, which they are learn from, Iran get the PR and looks strong. America is embarrassed.

whether or not the item in the video is real, im not sure, but it is clear that something distrupted the UAV's mission, I doubt it was shot down, or detected by traditional means.(radar).

however if you have the ability to take control of such a device. then you surely have a method of detecting its control broadcasts/signals to triangulate a general location.

Iran and China would have known these things where up there for years, but know it seems someone have found a way in. (maybe) malfunction is still a strong possiblitly

edit on 9-12-2011 by Coppertone because: corrected some grammer, let some there

edit on 9-12-2011 by Coppertone because: .

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by YodleAjax

We would expect, yes. However, I can't find a single source stating that the RQ-170 is equipped with a self-destruct mechanism. They are only a mere 6 million $ a copy though. Guess we can't expect too much.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   

the video is right there on the link, of course its real. the u.s. admitted it, didnt you read the article?
and holy crap that thing is huge.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join