It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OWS Hipster Vs Ex-Marine/Retired NYPD - Guess who won

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Ex-cop boots OWS heckler from congressman's swearing-in

Meet New York’s newest hero.

Kevin Hiltunen, a former NYPD officer, yesterday grabbed an Occupy Wall Street demonstrator by the collar and dragged him out of a Queens school where he’d been heckling US Rep. Bob Turner at the congressman’s swearing-in ceremony.

“I guess you could say I sorted him out,” said Hiltunen, 48, his jacket and tie barely mussed after dragging the scruffy protester out on his rear end.

“All I was doing was trying to stop this historic occasion from being disrupt-ed. There is a time and place to exercise your First Amendment rights,’’ said Hiltunen, of Bergen Beach, Brooklyn, who was identified by people at the ceremony as an ex-Marine.

Protesting and having your say is your right ... being a jerk at every opportunity is not.

Starting a New Thread?...Look Here First

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites;
*please post one or two paragraphs,
*a link to the entire story,
*AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on Mon Nov 14 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Makes me think of that guy who was heckling Niel Armstrong. Protesting is just, but you cant be obnoxious and expect to be heard.

+8 more 
posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

A great example of the difference between protesting and being a douche.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Poor marine doesnt realize what he is doing. I respect both of these people because they both think what they were doing is right. To bad the Marine won't profit off the future insider trading the congressman he helped protect will enjoy once he gets into office...

+37 more 
posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
"A time and place for 1st Amendment"?????
Every Time and Every Place? Hello?

None of you deserve liberty because you support it being trampled.

Let's pat this authoritarian cop on the back for a job well done! That's one less freedom to worry about! Bravo!

'I don't like what you say so you will be forcibly removed physically.'
Right.

And yes, you do have a right to be a jerk. But you don't have a right to touch people and pull them around because you disagree with them.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Time and place for Freedom?

America since 1776.

No exceptions.

Don't like it? I hear China will grant you citizenship. Bon Voyage!

edit on 14-11-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Exactly. That's why it's a Right and not a luxury. It does make sense that a cop/marine would have this view since they are, basically, an employee of the Government. And we all know how the Government feels about Constitutional Rights.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Time and place for Freedom?

America since 1776.

No exceptions.

Don't like it? I hear China will grant you citizenship. Bon Voyage!

star for common sence

i agree muzz and it is quite disterbing that people call for the violent removal of a citazen for "being a jerk"
hell if that was a crime half of your country would be violently removed
land of the free home of the selective free speach locations,
please apply for a govenemnt permit to speek your mind filled in triplicate and stamped by the president,
at this point you may speak

xploder

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER

please apply for a govenemnt permit to speek your mind filled in triplicate and stamped by the president,

Sad but true.

And you give far too much credit, I would suggest the entire country would be forcibly removed if being a complete jerk was a crime. Hell, the whole planet!

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
So... are you saying the person being swore in didn't have a right to speak? The people in the crowd didn't have the right to listen? Only the protester?

What about "no exceptions?"

This is a thin line, and if I were a part of OWS I wouldn't be defending this idiot. Being rude is exactly the right way to alienate potential support.

I'm sorry to the arm-chair patriots, but free speech doesn't give you carte blanche to say whatever you wish, whenever you wish. Other people have rights as well, which you have to respect. If you don't, this is what happens.

edit on 14-11-2011 by GringoViejo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Protesting and having your say is your right ... being a jerk at every opportunity is not.

I guess the founding fathers were being jerks at every opportunity then, yes? Thank god they didn't let power-tripping thugs trample them. But it's nice to see how easily the spirit of revolution in modern Amerika can be so easily quashed.

Protest against banksters - 0
Banksters and their jack-booted minions - 1

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Originally posted by XPLodER

Sad but true.

And you give far too much credit, I would suggest the entire country would be forcibly removed if being a complete jerk was a crime. Hell, the whole planet!

its easy to remove anyone you disagree with,
but it takes alot more to recognise that free speech is not only the speech you agree with,

between ten and two at the empty feild you may protest if you have had your permit filled out correctly as long as no one hears you.

it is the respociablity of a nation to have a voice and to use it,
silence is a silent agreement taken as proof of agreement
never be silent, never
it is the voice of everyman that keeps a country free,
dont tell your countrymen to be quite, as this will result in you being less free

xploder

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Haha, honestly, the pictures look like bs to me.. Then again I could just be too far gone when it comes to propaganda.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

you're actually endorsing this behaviour?

did you take a look at the pictures?

an off duty cop drags someone out by his jacket.

not being a gangster right here but i wouldn't take this, like seriously... what the hell?

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
well they time and place is now. but ratically going in and screaming could be a lil wrong >

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Also you should file charges against them for Battery since it's against the law technically.

Forcibly removing someone like this is a crime.

Battery

Battery is a criminal offense involving unlawful physical contact, distinct from assault which is the fear of such contact.

In the United States, criminal battery, or simply battery, is the use of force against another, resulting in harmful or offensive contact.[1]

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by shadowreborn89
well they time and place is now. but ratically going in and screaming could be a lil wrong ><

Which is worse? Some crazy guy screaming?

Or living in a world where no one can scream because the authoritarians will silence you by force through battery?

Voicing opinion in public = Legal.
Battery to remove protester = Illegal.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Hoping the off duty cop is charged with assault.

You have no right to put your hands on me or anyone else for the words that come out of my mouth. Those who believe that this off duty cop did something heroic should move to Syria - I just hope you agree with the administration there. I love how you self-professed righties are all about personal liberty until someone says something you don't agree with. Such hypocrisy.

edit on 14-11-2011 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
This is not what freedom looks like:

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus
Hoping the off duty cop is charged with assault.

You have no right to put your hands on me or anyone else for the words that come out of my mouth. Those who believe that this off duty cop did something heroic should move to Syria - I just hope you agree with the administration there. I love how you self-professed righties are all about personal liberty until someone says something you don't agree with. Such hypocrisy.

edit on 14-11-2011 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

Just a technicality here.

Assault is the threat of force to intimidate.
Battery is the use of force.

In law, assault is a crime causing a victim to fear violence. The term is often confused with battery, which involves physical contact.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join