It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mercedes hits 2 Occupy Oakland protesters

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Looks like somebody commited sucide to me. Wouldn't expect much less if you did that in any town or city. No crime here

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
This was clearly intentional. "Whoops, I just accidentally hit a crowd of people!"

What, did he get scared by their "We are the 99%" chant, and it spooked him so much that he hit the gas and ran a few of them over? Did their protest signs make his entire body cramp up, and caused him to gun it and crash into them?

Or maybe it was an accident. Maybe he was turning on a green light, and he was hauling ass in his Mercedes, and couldn't stop in time. I personally think it was intentional, but that's based on nothing more than an opinion.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Wait...wait...

I'm gonna play devil's advocate here.

So, the guy stops at first. Man beats on his hood. He then runs the guy over. AND THEN STOPS AND IS EVEN QUESTIONED BEFORE BEING LET GO. This is assuming I missed something and the guy actually ran.

I mean, maybe the guy is dumb but...I know if I was going to intentionally hit someone with my vehicle I wouldn't be around long enough to be questioned.

Maybe the guy was just revving his engine and in his flustered state accidentally didn't keep the brake down. I've had someone threaten to run me over before and that's one of the first things they did, rev their engine.

Now, if this was on purpose? The guy should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Regardless of how it went down, I hope the protesters get better soon!

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by outandopen
reply to post by weKNOWtheSECRETSoftheFED

pretty Ironic that they got hit by a Mercedes

Yep.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheCounselor
reply to post by steveknows

i've never heard of the word 'sook' before, but I shall now confiscate it for my own nefarious purposes.

I've seen the Roar tactic at festivals and sports events in Cincy, where some hothead revs his engine at people on the crosswalk. I'm not saying this happened, but roaring at a walking crowd does nothing to get you home any faster. knocking down people doesn't get you home at all.
The vicinity of the Ocupiers has been allover the news, there were no other roads leading home?

Were the protesters supposed to be there? I don't know about the U.S when it comes to this kind of things but in Australia protest routes are established prior to the march for the very reason of stopping the confrontion of motorists and protesters. Protesters do break from the agreed routes and then run fowl of the law and then sook when they get arrested or a punch in the face from someone they've offended by confusing the right to protests as a right to do whatever they want to whoever they want.

I think it's water cannon time. Perhaps some soap can be thrown into the mix as well.

Sook is Australian slang for cry baby.
edit on 3-11-2011 by steveknows because: Typo

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
The driver did nothing wrong. You can protest all you want, but the minute you infringe on someone else's rights's your's stop. So the guy was driving a cheap Mercedes, give him a break. I drive a Corvette, I own it, I also owm several rental properties. I make between $100,000 and $125,000 a year. Am I a part of the 1 percent?

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Do you really think that traffic should of been diverted??? Should the police cook the protestors dinner too and do their laundry???

dinner? Laundry? No. but protecting the citizens of the united states is their job, regardless if those people are protesting or going to work, it's their job. that said, they can't be everywhere at once and I don't think you can honestly blame the cops for this.

This is entirely on the shoulders of the person driving the vehicle.

P.S.

Does it matter if the make of the car was reported or not? What bearing does that have on anything? none, merely a sly attempt to slander the OWsers yet again.

Hmmm, good point, but. The driver clearly had the green light, and the protesters could've been curtious and let the driver through and nobody would have been harmed, right? But no, it's OWS and you'll bow to our little march and wait till we let you through. The OWS'ers don't need us to slander them, they are doing fine all by themselves.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evanzsayz
reply to post by kellerphoenix

"They" should obey? From your post I take it your talking about the protestors... Here's a fact for you, pedestrians have the right away no matter what.

In Florida now they don't for the record. I don't know what the law is in Cali. I've seen tourists jump out in front of cars unexpectedly crossing the street from their hotels to the theme parks, and you have to really be on the lookout.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I noticed a number of posters here focus on the apparent gunning of his motor into the protesters out of frustration, but it seems you have overlooked the other side. Knowing this group's hatred of rich people, I'm not all that surprised.

some saying the driver appeared to have gunned the Mercedes into the victims in frustration and others saying he had been provoked by activists pounding on his car. Read more: www.sfgate.com.../c/a/2011/11/02/BA5G1LQ06S.DTL#ixzz1chr8oyXc

www.sfgate.com.../c/a/2011/11/02/BA5G1LQ06S.DTL

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
This is the typical bandwagon response. I find it hard to believe that someone who has a Mercedes intentionally hits someone while driving. The Mercedes driver did not obtain a Mercedes through poor judgment. It is unfortunate someone got hit but the driver is not some rogue upperclass 1% who is out to kill these derelicts. Stupid.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN

Originally posted by thegoods724
The traffic laws are - - - pedestrians have right of way, even if they are jaywalking.

Okay. I have to see the US law on this...

My friend got hit about 5 years ago when jay walking, only a broken leg and rib, and he didn't get any settlement money; therefore, making him in the wrong.

I'm in Canada btw.

In most of the States, the peds have right of way. No matter what. It's not like Canada, where people are expected to exercise common sense.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
The driver had a green light and the protesters were in his way pounding on his car.... No wonder he got frustrated

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Hope he gets murder charges, sent to prison for 30 years, raped hundreds of times and see if he learns anything from the experience.
edit on 2-11-2011 by thegoods724 because: (no reason given)

Me too. Judges shouldn't be allowed to punish people. Only prison inmates should decide what the best punishment is for people. That would result in a pristine justice system. In all seriousness though I'm pretty sure most people are just as assinine as you are about justice which is why the justice system is so messed up.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aeroe
The driver had a green light and the protesters were in his way pounding on his car.... No wonder he got frustrated

If you stand in front of a moving car and pound on it, I think that is attempted suicide. Its a way of saying... "hey you, I dare you to run me over!". Should it be a crime to assist someone in committing suicide? No. It sounds like no punishment is necessary at all or even compensation of the suicide attempters if that is what happens.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   

The traffic laws are - - - pedestrians have right of way, even if they are jaywalking.

My friend got hit about 5 years ago when jay walking, only a broken leg and rib, and he didn't get any settlement money; therefore, making him in the wrong.

I'm in Canada btw.

A guy I know got hit by a car and flung 100 feet with multiple broken ribs and other bones. The guy who got hit by a car got sued for 2,000 dollars and lost. That shows you how justice works in the US.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I've been reading through this thread and I'm still confused how ANYONE here thinks it's okay to run someone over with a car? Are they pointing a gun at you or is your life THAT f**king important that other people should die for you if it means getting somewhere on time?
edit on 4-11-2011 by Dystopiaphiliac because: grammar

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by seamus

I'm in Canada btw.

In most of the States, the peds have right of way. No matter what. It's not like Canada, where people are expected to exercise common sense.

Incorrect, Indiana has state law pedestrian do NOT in fact have right of way in most situations... there are only a couple exceptions... but 99% of the time you as a pedestrian do not have right of way to walk into traffic/nor impede traffic at any time.

I'll post the code if nobody wants to use google. And thats the way it should be.

I'll post the code anyways:
IC 9-21-17-7
Crossing roadway at point not marked as a crosswalk; yield of right-of-way to traffic
Sec. 7. A pedestrian crossing a roadway at a point other than within a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway.
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.9.
edit on 4-11-2011 by bigshow because: Added state law

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by seachange

Originally posted by Aeroe

If you stand in front of a moving car and pound on it, I think that is attempted suicide. Its a way of saying... "hey you, I dare you to run me over!". Should it be a crime to assist someone in committing suicide? No. It sounds like no punishment is necessary at all or even compensation of the suicide attempters if that is what happens.

I'll go by your logic and every time somebody frustrates me I'll get violent with them. Isn't that how humanity has worked for the last 50,000 years?

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chance321

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Do you really think that traffic should of been diverted??? Should the police cook the protestors dinner too and do their laundry???

dinner? Laundry? No. but protecting the citizens of the united states is their job, regardless if those people are protesting or going to work, it's their job. that said, they can't be everywhere at once and I don't think you can honestly blame the cops for this.

This is entirely on the shoulders of the person driving the vehicle.

P.S.

Does it matter if the make of the car was reported or not? What bearing does that have on anything? none, merely a sly attempt to slander the OWsers yet again.

Hmmm, good point, but. The driver clearly had the green light, and the protesters could've been curtious and let the driver through and nobody would have been harmed, right? But no, it's OWS and you'll bow to our little march and wait till we let you through. The OWS'ers don't need us to slander them, they are doing fine all by themselves.

Yes the light was green, that means RUN PEOPLE OVER!

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

Just because a pedestrian is hit does not make it the drivers fault. Maybe get some evidence first you disgusting scumbags.

Do you read? 2 posts above yours, I posted this "evidence". The driver will soon be arrested for assault with a deadly weapon, his car.

It doesn't matter how much a person bangs on the hood of your car, the only legal way to rectify that would be to call the police and press charges on them for damages your property, probably a civil suit matter most likely if insurance doesn't cover it.

The driver may be charged with attempted murder actually, the speed they gunned it at would probably warrant those charges.

Well, I'm guessing you aren't a judge any more than I am. The people at the front of his car were acting like total tools, they could see the car coming, decided not to move, he braked, they started acting in an intimidating manner, he drove (not that quick) to extract him/herself from a dangerous volatile situation. That's not attempted murder no matter how much you want to pretend it is.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join