It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sexuality is not a choice, you don't choose your attractions

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Make a choice and pick it dammit.

Be who you are and that is ok with most of us

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
This again? You are wasting your time. Those of us who believe it is a choice will not be swayed by your constant browbeating. Those who believe it is genetic, will not be swayed by arguments to the contrary. Why bother?

I would love to know how you chose to be attracted to?

I want to know the entire process.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
It is good to hear from Southern Guardian again.
Having said that, sexuality is a choice, so I disagree. You DO choose your attractions, no one else does.
Why "you" do so may be related to a number of factors that you allow to control you, but it doesn't mean "you" are not making those decisions that affect "your" life.
For example, if I allow the circumstances in my life to dictate HOW I respond to those circumstances, then I am simply making MY choices based upon an outside influence...that is, those early life experiences.
That is YOUR choice, whether you attempt to understand those influences, or whether you find them irrelevant because it means some serious soul searching.
Whom you have sex with is a choice. Whom you find desirable is certainly NOT a choice, but ALL attraction starts in the brain. If you feel you are ONLY attracted to the same sex, you are reacting to these external influences that can be traced to childhood, and simply the fact that "you" don't accept the fact that your childhood is influencing your sexuality.
S.G., it DOESN'T MATTER anyway whether you prefer the same sex, but at least understand that it is YOUR choice. Don't try to pin it on DNA.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirClem
It is good to hear from Southern Guardian again.
Having said that, sexuality is a choice, so I disagree. You DO choose your attractions, no one else does.

Are you a man???

Can you choose to get an erection over the thought of another man?

Make the choice and then tell us about it.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by mastahunta

Sure.
Sexuality is all in the mind.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by kingofmd
Want to see what happens when heterosexual males choose to be attracted to other men, and have reduced sex to simply a feeling: go watch a prison documentary, it happens all the time.

I am wondering if I might have that list of documentaries because I am quite familiar with that particular topic and I want to know where you get the notion that straight men in prison who have sex with other men in prison do it out of ATTRACTION.
Not saying they do or do not, just that I do not believe there is any such documentary claiming it either.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
And, if it is an excuse to say, "we don't choose our attractions." Then pedophilia is just as natural as homosexuality or heterosexuality or bestiality. If they are all natural attractions, then the only problems we have are restrictive laws criminalizing some things and not others?

Serial killers are usually born and not made. This has been proven again and again by repeated patterns of behavior in youth by people that turn out to be. This would obviously mean that serial killers are as natural as anything else. Yet, I have a hard time finding an argument that just because someone is born a certain way, they should be able to be that way in a society. If you are born a psychopath, it does not mean we should let you murder. If you are naturally attracted to children, it does not mean you should be allowed to act on that attraction.

That said, you also seem to miss the fact that pedophilia is the attraction to PRE-PUBESCENT children. In this day and age where puberty can start at 9 years old, what you seem to be missing is the difference between naturally being attracted to another person of relatively the same age or at least one of maturity and taking advantage of a child. I do not see too many 8 year olds begging for the right to be with their 40 year old lover. Do you?

Trying to equate homosexuality with pedophilia is old, tired, and fallacious at best. I certainly look forward to the post comparing it to bestiality.

I would like to stay on topic where the OP was clearly talking about sexuality of a person and not the predilection to prey on what you are attracted to and that is a huge difference.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Sure.
Sexuality is all in the mind.

I sure can't...

I'm gonna think about Brad Pitt cutting down a tree shirtless................................

Nothing

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by habfan1968
By a religious and scientific stand point being attracted to the same sex does not make sense is not enough for you? Scientifically, survival is the key to life. Gays can not do that. Religiously, procreation is the key, Gays can not do that. Lets all be gay and end the race?

Goody, yet another tired, old, fallacious argument.
Fact: Gay people exist.
Fact: The population of the planet continues to grow.
Fact: Survival of a species often relies on culling the herd and population control.

There are animals in NATURE that change sex. Any ideas why? Nature understands that every creature on the planet constantly producing viable offspring would actually end the species pretty quickly.

When the human population starts to decline you might have an argument. Like maybe if there are 200 people left on the planet, then it might not be beneficial to have a lot of gays in the population. Luckily that is not the case.

Now, show of hands please.
How many people think there are not enough humans on the planet yet?

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   

No real NEED to go there.
It IS your choice.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by SirClem

If you like both that doesn't mean its a choice to like both. It means you're Bisexual.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by FallenWun

ALL sexuality starts in the brain, so OF COURSE people will compare homosexuality to pedophilia, bestiality, promiscuity, obsessive masturbation.
Because, it is undeniably related because it is all under the umbrella of sexuality which is all controlled by the brain.
Be what you are, but at least try to understand why you make the choices you make.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by habfan1968
Better yet, explain how being able to breed or would affect the sexual orientation.

The ability to create off spring is the only purpose we are here, there is scientific evidence to prove this.

This is getting sad. Maybe slower and bigger will help.

PLEASE EXPLAIN HOW BEING ABLE TO BREED WOULD AFFECT SEXUAL ATTRACTION.
Seems like such a simple question but the people responding to it are not making any sense.

Example: Florence had uterine cancer that left her unable to carry a child. How does that affect who she is attracted to?

Easier?

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

No real NEED to go there.
It IS your choice.

No, there is no choice involved, Brad Pitt does not do it for me... You could slather him in BBQ sauce
or put him in a dress, it's not gonna excite me.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by GringoViejo

Bisexual means you are a player.
Which I don't really have a problem with. If you want to play, play. You have an open mind, creative brain, but you are a player as long as you are "bisexual".
When you settle with someone and dedicate your life to them, you are simply human. If it is a man and you are a man, (woman/woman) then you are a "homosexual", if it is boy/girl then you are hetero aka normal, but you cannot be "bisexual" unless you are a player.
Like a dog.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   

That is the point, mate.
It is YOUR choice.
For the record, I have always preferred intellectual and artistic females. And, they always seem to hang with homosexual males.
Why? I have no idea.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Fine.

Then by your rationale all attractions are perfectly natural. Why do we demonize certain types of sex? Why is homosexuality (or heterosexuality) any different than pedophilia?

Pedophilia deals explicitly with the attraction to children that have not even reached puberty let alone the faculties to decide and fight for whom they want to sleep with. I am curious if you have ever met a child in your life that is pre-pubescent. I am even more curious how many of them told you that they just really wish they could be in a sexual relationship with the adult they are attracted to.

But if you want to keep pretending that same sex attraction is equal to an attraction that is wholly one sided and predatory in nature so be it. Someday reality is going to hit hard.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Biologically, we are attracted to viable breeding mates.

That sounds pretty damn completely made up right there. I have never in my life been attracted to a man because I knew his sperm count. How many women did you become attracted to because you found out they had viable eggs?

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   

That is the point, mate.
It is YOUR choice.
For the record, I have always preferred intellectual and artistic females. And, they always seem to hang with homosexual males.
Why? I have no idea.

The point is (sorry to be straight forward here), my genitalia does not think, it is not connected to my
brain in capacity of choice. I can open a door, drink water, but CANNOT choose to be turned on by a man,
I can't. So it is not a choice, it is a state of being, I am straight, I love women, I worship their form and
my body responds without any thought.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by FallenWun

Biologically, we are attracted to viable breeding mates.

That sounds pretty damn completely made up right there. I have never in my life been attracted to a man because I knew his sperm count. How many women did you become attracted to because you found out they had viable eggs?

I agree... I have been attracted to girls on birth control, knowing full well of the fact too...

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join