It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Step Towards Total Control, Missouri College Announces Drug Testing For ENTIRE STUDENT BODY

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by 547000

Wait until you are not allowed an education because you are deemed to be too fat!

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I never made the dean's list in college, I made the Dean Martin list -- with my B.A.C. levels the same as my grade point average ~
~

But seriously, I do find it very disturbing that south of the border - in the USA they drug test you even to operate a lemonade stand ffs.....
I think in Canada you need to occupy a high spot on the nations ten most wanted in order for mandatory testing of this sort and that's after they catch you.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

are necessary to ensure student safety at a campus where the coursework includes aircraft maintenance, heavy engine repair, nuclear technology and other dangerous tasks. They surveyed hundreds of local employers, who overwhelmingly supported a requirement those same students will soon encounter in the job market

I was set to jump on board and condemn this action, and talk about how not that many employers actually drug test, and how many of the degrees will be adversely impacted. But, after reading the quoted portion, it makes more sense to drug test. If this is a small school that specializes in this type of heavy industrial careers, then drug testing makes perfect sense.

This could never work on a larger scale, you would wipe out the entire Art, Music, and Business Majors!!

And for the record, I don't see how this can be considered illegal as some are claiming? It is already written into the Student Honor Codes that you will not break any laws, and expulsion is already listed as a penalty, so this follows the code that students agree to when enrolling. Plus, these days, even high schools are drug testing periodically.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I'm really thankful for this. The kids who would band together with some friends once or twice a week and venture to the outskirts of campus, oh we didn't like them at all. They all looked like they were having a blast, they all seemed as if they were privy to something we didn't know, and it was almost as if they weren't harming anybody else, or even themselves. Smug b**tards. They always appear well rested the next day, it drives me nuts. I'd jump at the chance to spend $50 for nothing, and those who should test positive, it'll only confirm what we already know... they wouldn't graduate from uni anyways. No one has EVER gotten more than 30 credits at college who touched an illegal drug or misused a prescription drug. Thus, anyone who ever had a positive effect on the world (You need a degree to do that.) has ever, ever tried an illicit substance. Ritalin doesn't count, it's a study aid. I didn't like those dreadful potheads looking so joyful and at ease while I'm shredding my brains out, studying... cramming last minute for this exam. I saw them at "late-nite meal hall" just destroying their pogos and their ice cream. The horror. I was way too effing drunk the few nights before, to study ...but that's only 'cause of the cheap drink week (that's every week ;D) at the campus pub... since we're away from our parents, I'm glad someone is policing the recreation of all drug use. BTW if you believe alcohol is a drug, then go join Al Qaeda. Couple of my friends died from asphyxiation in their sleep and "alcohol poisoning" but that's nothing compared to how many people died from marijuana use, and that doesn't even includes the death count from hemp usage. Seriously though, it's becoming a problem. Flocks of kids are applying for universities these days simply and only because they wanna live in "Smack Rez" where the floor crawls are quite literal and opiate attributed.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I have worked in the aviation industry including two airlines and drug tests are mandatory. Some of the training at this college is done on real aircraft and I'm sure that some of the other courses of study are hands on. Think about this, if they can't handle one of the requirements of the profession that they are choosing, while they are in school, will they be able to handle those requirements on the job?

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by BernardShakey

Unless I missed something.....

Could you post some stats on how many people have died using marijuana?

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

You definitely missed something.

It was sarcasm / opposite world / parody.

Nobody dies from marijuana, but tons of people die from alcohol, yet they aren't doing alcohol testing?

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
*** reminder ***

Discussion of illegal substances is not permitted at ATS.

Discussion of the legalization of illegal substances is not permitted at ATS.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
So you pay the College a ton of money to teach you a skill, instead of letting you decide if using drugs will impair your ability to study, they will just expell anyone who fails keeping their tuition and ruining their life, rather then letting the actual drug ABUSERs weed themselves out with failing grades. I strongly suggest anyone condoning this practice of drug testing for all but critical to life and safety professions watch Gattaca to see what our world will be like by 2020 if nothing changes. If my grocery bagger smokes pot I honestly don't care as long as they are not so stoned as to put the milk on my bread.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by no special characters
Most great inventions/ideas derive from drug use of some sort.

This school won't be doing groundbreaking research in the near future is my guess... their loss.

And Great music as well

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Taking drugs is illegal. Why would any employer want to employ some junkie so smokes pot, snorts coke, pops pills or any of the insane, self harming drugs out there.

Everyone I know who smoked pot thought they were really cool at college and uni, now society can show them how much of a bunch of losers they really are. If people want to destroy there body and mind for fun, I'm not against that. They are free to do what they please but as a society where the law is the law, drugs are illegal to protect people. Who knows what blunders these junkies do at work right now, they are probably responsible for tons of deaths worldwide and we don't even know it. They are mostly losers who barely contribute anything to society anyway, you are basically killing yourself when you take drugs in some way or another. I don't like self harmer's, I don't like junkies, I don't like people who waste there lives either and neither does the majority of society.

Like an above poster mentioned, weed them out early while they still have family support so they can get help for there addictions.

People should be free to do what ever they want but in a society where most people don't take illegal, mind altering drugs then those that do must learn to conform to the wants and needs of society. If you don't want too then society is free to outcast you because you are dangerous to yourself and others, you don't work, get an education. Simple.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Thank you for saving me from having to deliberate!

I think I mostly share your opinion about these regulations, when concerning such a specialized, hands-on techish university (obviously I don't know the right term for such a institution). My little scenario was basically concerning the translation of those new regulations into the more prevalent state or provincial, liberal arts or whatever kind of universities.

Let's extrapolate for fun: In 2 years I'll be paying a newly founded, federal task force (Homestead Security) to enter my house to make sure I'm not harboring illicits of all sorts. If you don't let them in, it's just like refusing the breathalyzer. While one of the agents interrogate you in the attic about the firecrackers they found with your Halloween gear, another agent is outside siphoning the money out of your oil and gas tanks and confiscating your topped up jerry cans due to BPA concens.

edit on 8-9-2011 by BernardShakey because: Type-O.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

are necessary to ensure student safety at a campus where the coursework includes aircraft maintenance, heavy engine repair, nuclear technology and other dangerous tasks. They surveyed hundreds of local employers, who overwhelmingly supported a requirement those same students will soon encounter in the job market

I was set to jump on board and condemn this action, and talk about how not that many employers actually drug test, and how many of the degrees will be adversely impacted. But, after reading the quoted portion, it makes more sense to drug test. If this is a small school that specializes in this type of heavy industrial careers, then drug testing makes perfect sense.

This could never work on a larger scale, you would wipe out the entire Art, Music, and Business Majors!!

And for the record, I don't see how this can be considered illegal as some are claiming? It is already written into the Student Honor Codes that you will not break any laws, and expulsion is already listed as a penalty, so this follows the code that students agree to when enrolling. Plus, these days, even high schools are drug testing periodically.
But the students the article quotes as the reason for the policy are a small portion of the overall students.

Using the safety of the few to oppress the many, who else uses those tactics, hmm?

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater

The tests cost $50, a fee paid by students.

Ahh, now it makes sense.

Just like that d-bag in Florida.

Follow the money.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

About Linn State

1200 students, at a 2 year technical college. They were warned about the testing in the Spring, and again in the Fall, and apparently the enrollees were unconcerned.

I still think this could be a big deal at a larger school, and as always they nibble away at our rights little bit by little bit, so I'm glad there is a concern to keep this in check, but at this point, I still don't think it is a problem........yet.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by BernardShakey

Ritalin doesn't count, it's a study aid.

So it's ok to be a speed freak huh? I'm sure a doctor prescribed this "study aid" to you right? Unless they ask the students permission to give them the test it is a violation to their right to privacy and should be sued for it. Getting them ready for a drug free workplace sounds like the people running the college is on the dope themselves. Because there is no such thing as a drug free work place.
edit on 8-9-2011 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-9-2011 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by mileslong54

Originally posted by no special characters
Most great inventions/ideas derive from drug use of some sort.

This school won't be doing groundbreaking research in the near future is my guess... their loss.

And Great music as well

Kiss the Art Program goodbye as well

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Never been prescribed Ritalin, never tried it. No speed freak here, but I think you might've read my post freakishly speedy. I'm with ya dude, but maybe reread my post and turn your facetious radar on. Then read the second post down made after the post of mine you quoted, and then the one after that. Hopefully you aren't okay with everything else I wrote there besides the Ritalin quip, but whatevs.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I think this is another effort to take away people's freedom of choice and is very invasive. It is a step towards absolute control of and over everyday life so that even what should be your own free time is closely monitored and scrutinized. So many people seem to be all for this, but what happens when the tea you drink or the herbal supplements you take or an ingredient in your favorite meal is added to the list of illegal substances because a few people have an agenda. And you can't say "Oh that won't happen" because a large # of the items on the US's list of illegal substances were legal and considered useful at some point in the past.
I believe the bottom line here is that a few people in a power position want to exert control over everything and everyone they can and ruin your life if you don't play by their rules.
The only people that actually benefit from this policy are the people selling the drug tests. I'm sure there would be fines and non-refundable tuition to those caught in the wheels of this money machine. Sickening.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Soon you will have to get a drug test to get into wal mart.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join