It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planes with banners that read "God-LESS America" or "Atheism is Patriotic"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
So I was wondering what people think about this idea?

There was never any doubt in my mind that an atheist could be patriotic.
Is this really necessary?

"This America belongs to everyone."

Blair, the communications director for the New Jersey-based American Atheists, said atheists in the United States often feel alienated and face accusations of being anti-American because of their lack of belief in God.

To combat those notions, his group is using Independence Day to say atheists love their country, too.

But the way they're spreading their message might have Americans looking to the sky this Fourth of July and finding something besides fireworks to stir emotion.

Planes with banners that read "God-LESS America" or "Atheism is Patriotic" will be flying over 27 states on Monday. While people might be leery to see the messages overhead, the $23,000 campaign has had a struggle with those who are supposed to bring it to life.

Justin Jaye of Fly Signs Aerial Advertising, who is orchestrating the flights for American Atheists, said out of the 85 people in the country who fly these sign-pulling planes only about 17 have agreed to fly the messages.

How does a banner with, "God-LESS America" prove patriotism?

religion.blogs.cnn.com...

I think I posted this in the wrong forum, sorry
edit on 023131p://bFriday2011 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

This news does not surprise me. In my humble opinion I think this just shows another one of America's flaws and I for one do not welcome anything of the sort. It saddens me really. Thank you though for the information.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
It only proves stupidity and selfishness.
I guess they haven't figured out the shock factor and disrespect don't work, what a bunch of losers.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Is this the same guy that put up a big stink about the "7 in Heaven Way" street sign in New York?

Seems kinda overboard if you ask me. It's NOT ok to use Heaven in any way shape or form on a street sign..........but, airplane banners flying in 20 something states is OK?

Plus, the wordings he's chosen do not help his cause in any way, shape, or form.

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

In my humble opinion I think this just shows another one of America's flaws and I for one do not welcome anything of the sort.

Actually, allowing all groups and ideologies, asinine or not, to express themselves is not a flaw, but rather a strength...and you don't need to 'welcome' it, as you have no influence on the outcome - thankfully.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by CastleMadeOfSand

Is this the same guy that put up a big stink about the "7 in Heaven Way" street sign in New York?

I don't know is he?

What ever became of that sign?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I agree with facelift. It's all about free speech. No matter how much I disagree with what's being said, I will defend your right to say it.
edit on 1-7-2011 by Schkeptick because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

I checked again, it's not the same guy. The group is based out of New Jersey, so they are probably another chapter of the same group. Ken Bronstein was the guy I was thinking of.

I def. agree that atheists should be able to express their rights just like anyone else can..........but is this the best way??? I personally don't feel like this is the best way. And to be fair, Christians very often go overboard too......sometimes we ALL do.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I agree that atheists have the right to express their beliefs... or lack of... beliefs. Or whatever it is they're doing.
Though I think it's funny when I see an atheist, who hates it when the religious try to shove their beliefs down others' throats, shoving their lack of belief down everyone's throat.

Funny stuff, that.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ

This news does not surprise me. In my humble opinion I think this just shows another one of America's flaws and I for one do not welcome anything of the sort. It saddens me really. Thank you though for the information.
Yes our freedoms and constitutional rights of ALL citizens seems like a HUGE flaw to me too.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
It only proves stupidity and selfishness.
I guess they haven't figured out the shock factor and disrespect don't work, what a bunch of losers.

How does it "prove" selfishness or stupidity? I expect you to post up this proof.

Who in 2011 would be shocked that athiests exist and "gasp" expect to be able to exercise same rights as any other citizens, including the right to pay out of pocket to preach their message to the masses?
edit on Fri, 01 Jul 2011 15:12:23 -0500 by hotbakedtater because: clarification

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
It IS tacky but I don't see a problem with it. But seriously... you don't doubt the patriotism of atheists because you're a reasonable guy. Yet one of the things fundamentalists cite to troll atheists is "This is an Christian nation because we're 'one nation under god"" and whatnot. Christian evangelists are ALWAYS pulling that bull# out of thin air while being completely ignorant of the fact that any form of dissent for the cause of positive social reform is actually what makes someone a Patriot.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Well, why is it every organization with a cause needs to screw up someones holiday to prove their point, I'd call that pretty damn disrespectful and stupid? If they want to present their cause fine, but it's always in a way to shock people or screw up their day. They want to do exactly what they accuse people of other belief systems of doing............if that's rational to you, well, it explains alot. Hope this answers your question. And remind me again, what rights don't they have.......just curious.
edit on 1-7-2011 by adifferentbreed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Well, why is it every organization with a cause needs to screw up someones holiday to prove their point, I'd call that pretty damn disrespectful and stupid?

A plane with a banner screws up someone's holiday? Ridiculous.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
There was never any doubt in my mind that an atheist could be patriotic.
Is this really necessary?

Well, it's certainly not necessary, but putting a message to the public isn't only done because it's necessary. A lot of things we do aren't necessary. I don't see any harm in it, so whether or not it's necessary is not relevant to me.

And your excerpt has a very good reason for why they're doing it:

... atheists in the United States often feel alienated and face accusations of being anti-American because of their lack of belief in God.

To get a message out.

How does a banner with, "God-LESS America" prove patriotism?

It doesn't. It's just saying that I don't believe in God, but I am an American. It doesn't have to prove anything either.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by OMsk3ptic

In your world maybe.
It's all subjective of course, but I find it disrespectful, insincere, inflammatory, stupid, and hypocritical on many levels. Of course only those that side with them are allowed an opinion so mines automatically mute.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Well, why is it every organization with a cause needs to screw up someones holiday to prove their point, I'd call that pretty damn disrespectful and stupid?

Are you referring to the bell ringers from the Salvation Army, who aurally assault people with their ringing sounds during the Holidays? How does another's choice of celebration ruin anything for other people, who maintain the right to celebrate in other ways?

If they want to present their cause fine, but it's always in a way to shock people or screw up their day.
Of course it is fine, and it does not ruin anything. If it ruins your day then that is your personal problem for not being able to tolerate difference.

They want to do exactly what they accuse people of other belief systems of doing............if that's rational to you, well, it explains alot. Hope this answers your question. And remind me again, what rights don't they have.......just curious.
edit on 1-7-2011 by adifferentbreed because: (no reason given)
I am sorry, I should have said they want to EXERCISE the same rights they have that everyone else says.

edit on Fri, 01 Jul 2011 15:25:23 -0500 by hotbakedtater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   

reply to post by OMsk3ptic

In your world maybe.
It's all subjective of course, but I find it disrespectful, insincere, inflammatory, stupid, and hypocritical on many levels. Of course only those that side with them are allowed an opinion so mines automatically mute.
Your opinion is as loud as mine. And you are as entitled to it as anyone else. Being able to defend your opinion is part of participation in a debate board. I still am unclear where the disrespect comes in, or any of the other negatives you assign to this story. Or how it is inflammatory in any way. Would it be because atheism is something with which you vehemently disagree?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Remind me again...............exactly what does being an Ahteist have to do with patriotism, or the fourth of July? Bells are a part of Christmas, so at least they belong in some peoples beliefs.As far as not being tolerant....you're right, and less so everyday, funny thing about that, it's a two way street.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by CastleMadeOfSand
I def. agree that atheists should be able to express their rights just like anyone else can..........but is this the best way???

It's the way they chose.

And to be fair, Christians very often go overboard too......sometimes we ALL do.

This is so true. We all do.

Look. You are perfectly free to have and express your opinion. NO ONE has tried to stop that, yet you're complaining that you're not "allowed" to have an opinion... What? You have given your opinion. VERY clearly. And you have a right to it. What are you complaining about?
edit on 7/1/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join