It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

20 Orlando Police Steal food from Children, Arrest 6 MORE for feeding the Hungry

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by MIDNIGHTSUN

I have to disagree with you, Do what is right from your heart

You have every right to disagree. However can I at least ask you where my error is? I mean what am I missing
here ? Surely there must be a reason you disagree. If not then you just disagree and that's all good too.

And before you hurl any more signs at me look here. Just so you know a little about who you're talk'in too. In fairness.
edit on 18-6-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Someone should Sue based on the freedom of religion.

All major religions have a tenet to feed and help the poor and downtrodden.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by MIDNIGHTSUN
I have to disagree with you, Do what is right from your heart.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/76ee5a7458cd.jpg[/atsimg]

Nothing wrong with questioning authority. Do it for the right reasons though. Not just because you want to seem like your parents......... that actually DID challenge authority. Seems like some just want to fight the system and don't care whether the cause is just or not.

If it is something from the heart it seems just to me. Feeding hungry people is just. And what about the authority arresting a peaceful organization feeding the hungry when there is better things for the authority to do, is that justified in doing the right thing.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
This makes me absolutely SICK.
. But the sad part is that the mindless drones probably have a clear conscious the entire time, because their appeal to authority clears any guilt. This is what happens in a police state; despite the authorities being people, they forget all about what it means to be human, and follow orders no matter how insane/ruthless. If they made a law that it was ok to shoot to kill anyone, lets' say sitting on the curb and not the bench, I'm sure they would have no problem murdering people in cold-blood. This is how the nazis/gestapo acted when enacting genocide on the Jews, and the Japanese when they murdered, raped, and tortured all the citizens in the Nanking massacre. When the government/higher authority tells them they have to enforce ANY law, they will carry it out without fail.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by MIDNIGHTSUN
If it is something from the heart it seems just to me. Feeding hungry people is just. And what about the authority arresting a peaceful organization feeding the hungry when there is better things for the authority to do, is that justified in doing the right thing.

I have nothing against feeding the hungry. That's why I support our local food bank. What I'm saying is why is there so little info from your source as to why the cops had to be called in?

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

I have nothing against feeding the hungry. That's why I support our local food bank. What I'm saying is why is there so little info from your source as to why the cops had to be called in?

like what randyvs post, city ordinance, which is why I said question authority. I completely agree with you too, but some people just don't know about the food bank, and besides, it poses no threat.
edit on 18-6-2011 by MIDNIGHTSUN because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

question authority

I'm all over questioning authority. Interagate it, that's fine with me too.
Do we have to dilberately challenge and break the law to do it ? I think something else might be going on here.
Or at least very easily could be.

Everybody brow beating the cops, for a high crime rate and at the same time, they call for them to look the other way when some one is clearly challenging there authority?

The watch commander had to, absolutely had to, order the arrest. No way around it. It's not as clear cut as you might think.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

I'm all over questioning authority. Interagate it, that's fine with me too.
Do we have to dilberately challenge and break the law to do it ? I think something else might be going on here.
Or at least very easily could be.

Sure, I can agree with you about something else going on, it's called FOOD NOT BOMBS. They are doing a campaign against using bombs and promoting food for people. It is for a good cause. To many people go hungry around the world, yet, bombing a country won't help people. That is why I said do what is right from your heart.
edit on 18-6-2011 by MIDNIGHTSUN because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

All those cops have a watch commander. They report the situation to him back at headquarters if he isn't in the field and even there. The officers got the order. Moved in to a situation where they were being verbaly taunted.
Tell you the truth, I'm surprised they didn't jackboot the whole thing. Seems like they had some specified orders.
At any rate, they did there job. Quickly professionaly without incident.

Look at it this way? Food Bomb could have set up some where legal and a lot more people would have gotten food in their stomachs.

Snf Good thread. With a fair amount of text even.

:

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by GaddaffiDuck
The problem is, what happens when more and more people turn up to get their free food, before you know it, the situation spirals out of control and you have major public disorder. Thats why it is naive to think that they should be allowed to carry out this sort of thing. It encourages tramps and vagrancy and unlawfulness. Not only that, but it also dissolves the state of their responsibility for feeding the people. This is why they SHOULD be arrested.

Having availed Myself of many a free meal, having been homeless, I know You are talking out Your nether region here.

It does NOT "encourage... tramps and vagrancy and unlawfulness." The inability to get a job does THAT for us. Now We should not be turning Our backs on these victims of the economy. Just imagine the food stolen because these hungry were not fed. FAILING to feed Them encourages unlawfulness.

How inHuman to disallow compassion.
edit on 6/18/2011 by Amaterasu because: add

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
So... I watched a bit of the video, once they started heckling, I became uninterested. I then read an article that was later posted by Wrabbit2000 (on the first page).

Ok. So a new law was passed that says a group can only feed for free, twice a year, in certain areas, and after paying a fee. (If I gathered everything correctly.)

Part of me understands the reasoning for this... except the 'only twice every 12 months' thing. I believe the reason for that may be to push the organization into securing a building (with running water and such) in a downtown location were they could then offer items regularly and safely.

There could be a number of reasons that "Food Not Bombs" is choosing not to get a building. An idea for them:

They could make a bunch of 'cover' organizations with different members as the head. Sign up under a different one each time. Granted, this would mean they would have to pay each time, and twice a year gets taken up pretty quickly.

It's pretty sh*teee that the law was made, but there are ways around it. Like serving at your house. Or splitting up into groups and hitting places you know that homeless hang out and drop off bag lunches.

Here is your box... please step out of it.

Also- the way they react when the police come to make arrests isn't helping anyone. They are just making a scene.

When a two-year-old starts yelling and screaming at the store, do you have any desire to communicate with them in any sort of intelligent way? Or do you just want them to stop screaming?

When people act like that- the point gets lost.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I'm seeing quite a few people saying that they could simply do this elsewhere. The Orlando leadership is saying the same thing. I want to point out how absurd this is. The law they passed covers the entire downtown "park district" apparently, and that is a lot of public real estate. The main issue here is that people like the Food Not Bombs group don't stick a map on the wall and throw a dart to determine where they want to set up. They aren't setting up in a given location just to annoy the Police or Mayor's office. These folks are setting up because the homeless are ALREADY in that area and concentrated there to begin with.

The whole argument that they attract and concentrate homeless people and that starts trouble is assuming what I said above is wrong, and they are actually putting all this effort into a food line that the needy folks would have to travel to. Not exactly the way to be a success in their goal of helping, is it? See how silly the argument gets?

I'm not calling anyone here silly, as much as I am trying not to laugh out loud at how Orlando is using this as their line of justification. At least they aren't rolling out the "Health Department" excuse, like has been used in so many other cities for things exactly like this.

I admit in my first message on page 1 even I had first mentioned relocating...but learning more about the details of this whole thing helped me realize that is simply not an option in this case. At least not the distance Orlando would like to see them move. Of course Orlando city government would probably prefer to see them move somewhere into the middle of the Everglades if they could do it.

There is one other aspect to this story that is important. Orlando has gotten the attention of Anonymous and The People's Liberation Front, who have both apparently become deeply involved in making the city suffer in the ways only they can..until this is resolved. I'm not sure that is helping matters, actually, but it's a factor that exists. It may actually just push Orlando into a corner so hard, they don't feel they CAN compromise anymore.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Well I know where I WILL NOT go and spend any tourist money now.

If we all make up our minds, and vocally proclaim this, there will be change.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Police do not make laws.

There job is to enforce the laws - - - other people make.

Who made the law not to feed the homeless?

If you are going to go after someone - - - at least go after the those responsible. It is not the cops.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

No, but they have the option to not enforce laws.

The "just doing their job" excuse is flimsy at best.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
reply to post by Annee

No, but they have the option to not enforce laws.

The "just doing their job" excuse is flimsy at best.

And lose their job - - so they can be out on the street trying to feed their kids?

Do you work? Do you agree with everything you have to do? Do you ever think who may be affected by what you are required to do?

Probably not.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

And lose their job - - so they can be out on the street trying to feed their kids?

Doing what is right is more important than anything in the world.

Do you work?

Yes

Do you agree with everything you have to do?

Actually, I do with what I agree with. And the things I don't agree with, I don't do.

I am respected more because I stand up in what I believe in.

Do you ever think who may be affected by what you are required to do?

The Golden rule works wonders.

edit on 6/18/2011 by Lemon.Fresh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   

The Golden rule works wonders.

Uh huh. I think you are very naive.

Everything everyone does affects others. Those that can hide behind a desk or a title or whatever - - - never have to face the people that are affected by what they do.

Police did not make these laws - - - and I'm sure many of them do not want to enforce them. But that is their job.

I'm sure these same police probably do other wonderful things around the community also.

They do no make the laws. Go after the ones who do.
edit on 18-6-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Uh huh. I think you are very naive.

No, I live my life by it.

I think you are very jaded.

Everything everyone does affects others. Those that can hide behind a desk or a title or whatever - - - never have to face the people that are affected by what they do.

I agree. WHich is why I follow the golden rule. Always have, always will. I have quit jobs because I did not agree with how others were treated. Being a police officer was one of those jobs.

Police did not make these laws - - - and I'm sure many of them do not want to enforce them. But that is their job.

I'm sure these same police probably do other wonderful things around the community also.

They do no make the laws. Go after the ones who do.

Being an SS officer was just a job too.

By all means, go after the ones who make the laws. But enforcing said laws make one just as implicit.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

No, I live my life by it.

I think you are very jaded.

Oh - personally I live my own life by it.

I was idealistic when I was younger. Now I think idealistic - - but live in the real world.

It is not realistic to expect a cop not to do the job he is hired to do. Which is enforce a law other people made.

With your thinking - - you want a cop to jeopardize his career and take on the responsibility for other peoples decisions and unfortunate events that put them in a position of being homeless/jobless.

The cop is not the reason these people are homeless/jobless. And because they are - - is not reason enough for him to put himself in the same situation.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join