It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Better World Without Men?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I want to make clear from the very beginning that my intention is not to bash men or women during this discussion. Both sexes poses positive and negative traits. I only wish to explore a hypothetical world not operated or dominated by testosterone/men.

I recently came up on an article titled Californian Dolphin Gang Caught Killing Porpoises

SEEMINGLY random acts of violence by bottlenose dolphins on porpoises could be down to sexual frustration among young males. Cases of the cetaceans killing other creatures for no apparent reason have been reported in UK waters. Now bottlenose dolphins have been seen attacking harbour porpoises in the Pacific Ocean. Crucially, these observations show for the first time that the attackers are young males (Marine Mammal Science, DOI: 10.1111/j.1748-7692.2011.00474.x).

Since I've heard of young male elephants also wreaking havoc on their environment, attacking and killing other animals for no apparent reason, this article led me to a train of thought - "How would a world without men look and operate?"

If you examine the news of any day or year, you will find plenty of articles on men who have committed some violent crime or another. From rape, abuse, brutal murder, violent attacks, bar fights, to fraud, drug and human trafficking, most of these are committed by the males. Admittedly there are many women who also commit horrific acts. They are not to be left out of this discussion completely, but the ratio of male crimes vs. female crimes seems much higher than it should be. For example, according to this website: Bureau of Justice Statistics and Correctional Populations in the United States

In 2009, the majority (82%) of the total correctional population was male, and 18% was female. Men comprised a smaller portion of the total correctional population in 2009 than in 1990 (86%), while the percentage of women increased within the total correctional population since 1990 (14%).

I can tell you that if I decide to travel to a seedy neighborhood, I'm not afraid of what some woman might do to me, I'm more afraid of what a man, or group of men might do to me for my car, my money, or any number of things they may not like about me. It's rare (definitely not impossible) to be held up or beat up by a woman or a group of women. It's always an aggressive-looking group of men I find myself watching out for.

So then what is it about the male sex which makes it so prone to committing crimes? Is it the upbringing? Testosterone? Social conditioning? Social pressures on the male that lead them to a powerful desire to overachieve in any way possible? Since not all men are violent or commit crimes, what is it about the male sex that lands so many in a jail cell?

Some would argue that male aggression is nature's way of keeping a territorial balance. Men are hunters and protectors by nature. While this may be true to some extent, is the use of that aggression necessary in today's day and age, and is it something that can be overcome? Though imperfect, I consider most human beings quite intelligent, and smart enough to figure out that killing somebody for money or selling somebody into sexual slavery is not the best solution to a problem. I don't feel that raping, repeat-killing (serial killers), abusing, or torturing is necessary to a person's survival in most (if not all) cases. Why do so many men (as opposed to women) choose to commit violent acts?

That leads me to imagine a world without men (or at least without men prone to violent aggression). Would we have less wars? More compromise? More compassion? Less crime? Or would women take over where men left off? Would we spend so much money on weapons and defense? Would we have to be afraid to walk into a poor neighborhood? Would gang violence still be as big of a problem as it is now? Is violence necessary for the human race to evolve, or is it holding us back?

Truth is that struggle/survival forces us to invent and reinvent. Many of the technological perks we have today came about, because the technology was highly beneficial to fighting wars. Eventually society found good (non-violent) use for those items, but would they have come to exist without pending wars? Would we have invented many of the things we have today if males weren't aggressive? Maybe in due time. Is there any benefit worth the human pain, suffering and death which we receive from being violent?

I myself would love to figure out what we can do to scale down on male aggression. I suppose I have more questions than answers, and I'd love to hear your feedback. Do you sometimes find yourself out of control? Do you feel like there's no other alternative to causing physical damage? I know that sports can sometimes relieve that pressure, but clearly it may not be enough. What helps you stay in control, and do you believe everyone has the ability to fight off the "natural" urge to become violent?

+38 more 
posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
This thread to me suggests that women are not capable of violence or acts of aggression which is simply not true. Women are capable of being just as violent as men.

Besides, a world with out men would be a world with no humans after about 120 years.

Get rid of one sex and you wipe out the whole species.

So, no it would not be a better place.

+17 more 
posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
a world full of only women huh ???

lmao

wouldn't want to be around all
that PMS. Ya'll would be
fighting over which pairs
of shoes looked the best.

Oops, did I press that lil red button thingy ???

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

This isn't meant to offend you, but I don't think you read everything I wrote. If you had, you would have noticed that I did not leave women out of the crime rate, and I am not discussing a world without being able to procreate. Although it's not part of my intended discussion, I'm sure the need for survival would push women to find ways to keep the human race going through scientific paths.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Oh good,... you also took all of 3 seconds to read my thread before replying.
As funny as your comment might be, it's not exactly what I had in mind when I created the discussion.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Interesting idea (I am male), but I think there is a common denominator in play more so than gender:

Greed.

I'm pretty sure anybody, whether female or male, who wants something bad enough, is willing to do whatever it takes to get it. Especially a species who is capable of reason, and not purely acting out of instinct.

That being said, it seems to me that as a male, it is in our genetic programming to be aggressive. We must fertilize as many females as possible to continue the species.

I will leave my statement at that.

link   
You forgot that all men begin as women within a female and then are reliant upon a female to survive.

Look at the cause of the problem to find the answer. You think that you need to be in control and probably have never questioned what it actually means to be in contol.

Women in Saudi Arabia CANNOT drive a car do the women in America say, well I wont buy fuel derived from there until they can, doubt it.

The world would change in three weeks if every woman around the world simply said no.

link   
But then it would just be the women committing those crimes. The crime will happen one way or another, removing one means the other one will do it.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by 2manyquestions

Well, let me ask it backwards. What would a world without women look like? We would all kick back, stop trying to impress each other, party more, not wash our clothes as much, watch way too much television and never grow up. A world without men would have the same result, women would never grow up either, they would just spend more time doing each others nails.

While I don't mind any questions, I kind of worry about where you are coming from. It is like you would argue comfort over diversity. I find it also offensive in that I am a pacifist and a man, I am not a sex, I am a person and in fact quite capable of using my fists, I choose not too. Now, if we look at your question in another manner, you would want a world exclusively of homosexuals. I have no problem with them; but, would you really want a world without any heterosexuals. I know some gay people call us breeders; but, I actually have lesbian and gay friends and they seem quite happy to be around me and I around them. I don't think they would argue for a world of just one sex. Be well.

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Your thread is highly illogical.

We need men in the world.

In my utopian view, men would each have a harem of females. Because the male would be getting sex all the time, he would be less aggressive. One male could father many many children and also look out after and lead all the women.

It is truly a foolproof plan.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

One wife was bad enough as far as I'm concerned...........

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I think in a world with out men, women would become far more violent and aggressive to compensate for the lack of men. Just my opinion.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Girl on girl hatred is very prevalent and getting worse...

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   

there would still be violence in my opinion, women are just as bad as men. why don't we see it ? well because even now most of the worlds leaders are male. so we have never lived in a world where most of the leaders were female to know they would not be the same or the world would be better off. all i can judge it on is how woman act in day to day life. they are not all angels, some hunger for power, some only care about themselves, these are the ones who will end up in power and effect things, so just the same as some men then.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by subtopia
You forgot that all men begin as women within a female and then are reliant upon a female to survive.

Look at the cause of the problem to find the answer. You think that you need to be in control and probably have never questioned what it actually means to be in contol.

Women in Saudi Arabia CANNOT drive a car do the women in America say, well I wont buy fuel derived from there until they can, doubt it.

The world would change in three weeks if every woman around the world simply said no.

Are you suggesting that women are responsible for a man's violent behavior?
I don't want to be in control of anything except myself. Why is it that women in Saudi Arabia "cannot" drive a car? Did they choose to never learn? Did they choose to avoid going to school? Or did men in their society forbid them from doing so, imposing their physical strength upon them? If you've never been a victim, maybe it's hard for you to imagine why a woman threatened and overpowered by her society's views would continue to subject herself to such abuse. The fear of being beaten or killed for her misbehavior is enough to stop many of them from rising up. What I say here in America makes very little difference as to what happens in Saudi Arabia.

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by 2manyquestions
I myself would love to figure out what we can do to scale down on male aggression. I suppose I have more questions than answers, and I'd love to hear your feedback. Do you sometimes find yourself out of control? Do you feel like there's no other alternative to causing physical damage? I know that sports can sometimes relieve that pressure, but clearly it may not be enough. What helps you stay in control, and do you believe everyone has the ability to fight off the "natural" urge to become violent?

How wonderfully condescending. I wonder if someone asked women if they're able to control their cattiness and passive aggressiveness through cooking and sewing what the response would be. Oh well, back to the maiming and killing, eh lads?!

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Just remember that a gun makes for a very nice equalizer.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Actually, it would be a better world without people, period. As a species, we just seem kill and eat anything that moves.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I don't think it is required for all males to go...

kaiazoo.wordpress.com...

Of course, general upkeep procedures would need to be practiced from time to time.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Think of this, the only reason you feel out of control is due to the actions of control by others and your own mind. More control therefore is not the answer to the feeling that you are out of control for as soon as you feel like you are in control you make someone else feel that they are out of control, compelling them to want to esculate their actions of control to be in control, That's how our species went from throwing a rock to intercontinetal thermoballistic nuclear missiles.

Our world has limited resources, even if there were only females there would still be the want to feed your self to feed your children before another.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join