It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The UN has Voted to Remove Gays from Execution Protection

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
How?

The purpose of the United Nations is to bring all nations of the world together to work for peace and development, based on the principles of justice, human dignity and the well-being of all people. It affords the opportunity for countries to balance global interdependence and national interests when addressing international problems.

Source

Pretty darn clear how that is a fail to me. Then again I go by the dictionary definition of justice, dignity, and well-being of ALL people. I guess to some gays aren't people, go figure.

So how is it a UN fail?

The purpose of the United Nations is to bring all nations of the world together to work for peace and development, based on the principles of justice, human dignity and the well-being of all people. It affords the opportunity for countries to balance global interdependence and national interests when addressing international problems.

The UN did what it is supposed to do, they brought the countries together. It is up to the people of those countries and their governments to enact the change.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
We should sanction every country on the list that agreed with this ridiculous proposal:

China... Still want them to lead the world?
Kenya
Egypt.... I want our billions back!
UAE

There's too many to name.

Sick! Sick! Sick!

Weren't we all pushing for democracy instead of religious law for this very reason??

edit on 26-5-2011 by lpowell0627 because: Edit for mistake. Thanks aeon!!

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

You have your Koreas mixed up. South Korea (The Republic of Korea) voted against the change.

Just because the North calls themselves the Democratic People's doesn't mean squat. They could also call themselves the Flying Saucers of Insanity, and it would be about as real.

If we have any gay activists on this board, I have an idea for you.

You can push your own agenda with MONEY. The great equalizer. Several of the countries on that list are tourist destinations.

Making sure people who are homosexual know that they are in more danger in the Bahamas than they are in Costa Rica, and therefore their vacation dollars are better spent in Costa Rica.....

edit on 2011/5/26 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

How is it democracy not working?

They put it to open vote. Countries voted for, against, or didn't vote at all.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Your understanding of democracy is seriously screwed.

A vote amoungst kings is not democracy.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
hahahahah looks like the line up for world war 3....

Funny that i wasnt supprised by the backwards savages on that list.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420

How is it democracy not working?

Not working in a sense that it does not always bring good results. Just a remainder in todays society where it is worshipped as a holy cow. As a supporter of genio/meritocracy, it strenghtens my case.

You do not hold a public vote on where a neurosurgeon should cut during operation.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Just another example of why we are a primitive species.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Their ignorant votes are their own demise.

Many of those countries already have overpopulation problems and now it's evident why. If homosexuality is not accepted, people will be forced to procreate, whether by force of law or by force of acceptance to "social norms", without the natural urge to do so. This isn't rocket science.

The UN fails to protect minorities once again... majority votes that challenge minorities are archaic, nonsensical shadows of democracy that we stopped taking seriously a while ago here in the developed world.
edit on 26-5-2011 by TheOrangeBrood because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Democracy is not working because these leaders, at least most of them, do not speak for their people and do not represent the people. I can say this easily because if they wanted to speak for the people they would allow their people to vote them out!!

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

Nowhere in the descriptions or definitions of democracy is the result of any concern.

Democracy is only about the process of obtaining the result.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Is anyone else disgusted that religion is not challenged now?

I mean, you can't choose to be gay, you can choose to be religious...

And religious people find nonsensical reasons to use their "faith" to commit horrible acts all over the planet...

Where as gay people.... do absolutely nothing that affects other people based solely on their sexual preference.

In conclusion, after nearly 200,000 years of human existence, the conclusion that we come to is:

Religion - Good

Gay - Bad

This planet needs to grow the hell up already.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons

It didnt make being gay special. It made it so that your crime of BEING GAY wasn't an execution offense. Which it is in a number of these countries.

Thats not what I got from it.

What I got was that previously, you could not execute someone for religious reasons, because they spoke a different language, or because of their ethnicity, or because they were gay.

Now, you CAN execute them for being gay.

Thats what I got out of it.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander

Originally posted by Aeons

It didnt make being gay special. It made it so that your crime of BEING GAY wasn't an execution offense. Which it is in a number of these countries.

Thats not what I got from it.

What I got was that previously, you could not execute someone for religious reasons, because they spoke a different language, or because of their ethnicity, or because they were gay.

Now, you CAN execute them for being gay.

Thats what I got out of it.

We're on the same page. We're just saying it differently.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by peck420
reply to post by Maslo

Nowhere in the descriptions or definitions of democracy is the result of any concern.

I agree. Your point?

Their ignorant votes are their own demise.

Many of those countries already have overpopulation problems and now it's evident why.

In democracy, strenght is in numbers. Expect similar propositions to rise in the future.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Any Gays still visiting those countries that voted against their right TO LIVE is absolutely stupid (unless family is there or something). Don't support them!

Also, this proves why democracy is a fail! If most countries said "YES" to killing someone because they are a different color, then it would be so because this is democracy. Some times democracy doesn't not create peace, it only goes with the beliefs of the majority. If the majority wants violence and hate, democracy will allow it.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by peck420
reply to post by Maslo

If two dictators vote on how many of their own people are executed...is that democracy? Democracy is more than holding a vote. If the people voting don't represent democracy, then the resulting vote is not democratic.

For example, South Africa. They voted to legalize gay marriage...the people did...then their "president" Voted these same people should now be executed. You still think that's democracy?

I doubt south Africans voted for this to ensure that they were executed directly following the ceremony.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
This is NOT democracy.

A vote amoungst Kings is not democracy.

A democracy, strength is in numbers, but minorities have RIGHTS, protections and representation.

Majority rules is a Fascist state, not a democratic one.

When a vote is amoungst elite, picked from the elite and the rich and the powerful in those nations and NOT by the people's vote, with someone who can be recalled based on the will of people then it is not a democratic representation. Nor is it a democratic representation when in the cases there are votes, the people have no freedom or equality of EDUCATION, and no freedom of opinion, and therefore have no basis on which to make a decision.

THIS is not a democracy. This is a vote amoungst the handpicked of the elite, and then a few of those actually have to answer back to a populace who can remove them if they choose.
edit on 2011/5/26 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

That would have made more sense regarding this issue. It should be countries that already allowed gay marriage should automatically be against killing gays for execution. That would definitely represent the demo (people) since they voted for it, and it would also makes sense since having gay marriage legal but being gay executable doesn't make any sense at all.

Democracy:

demo (PEOPLE) + kratia (Rule) = Rule of the people

Oligarchy

oligos (Few) + archo (Govern) = A few (elite) governs.

This voting was an oligarchy and NOT democracy, the people of the countries didn't vote for this, their rules did. So it's oligarchy and not democracy.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

That would have made more sense regarding this issue. It should be countries that already allowed gay marriage should automatically be against killing gays for execution. That would definitely represent the demo (people) since they voted for it, and it would also makes sense since having gay marriage legal but being gay executable doesn't make any sense at all.

Democracy:

demo (PEOPLE) + kratia (Rule) = Rule of the people

Oligarchy

oligos (Few) + archo (Govern) = A few (elite) governs.

This voting was an oligarchy and NOT democracy, the people of the countries didn't vote for this, their rules did. So it's oligarchy and not democracy.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join