It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

London School Economic academic's claim 'black women less attractive' triggers race row

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Proof that campuses are more concerned about political activism than academic freedom.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo

Irrelevant, as long as it is the truth. The only one who is degrading other human beings are these PC nutjobs that are making a big deal out of it, so everyone will know that blacks seem to be on average less attractive.

I think we should be very clear on what the article linked to claims the guy said. He did NOT say white women were the most attractive in that article. He also did not say "blacks" seem to be on average less attractive. His study is not comparing men. He said ,

www.guardian.co.uk...

Kanazawa wrote: "Black women are … far less attractive than white, Asian, and Native American women."

That says nothing about individual black women, many of which are probably considered far more attractive than some white or Asian women. It could only be "on average" and really, that does not mean a whole lot on an individual level.

Other studies have indicated that pale skin is also not at the top of the pecking order in terms of attractiveness.

www.physorg.com...

"Does a person's skin color alone impact whether others perceive her as physically attractive? Advertisers want their models to be perceived as attractive so that consumers will buy their product, and previous studies have found that black models used in advertisements frequently are fair-skinned and have more European features. I wanted to test skin color separately to find out whether it's important to perceptions of beauty. I found that without regard to physical features, people prefer light brown skin over dark brown skin or pale skin," said Frisby, associate professor of advertising at MU's School of Journalism.

For the study, photographs of four female models were adjusted using computer software. Each model was imaged in three different skin tones - light, medium and dark - but all other features remained the same. Frisby asked 79 female participants to evaluate a selection of the photographs, which they believed were for an upcoming advertising campaign. Frisby analyzed the responses and discovered that participants, of whom 45 were Caucasian and 34 were African American, found the light brown skin tone most attractive.

Males dont get as much of an advantage from fair skin as females do in the sexual selection game, and may even be at a disadvantage against their browner counterparts.

en.wikipedia.org...

Testosterone has been shown to darken skin color in laboratory experiments.[42] In his foreword to Peter Frost's 2005 Fair Women, Dark Men, University of Washington sociologist Pierre L. van den Berghe writes: "Although virtually all cultures express a marked preference for fair female skin, even those with little or no exposure to European imperialism, and even those whose members are heavily pigmented, many are indifferent to male pigmentation or even prefer men to be darker."[43]

According one study (Yee N., 2002), gay men who identify as "Only Tops" tend to prefer lighter-skinned men while gay men who identify as "Only Bottoms" tend to prefer darker-skinned men.[32]

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
The left is not interested in 'truth' unless it serves their political agenda, same with Islam and their supremecist agenda - same with creationists etc.

Simple truth is that all of the institutions of the Western world have been taken over by the left - they all function solely to promote leftist interests.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by JohhnyBGood

What does your political trolling have to do with the topic? Really?

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Well I'm black, I don't find it offensive because it's true. I agree with that man.
Some black women aren't attractive as some whites/latinos and others. Some people are pretty and some people are not.
Prettier ones always attract somebody, whether you have attractive qualities and features is another thing. Peace

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
ok... I'll bite; Why was this study done in the first place. Also why an economist doing this survey?

I mean what results would have done anything productive?

Now as to the word racist. No reporting the study wasn't racist, but a study that judges attractiveness based on race?

There are so many other questions about who was judged, who participated...There's no way to really make a solid answer unless he surveyed the entire world against the entire world. But even if we did that the answer would be meaningless.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by MIDNIGHTSUN

Wait so he's not allowed to have an opinion because you don't like the opinion he has?

I do not find this racist at all they did a study about a fairly nebulous and shallow subject and got the results they got... THIS IS NO REASON to CRUCIFY this poor man.

He isn't saying black women are less human or less intelligent just that HIS STUDY SHOWED results indicating that the study subjects found the other women in the study MORE ATTRACTIVE.

If you are so thin skinned as to confuse this with racism .... I truly feel sorry for you and your lack of any sort of mental faculties that god gives a mule.
edit on 21-5-2011 by roguetechie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Wait so you feel it's trolling because you DISAGREE with his point of view not what he is saying?

Maybe you ought to readjust your troll compass.... I too feel that the "left" has slowly but surely infiltrated much of the government with their subtle racism (used to keep us divided) and other highly divisive tactics. On top of this their renting of every private jet ON THE PLANET so they can travel IN STYLE to CLIMATE CHANGE CONFERENCES!!

It's really pretty pathetic seeing as many people as I do on this board who want to APOLOGIZE RATIONALIZE or otherwise IZE away the bad behavior and plain old KLEPTOCRATIC nature of the left on a site that is supposed to deny ignorance.

AND just to point this out right away because I'm sure I'll get accused of being a rapacious disaster capitalist / 65 year old OIL executive that has an NRA tablecloth and tie pin.... I am no fan of the so called "right" either. They are working hand in hand with the Left who is taking the forefront in the race to Neo Feudalism by gilded cage serfdom.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Studies like this always make me laugh and makes me think........what the hell are people doing with their time?

edit on 21/5/11 by Viking9019 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Viking9019
Studies like this always make me laugh and makes me think........what the hell are people doing with their time?

edit on 21/5/11 by Viking9019 because: (no reason given)

Exactly what I'm thinking...seriously who gives a crap chute about studies like this? It's a waste of resources and valuable time. Hey, why don't we make a study asking women if they find men with high incomes more attractive than their lower income counterparts?

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
after reading the title of this thread I simply haaaad to drag my peg leg in here and see what it was about. After clearing the mucous from several of my eyes I was able to discern that even in the face of all of this the world will just keep spinning. I have photographed and drawn faces for a long time and I gotta say....regardless of race, the average person is usually aesthetically compromised. And they know it...which is why things like beauty enhancers sell so well. Is this racist....no. Skeevy...perhaps. If one were to look at the psychological implications and the resulting weak hearted women who flock to the makeup counter in order to compensate for a perceived inferiority. The people who will profit from such things. From retail chains all the way back to the chemical companies manufacturing those poisons. When I look in the mirror I see good skin, shiny hair, facial symmetry, nice teeth and great eyes. These are things that make me biologically attractive, regardless of what any publication states. If one has never had an issue with feelings ugliness then line your bird cage with said article and keep it moving. If such things DO strike a chord and you feel that all people should be seen as "attractive" then you really are oversimplifying things because there are plenty of people walking around on this planet who will NEVER get a date, be kissed or get laid. And I dont cry for them. nor would I cry for the ugly duckling because perception shapes reality and no one can push your perception of self on you. it comes from within. To submit to another's reality is a sign of weakness.
edit on 21-5-2011 by irsuccubus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Isnt every person allowed to like who they want?...If I find one type of woman more attractive than another,am I not allowed to do that?....Thats chemistry,not race....Im an a*s man,a*s and legs....color doesnt enter into it...but you say that Im not allowed to have a preference?.As like someone DOES prefer White to dark...or oriental to Latino?..same thing.....weird thinking on here for sure

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Whom is or isn't attractive is subjective...I have no problem with the study...even though in my opinion it is wrong.

I personally find black women the MOST attractive...oh well I guess this study means more black women for me!

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
How is this any different than claiming average-weight people are more attractive than obese people?
If I'm not attracted to obese people, does that make me hateful towards obese people?

And what's wrong with saying someone isn't attractive?

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
these people never see halle berry?

tyra banks, whoopi goldberg, j/k, beyonce, lena horn, nuttin wrong with black women!

who they ask about that anyway?

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
In a nutshell this man's research is FLAWED. After doing some research myself I've arrived at the conclusion this man have some deep-seated issues that is projected onto his research, no objectivity, the same objectivity a researcher need for reliable results. Now others in his profession are saying he fabricated his results to reflect his biases, so professionally his work will always be questioned.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
This article got me thinking about something I’ve been noticing a lot lately in the UK. A lot of averts / commercials on TV in the UK that feature couples have a black male and a white woman. You would notice this in a lot of the furniture adverts that get played here. I’m sure there are lots of black actress’s being over looked because of this. But for what reason? Are interracial relationships being pushed or is there an agenda against black women by the UK media? One of the most beautiful women in the world is the black singer Beyonce. There are lots of really pretty black women out there.

Now you have these academic's stating black women are less attractive. Something is not right.
edit on 21-5-2011 by No Retreat No Surrender because: Spel

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Get your head out of your rectum. The world evolves to select that which is desired for whatever reason. Darwin was right. Put 5 people on an Island 3 men one white, black and Aian. And 2 women one white, one black. Guess who the men will want to breed with first. That's reality. Political correctness is useless because it attempts to restructure reality. Sorry reality won't go away no matter how many people protest it.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by No Retreat No Surrender

Thats becoming more and more prevelant in American movies and TV also....they are pushing an agenda of mixed races...

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chai_An
In a nutshell this man's research is FLAWED. After doing some research myself I've arrived at the conclusion this man have some deep-seated issues that is projected onto his research, no objectivity, the same objectivity a researcher need for reliable results. Now others in his profession are saying he fabricated his results to reflect his biases, so professionally his work will always be questioned.
What is the source of your research?..proof please that you are correct and he is incorrect...

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join