It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fair or Not? No driver's license for dropouts!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Fox Molder

Honestly though "WHO" had to study for drivers ed? If you don't understand drivers ed, you probably don't understand this world as a whole and shouldn't be driving. On the note of the GED, while it is fairly easy (I just took it three weeks ago) for someone living in a impoverished school district with very little education would most likely suffer at it. To compare the drivers test to a GED is facile...

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy
I thought it was our god given right to travel freely.....this clearly stops this, which means they are trying to get rid of even more rights.

Driving....traveling, is not a privilege its a right!

Get roller blades, a bike, a skate board or better yet a horse but if you want to share the open asphalt roads.....You better be smart enough and have at least a GED before you get your license!!!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

Say wut ??!!

Some states actually allow children under the age of 16 to drive ?!

Never mind linking driver's licenses to school performance, how about linking driver's licenses to responsible adults ?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fester1882

Honestly though "WHO" had to study for drivers ed? If you don't understand drivers ed, you probably don't understand this world as a whole and shouldn't be driving. On the note of the GED, while it is fairly easy (I just took it three weeks ago) for someone living in a impoverished school district with very little education would most likely suffer at it. To compare the drivers test to a GED is facile...

Cough cough hurm Bu115h!t..Cough cough.......Come on....get a better argument than that please.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I find them linking these two situations ridiculous. If someone does come to the decision to drop out of school they are already narrowing down their employment choices severely. Having a driver's license could keep several options open...even if they don't have their high school diploma - construction, landscaping, labourer etc are all jobs that you can still do without that diploma, but are much easier to get if you can drive (not only on the job but getting to the job). This is just going to put more people into the welfare system in my opinion.

Secondly, I feel they are targeting a group of people that won't or can't fight for themselves. Children deciding to drop out of school generally do so for certain reasons...whether they're not academically inclined, or their home situation is bad, or they need to work to support themselves or help with the family. Un(der)educated, probably low self esteem....perfect target for the "bully" government

Michelle

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

My oldest is 14 and he drives a 50cc scooter and had to pass a written exam as well as a road test. And as a parent I made damn sure that his grades were deserving of the privilege he sought in a drivers license.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Im not trying to create an argument im just pointing it out. If you want to argue go for it, I don't engage in arguments just posting a reply to response.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Fester1882

I'm not arguing, just stating that it should be common sense that if a kid CAN'T get the school program why should he be allowed to STUDY for a driver's test? Obviously if he gets all the laws and variables of driving legally, he should grasp the fundamentals of school ??

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
This law was passed in Florida long ago, so if you're interesting in finding out the effects of it, you might try checking the drop-out rates here. Also for those who are working, I think they are allowed to get a temporary license, but only allowed to drive to work and back.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

You make a good point, considering most Driver's ed classes are only offered in schools. And in reality the GED is pretty much as simple as a drivers ed test. I was just about to post a scenario involving a pregnant girl but... who really gets pregnant before 16 and keeps the kid nowadays? So that wont work, all-in-all I concede and agree that if your not smart enough to pass either GED or High School diploma you probably don't deserve a license. Although I just have to ask... Who receives their license after high school? (No insult intended, honest question) I received my Operators license at 16 and got my full Drivers license at 18. So is this about getting your preliminary operators license (which is what they test you on) or drivers license?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

I had my "hardship" DL when i was 14. I learned to drive a standard when i was 8. Ive never had a wreck. Whos responsible?

MOTF!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by visualmiscreant

"Florida is a leader...in High School Drop out rates. Nearly 1 in 4 Florida High School students do not graduate.
You can read Florida's graduation rate report here. It shows that the state's graduation rate has climbed since 2003. How can our children compete in a global economy if they can't even graduate high school? 1 in 4 (25%). This is an appalling statistic that we should not stand for. Join WorstToFirst.org in standing up for the education and well-being of Florida's kids."

Source 05/07/2009
Doesn't seem to have worked very well in Florida!
edit on 5/16/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy
I thought it was our god given right to travel freely.....this clearly stops this, which means they are trying to get rid of even more rights.

Driving....traveling, is not a privilege its a right!

If you believe that a Creator endowed you with inalienable rights, then you surely must also believe that a God - directly or indirectly - also gave you your legs to walk.

There is absolutely nothing that deprives you of your right to travel.

Automobiles were invented long after 1776, and, unfortunately, you are coming across as the quintessential American who can't live without his luxuries, and, in particular, his gas-guzzling car.

The ''right to travel'' means that you have the right to patronise the highways, byways and unowned land of your country; that is all.

edit on 16-5-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fox Molder
And as a parent I made damn sure that his grades were deserving of the privilege he sought in a drivers license.

Good on you!
This should be the parents' decision, not the state. I get a nearly endless supply of laughter at the boneheads that run around shrieking about "government intrusion" into their little lives, only to support such government intrusion into other people's lives...

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sek82

So basically yes I support it. I wish that my state Government would come up with a plan to reduce the number of cars on the roads in California, certainly... Even on a nice lazy sunday here our freeways are utterly clogged with traffic

But the question is: IS it okay to take away someone's rights like this. The law says you need to be 16 to get a driver's license. Regardless of how we would all like to see less cars/more graduates, the issue is whether or not it is okay to strip someone of a right that others have, just because they are not doing what you want.

I personally think that if you say "You need X to do Y", then that is that. Don't start stripping rights from people because you don't agree with the choices they are making. Its incredibly insulting in my opinion, and patronizing to say "We think you should do this, so we are going to 'encourage' you to do this by making things difficult for you, instead of letting you live your own life, make your own mistakes and decide for yourself."

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fox Molder
My oldest is 14 and he drives a 50cc scooter and had to pass a written exam as well as a road test. And as a parent I made damn sure that his grades were deserving of the privilege he sought in a drivers license.

What's the top speed that he can do on a 50cc scooter, as opposed to the top speed that he can achieve on a normal, unmotorised bike ?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by AlphaBetaGammaX

I totally agree, this is another step on our way towards a 'Nanny State'.

I am trying to find dropout information on other states that instituted this, but am coming up with conflicting reports. I will be adding them if I can find them. If anyone else would like to please do!
Thanx. AB

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

(please forgive if this has been said)
Dumb idea. Basically they're using a carrot and stick but ignoring the problem.
Poor education.
To make a significant change, not just a stop-gap measure, you have to over-haul the educational system. Go back to the basics. Reading, writing, arithmetic. Science. Languages. Physical training.

Not socially relavent subjects, not emotional subjects. Not politically biased subjects.

If the state was smart, it'd turn away every stinking dime the federal government doles out and make the local areas provide. Bring in teachers who want to educate, not just milk the system. Enforce strict standards and work to understand why they are/are not being met.

But this? Nah.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by 46ACE

Over 50 Judges, Courts and Laws say it is our RIGHT TO TRAVEL by any means available to the public whether automobile, carriage or horse drawn wagon upon the public roads.

DENY IGNORANCE!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
My first reaction to this was, "Good. People are too dumb nowadays. If learning for the sake of learning isn't enough motivation to get them to attend school, then maybe they'll learn for the sake of being able to drive."

But then I realized that you don't really learn anything of consequence in high school... so it seems that this law is just another way to limit freedoms.

I'm one of those people who loves academics - so I just can't understand the concept of not wanting to go to school. But then again, public schools are pretty awful, and when I went to a public high school I had no motivation to bother attending. It wasn't until I transferred to a private school that I actually started learning anything worth my time.

So yeah, I guess I understand that they are just trying to get attendance up. But they are certainly going about it the wrong way.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join