It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ALARMING: 63 percent of people killed in Iraq war were civilians

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   

U.S.-led wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have been causing huge civilian casualties with 63 percent of some 109,000 people killed in the Iraq war being civilians, according to a report on the U.S. human rights record released on Sunday.

The figures were quoted from a WikiLeaks trove by the Human Rights Record of the United States in 2010, which was released by the Information Office of China's State Council in response to the country reports on Human Rights Practices for 2010 issued by the U.S. Department of State.

Figures from the WikiLeaks website also revealed up to 285,000 war casualties in Iraq from March 2003 through the end of 2009, according to the report.

It has been said that the death of millions is a statistic, but the death of one is a tragedy. I would argue that it's millions of tragedy's. What we can't account for are the untold consequences that haven't happened yet--the blowback. Have we killed someones relative who has vowed to get revenge on us? Will this happen a decade for now?

We must remind ourselves of our goal, but what's the goal here? If we are there to liberate a country, then we must not place very much value on human lives. If we were there because of WMD's then we were dead wrong.

It's time to leave. Let's support our troops by letting them come home to their families. We don't belong there anymore.

Click here to read the article.

edit on 13-4-2011 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
this one of the reasons why Muslims hate us not because of our freedoms but because we raped, pillaged, and bomb the sh!t out of them.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Yes, we should leave so the Sunni can slaughter the hell out of the Shia, and vice-versa - which is where most of these "civilian casualties" originated.

$*** on a stick.

And all this time, I thought the number was some 500,000 that died from depleted uranium alone . . .

Can we come up with some more crapped-up statistics to skew a lie?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
the US fired off 250,000 rounds per casualty
mostly civilians eh,
wow

Real casualty numbers: Over 100,000 GI casualties per year of the Iraq War now and in the future, as long as it drags on

newsgroups.derkeiler.com...
wow
makes you wonder who, if anyone actually won
well someone got rich

edit on 13-4-2011 by Danbones because: link

edit on 13-4-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Only 63%

I suspect that's a deliberately conservative estimate, don't you ?

I also imagined everyone, Americans included, were aware of the unjustified slaughter of civilians, all the way through ?

Did people imagine those being killed were 'insurgents' -- i.e. Iraqis simply trying to defend themselves against foreign invaders with no justification for being in Iraq to begin with, let alone just cause to murder the people while chewing gum and raping their children ?

It's going to return like a boomerang, sometime down the line. The US administration has endangered its citizens. And if truth be told, there aren't too many people, anywhere in the world, who don't believe the US has it coming. Just as most believe those responsible for the carnage in Iraq and Afghanistan, etc., will escape to luxury bunkers, leaving the US citizenry to suffer when the world takes revenge

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Yeah I had seen those numbers elsewhere a few days ago... pretty sickening...

We can kill 63,000 or so innocent people, but cant manage to get the boogie man, aka osama. what the heck

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Here's an interesting study:

Notice the date tho.

en.wikipedia.org...

The Lancet study's figure of 654,965 excess deaths through the end of June 2006 is based on household survey data. The estimate is for all excess violent and nonviolent deaths. That also includes those due to increased lawlessness, degraded infrastructure, poorer healthcare, etc. 601,027 deaths (range of 426,369 to 793,663 using a 95% confidence interval) were estimated to be due to violence. 31% of those were attributed to the Coalition, 24% to others, 46% unknown. The causes of violent deaths were gunshot (56%), car bomb (13%), other explosion/ordnance (14%), airstrike (13%), accident (2%), unknown (2%). A copy of a death certificate was available for a high proportion of the reported deaths (92% of those households asked to produce one)

edit on 13-4-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
63% of Americans think the missiles used had terrorist seeking lasers attached.

Seriously though, I heard the death toll was actually 1 million.
3000 Americans are worth a million Arab lives apparently.

There's a reason Babylon the whore, aka America, is going to fall.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I -still- remember back when Bush said, lets attack them, and I watched on TV, the bombing of Bagdad, and how sick and horrified I felt. I KNEW it was wrong then, that is why. I KNEW there'd be no "weapons of mass destruction" and that it was illegal and immoral. Then I remember how sick and horrified I felt when I listened about how Saddam Hussein was killed. He -was- a -strong- -secular- leader there.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
casualties of war...its not like its anything new...its a part of war..if they are in th way its not like they are gonna stop fighting so they can get to safety...im not saying i dont feel bad for innocent people who die but its been around since the first wars..WAR CASUALTIES...im pretty sure that other is civilians

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
There are 2 sides to every story.

Perhaps if the coward insurgents distinguished themselves from innocent civilians then that number would be much lower.

My feeling on the matter is:
If you ain't been there, you have no idea what you are talking about.

It is so easy to criticize reading stats on the internet in your nice comfy chair. Get up grab a coke and sit back down to read some more on the internet. If you had spent any time there at all under fire, perhaps the armchair Generals would feel different.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
This is nothing compared to whats on the agenda.
Firstly there are the deaths and deformities that depleted uranium will cause in future years.
Then there is the total of those who will die because of the degraded medical system,water system, and sewage and light systems.
Its not gonna be over for the iraqis for a long time.Theyll still be reblding for years.
Afghanistan is in similar straights, and Lybia is fast becomming an aerial shooting gallery for the coalitions DU munitions.
Iran or Syria are next on the list, and it looks as if Syria is about ready for the humanitarian bombimg to begin.
I imagine the no fly zone will be going up there too very soon.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
perhaps if the cowardly soldiers
would quit hosing the whole street from helicopters...

250,000 rounds per casualty...

where did the US put its bases...
thats right many are right in or near major population centers..
cowardly

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by gdaub23

"War"? The only ----- war the United States ever fought in, was World War II against the Nazis. The attack on Iraq was not a war, for example. It was a violent CRIMINAL home invasion, and there were no cops for Iraq to call and come resque them. Because the cops were the crooks invading. WE have become the NAZIS.

link   
reply to post by gdaub23

"War"? The only ----- war the United States ever fought in, was World War II against the Nazis. The attack on Iraq was not a war, for example. It was a violent CRIMINAL home invasion, and there were no cops for Iraq to call and come resque them. Because the cops were the crooks invading. WE have become the NAZIS.

link   
reply to post by Acid_Burn2009

wow
thats quite the diatribe for
no
WMDs
where are they...?
guess the people who were there don't know as much as you claim

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Ok, really?

I really, really hope you are not American...

Babylon, the whore aka America...fall

We won't give you the satisfaction. We have our problems and we are not perfect but dammit, it still is the best country in the world to live in. Take your "I hate America" propaganda elsewhere, and that goes for the rest of you freedom hating America bashers.

Thread FAIL on your part

Originally posted by Ghost375
63% of Americans think the missiles used had terrorist seeking lasers attached.

Seriously though, I heard the death toll was actually 1 million.
3000 Americans are worth a million Arab lives apparently.

There's a reason Babylon the whore, aka America, is going to fall.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by simone50m

definition of war:war [ wawr ]
armed fighting between groups: a period of hostile relations between countries, states, or factions that leads to fighting between armed forces, especially in land, air, or sea battles
period of armed fighting: a period of armed conflict between countries or groups
methods of warfare: the techniques or the study of the techniques of armed conflict
Synonyms: conflict, combat, warfare, fighting, confrontation, hostilities, battle

im pretty sure just because you have a different view on these conflicts they are still wars and civilian casualties are a part of them...always have been and always will...
edit on 13-4-2011 by gdaub23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
America is NOT the greeatest country in the world anymore. Currently, with healthcare and infant mortality, we rank at the bottom with third world and extremist nations

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Acid_Burn2009

I live in the center of America.
No one, I mean NO ONE, hates America for our "freedom"
We've given up most of our freedoms and it sickens me.
My colleagues would rather watch a fake "reality show" than stand up for freedom.
Were facing decadence like no other country has.
They hate us because we have troops in 175 countries at least(according to the NFL, they said they broadcasted to troops in that many countries.)
We tell other countries what to do, and when to do it.
You're only free to do what is UNIMPORTANT.

How do you know this is the best country to live in? Have you been to all of the others?
Or are you just repeating what your masters tell you?
My guess is the latter.

edit on 13-4-2011 by Ghost375 because: Denying ignorance

<<   2  3 >>

join