It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Compasses going crazy...Theories and Research

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Well.. This makes me want to go out and buy a compass...

Surprisingly some here are reporting the same thing as the OP. But some also reporting nothing wrong with theirs.... Interesting...

This means to me, that either people are some how reading their compass wrong... Or there is something going on.... and only some areas are affected.... I don't know...

Confusing... But interesting.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Caji316

Yep that's what mine was reading this evening here in Central NC, Fayetteville area.

And just for giggles I am going to go look at them again.

edit on 19-3-2011 by watchdog because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
This thread is real cool. Unfortunately I do not have a compass. I do have a magnet and a couple of needles so I can make one. I was wondering if each person that posted what their compass was doing could also say where they are in the world so we might be able to map it out a little better.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Dead Center of the U.S. mine says North is North.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
i live in washington state..my compass is working fine
so far anyway

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

I know I read mine correctly. I was trained how to use compasses back in the day when thats what was used to "tune in" satellite dishes for TV. My compass is a real Engineers compass, one of the best you can get. And at this moment, its still reading East as Magnetic North, locked dead on. No matter how its move, where its located, it spins right back around to the same readings. The compass in Virginia has done the same all day today.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
its hard to get it wrong even if you can't even read a compass. Just put north under one of the arrows and see what it says.
You know where your sun rises at so you know which way east and west are anyway.Mine are just way off at present...Same here...I use to work for Dish Network setting up sats.. I know where North is at and it isn't where these compasses say it is...The compass is wrong or north has moved....lol....
edit on 19-3-2011 by Caji316 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
some compasses may have been calibrated and others not, maybe, ? also smart phones recalibrate to adjust to the shifting poles automaticly.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by remembering

My Compass: Latitude: 41.99 N, Longitude: 77.31 W.....reading 80 degrees...magnetic north

My friends compass in VA: Latitude: 36.69 N, Longitude: 83.12 W ....reading 76 degrees...magnetic north

My reading should be: 15 degrees magnetic north

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Caji316

At this point, I'm betting on North has moved

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
i am in Victoria, Australia and my north is still the same old north :-) it wold have been exciting if it had changed!

could it perhaps be to do with some pollutants in the air containing some sort of metal particle? who knows, could be anything! and there's a lot of 'anythings' out there :-)

radiation perhaps?

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
For those with compasses that are off, just use a strong magnet and remagnetize them, and they will most likely work correctly. If you have a strong neo. just hang one from a fishing line and it will align with earths field.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I made my hubby go out to his truck to get his 'good' compass.... North is still north here in the Okanagan in BC!

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freezer
For those with compasses that are off, just use a strong magnet and remagnetize them, and they will most likely work correctly. If you have a strong neo. just hang one from a fishing line and it will align with earths field.

I already thought of that. Didn't change anything. This is actually driving me a little nuts trying to figure this out. A few people report the same phenomena across the US. So, something is going on here.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
okanogan U.S.A. north is north checked with gimbalald marine compass

+20 more 
posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Okay, I took the responses so far that were in the US. The Red is the compasses where North is off and appears East, and the Green are compasses that are true North. Maybe a pattern forming

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Are you guys for real??? north is north as for determinability of just were this anomaly starts and ends... well do you actually asume some states have repositioned themselves??? do you think you set your compass down where the arrow points is where it should be? Maybe you should spin it till its on the N then you can begin to understand how to use your new compass... Maybe...

link   
In Minnesota right now, my north is apparently east-ish too.

About 2 weeks ago, north was still north on my compass... this is interesting to say the least.

link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Thank you! Great mapping. This will be very useful.

+7 more 
posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by 5StarOracle

read up a little....some of us are actually trained and seasoned in using compasses. A couple have actually been trained for past jobs that required compass reading. So, we're not "trying to read our new compasses".
edit on 3/19/2011 by MadDogtheHunter because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join