It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tenn. bill would make following Shariah a felony

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Where did I say they all were?

I happen to personally know some people who fit exactly that description.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
reply to post by snowspirit

Yes, but you do understand that the Old Testament has laws that are illegal in the US too, right?

I mean you cant actually stone adulterers to death in the US, or non-virgins, or your children if they are disobedient. And we all understand this, even without a specific law stating that it is a felony to do so.

So why would you need a specific law targeting Sharia, which is very broad, and encompasses things like foot washing?

Its just ignorance on the part of a bunch of Southern Baptists hopped up on too much caffeine and Jesus.

I had a whole huge answer written up and *poof* gone. Damnit.

OK, short version. You are right.
It is very silly to write up a law stating Muslims cannot use their laws. Canada has had some trouble with some Muslims trying to enforce Sharia Law, even though we told them it cannot apply here. That should be all that's needed.

www.canadianlawsite.ca...

Attempts to set up Sharia courts in Canada in 2005 were abandoned after protests. The Jewish community and the Catholic community did not want Muslims introducing Sharia into Canada, so they accepted the decision to ban all religious arbitration in Ontario, including their own respective tribunals. In May 2005, the Quebec National Assembly unanimously supported a motion to block the use of Sharia law in Quebec courts.

They should have the right to use whatever part of the Sharia that does not clash with the laws of the country. They have done honour killings up here, and there was one case where a mother strangled her daughter, and got off with a suspended sentence. People perceived that as Sharia Law being used, parts of it that should not have been. I'm not sure why the judge didn't give her prison time.

We're a very multicultural country though, and we've had arguments with other ethnic groups too, about their cultural beliefs, like east Indian kids are NOT allowed to wear their ceremonial swords to school. That argument went on for a long time. They might even still be fighting for that one.

I'm not against the practicing of the religion, only some of the laws that sometimes come with that religion. As long as a group knows what parts of their culture are against the laws of the land, all should be good. That stuff should be made clear to them when they immigrate to their new home.
edit on 1-3-2011 by snowspirit because: added

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by pauljs75
Stoning people to death or doing things like honor killings are already felonies in this country, why would we need another law in regards to this kind of thing? A crime is a crime, no matter the reasons behind it. That includes sharia or any other religious doctrine. If law against murder is enforced and justice carried out in that regard, then it shouldn't be an issue.

You just said all that needs to be said on the subject: A crime is a crime. If a portion of Shariah law is a crime, it's still a crime. If not, then it should not be governed. This law is simply a way to fuel racism intentionally since it will have no real-world affect on anything whatsoever.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Islam, Shariah, is a political movement disguised as a religious movement. It is a structure used to control the population. To compare it to christianity would be like having the christian, catholic, baptist church rewrite the constitution for it's own gain and viewpoint.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bones_
Too many islamaphobes in this thread....
good luck

If you look at the history, Sharia Law has little to do with Islam. Islam itself has been around much longer, & the muslims contributed greatly to civilization. Then Sharia Law came into play & all the muslim countries that embraced it have been knocked back into the stone age & contribute nothing to society besides intolerance & terrorism. If you want to get to the root of terrorism, look where Sharia Law rules instead of all of Islam.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by shai hulud

It's already illegal to strangle someone to death. There is no need to outlaw Sharia law, because we already have laws that would negate certain aspects of Sharia Law that are...well...illegal. Targeting Sharia law specifically is nothing more than an attempt to single out Islam. That is not equal protection.

I am not sure why some are so worried about this. To worry see Sharia Law as a threat in our society, is to say that we would just allow a woman to be murdered for adultery. I find it hard to take that anyone would actually, truly believe this would ever happen.

edit on 2-3-2011 by nunya13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Passing laws to prevent judges from considering Sharia law in their court are ridiculous. Just make sure judges only consider constitutional law (state and/or federal) and the problem is solved. Creating more laws to watch laws that are disregarding laws in order to...it's nuts.

/TOA

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by toolstarr

GO TOOL and GO TENNESSEE!

Sharia Law is an evil repressive law designed to control and torture people.

Under Sharia Law, women have their noses cut off.

Under Sharia Law, there are no human rights.

Sharia Law was made by a few warped old men.

GET RID OF SHARIA LAW - IT IS EVIL.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   

you can view it the way you want it but i welcome this bill and i say good timing maybe your going to have a different view if these Arab or African immigrants kill your loved one or even do worse.

Sweden has a huge problem with Arab or African immigrants and alot of people are getting angry.
edit on 2-3-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Movements, religions or philosophies that advocate limiting basic freedoms and rights of people need to be banned and prosecuted. For example, it is not enough for stoning someone to be a crime. Advocating stoning needs to be a crime, too. It is basically incinting violence. Extremist interpretations of shariah are a cancer on society, as is any violent cult.

Moderate muslims that do not hold extremist views should not be limited in their worship, tough.

edit on 2/3/11 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I think it's very simple
if you come to this country you have to obey the law
You don't necessarily have to integrate, but you have to obey the law

if portions of extreme interpretations of shariah law is illegal then the culprit goes to jail, it's that simple.
no need for a bill like this
That doesn't mean that the threat of Shariah Law should be taken lightly

and for those citing the constitution about mixing religion and state/fed law, don't forget that the word that follows Sharia is "Law".
So if you want to cite the constitution also mention that Shariah Courts are constitutionally illegal!!!

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I decided to read the bill in question & you can too! TN-SENATE BILL 1028

From the bill:

(3) The targeted criminal prohibitions set forth in this part are meant to be a focused and least intrusive method for the state to protect its citizens and residents from the threat posed by sharia-based jihad and terrorist persons and organizations; and

(4) This part neither targets, nor incidentally prohibits or inhibits, the peaceful practice of any religion, and in particular, the practice of Islam by its adherents. Rather, this part criminalizes only the knowing provision of material support or resources, as defined in §39-13-803, to designated sharia organizations, as defined in §39-13-904, or to known sharia-jihad organizations with the intent of furthering their criminal behavior.

First paragraph defining 'sharia organization'

39-13-904.

As used in this part, unless the context otherwise requires:

(1) “Sharia” means the set of rules, precepts, instructions, or edicts which are said to emanate directly or indirectly from the god of Allah or the prophet Mohammed and which include directly or indirectly the encouragement of any person to support the abrogation, destruction, or violation of the United States or Tennessee Constitutions, or the destruction of the national existence of the United States or the sovereignty of this state, and which includes among other methods to achieve these ends, the likely use of imminent violence. Any rule, precept, instruction, or edict arising directly from the extant rulings of any of the authoritative schools of Islamic jurisprudence of Hanafi, Maliki, Shafi’i, Hanbali, Ja’afariya, or Salafi, as those terms are used by sharia adherents, is prima facie sharia without any further evidentiary showing;

No sure I how I feel about this. Tennessee already has an anti-paramilitary training law, but the language in that law does not cover over throw of government. Law against civil disorder

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by toolstarr

I honestly do not know anything about Shariah, but if it is a legit religion , it is untouchable...

There is no such thing as a legit religion. But I agree, as libertarian, I am against ALL laws that are created out of greed or fear. I haven't read the bill, but I'm pretty sure nobody can make someone drink alcohol, or be forced to stop praying, etc. That would be insane.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
How many people read the article? They are only wanting to get rid of the extreme elements of Sharia Law. Our constitution does not allow the killing of raped females or killing an adulterer. There is no legal ground for that, unless our courts uphold Sharia Law. Muslims can go ahead and not drink and observe their customs, but they should not infringe on the constitutionally protected rights of others.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Good for them! I agree we do have to draw the line somewhere and I would say this is a good place to start. If they don't like it they can go back to the sand dunes and caves.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
shariaa law sorry about spelling has no right to be used in american courts 2 reasons reason 1 it is based on religious edicts and is barred by separation of church and state. second reason it is against our laws to have foreign laws supersede america national or state laws.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

The constitution specifically states favoring or disfavoring any religion unlawful.

?

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Just want to post again that the law being proposed targets:

"the threat posed by sharia-based jihad and terrorist persons and organizations"......

It does not specifically state that to will protect against things link honor killings.

See my post here

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
They have done honour killings up here, and there was one case where a mother strangled her daughter, and got off with a suspended sentence. People perceived that as Sharia Law being used, parts of it that should not have been. I'm not sure why the judge didn't give her prison time.

I think that is key, to managing any religion in a modern society. Strict and unrelenting enforcement of the law of the land over the religious laws.

But that applies to religions other than Islam too. Fundamentalist Mormons anyone? The problem with what is happening in Tennessee is that the people pursuing this policy against Sharia law, do not actually want a strict separation of church and state. Some of them have a stated agenda to infiltrate government. They want a Christian, and more accurately, their brand of Christian government.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Apparently, you have never taken a look backward in history. Christianity is no less political. Its less political at this point in time, in this country. In large because of our Constitution.

There are Christian elements in America that absolutely want a theocracy.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join