It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bownessie, Lake Windermere's Monster, new photo. Awesome. :)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
BUMP

not really an update, but this made it to my Yahoo this am

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Theres something not right about it for me. Tell me if i'm wrong but no camera takes a picture in those dimensions? If they've resized it to that size then theres a reason behind it. If it was real, they'd have the full picture surely.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I've spent a lot of time at lake windermere, and my dad used to drive the big tourist boats (Tern, Teal and Swan) there between Lakeside, Bowness and Ambleside - he's never seen anything untoward in the '10 miles of magic' as it's often referred to!

Plus when he'd start each morning around 6am the lake would be so still it'd look like a giant mirror, anything moving in the water would be very noticeable! Sorry, but there ain't no monsters lurking in lake windermere!!

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Looks like a couple of bin liners with air bubbles being blown by the wind.

And if those are "humps", then that must be one lightweight animal to be that far out of the water.

Not animal imo, just another photo made out to be something fantastic that isn't.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Could it be these guys?
Does any one know if there are turtles on the lake?

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by flyingfish

No, lol, nice try though, I've never seen them up there, but like the croc//alligator suggestion, I don't think you will find them wild round these parts.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I've only just read the full story on the Telegraph website, its not the most read story on the site in the last few days.

The reason its a smaller fuzzy picture is because it was on a phone, makes sense i suppose. I should read before i speak! Haha.

Apparently its the length of three cars and had skin like a seal. I'd love it to be real but with all these lake monsters you have to question how it could live there. It would have to have been there since the lake was created really and it would have to have other members of its species to breed and also is there enough in Windermerre to eat for a large creature like that? As fun as it is, people always miss out key parts like that.

One theory was that it may be some large Eastern European catfish put in there by somebody. Pretty random suggestion. Also i read apparently that they do weekly sonar scans of the lake and they would have noticed a creature that size.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Liamoville

Hehe, I reckon they are making a film from the book "The Pike" and this is a publicity stunt:

FIRST VICTIMS - A screeching swan... A fisherman overboard... A drunken woman in a dinghy... One by one, the mysterious killer in Lake Windermere claims its terrified victims. Tearing off limbs with its monstrous teeth, horribly mutilating bodies. Fear sweeps the peaceful holiday resort when experts identify the creature as a giant pike ... A hellish creature with the strength to rupture boats - and the anger to attack them. But for some the terror becomes a bonanza - the traders who cater to the gathering crowds of ghouls on the shore. And they will do anything to stop the divers finding the killer. Meanwhile the ripples of bloodshed widen... Read more: vaultofevil.proboards.com...

vaultofevil.proboards.com...

I'm going to nip over to Windemere on the mountain bike (just need to fix the chain) in the next couple of weeks, I know exactly where the photo was taken, so with any luck I can shed some light on this.
edit on 22/2/11 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
You know most IT people are pretty tech savvy and usually have pretty up to date if not the latest cell phone to deal with their everyday business. Why does this guys cell phone take pictures about as good as a 1976 polaroid? Sheesh I'm a farmer and have a better resolution camera.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

If i had a weekend off i'd be tempted to have a drive over with some friends and have a look about! It's one of those things though that even if it existed, you could spend months there and maybe not see anything.

Come to think of it! I kayaked on that lake when i went away with school years ago!

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
There might well be terrapins in the lake, people get them as pets and then dump them.
Source article made me laugh, so obviously from the Sun or another tabloid .

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
It's a fake. One of the comments below the yahoo article points out that the picture wasn't taken from a kayak...or else the viewing angle would be from down at water level. This picture was taken from a higher elevation. That means the couple had seen the creature in the water while paddling, then paddled to shore, climbed up the bank to take a picture, and were still close enough to take a picture with a cell phone (no zoom).

Therefore: either the creature wasn't moving or they had originally seen it from a long distance and paddled away before it got close. Yet they claim it was moving at 10 mph, and they gave a detailed description of it's skin. So that leaves a gaping hole in their story.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by avocadoshag

I dont think theres any proof that it wasn't taken from a kayak. When you're in a kayak you're still sat at water level so your arms and head are a good bit above the water. The pictures not so high up that it cannot be from a kayak..

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
its such a bad pic. it could be anything.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
the turtles/terrapins made me laugh, how can you tell what the 'humps' are ?

here's the original picture

barsoc.org...

then there are other witnesses on a different day

HOLIDAYMAKERS believe they spotted Windermere’s mystery creature Bownessie just days after a kayaker caught it on camera.

www.thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk...

someone on another thread suggested it may be beavers, as far as i know (and i don't live to far away from bowness) there are no beavers on windermere

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
the fact that I can see a wake tells me whatever this is it is probably moving
I think it is fake cause there should be some more pics or a video from the phone

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Looks to me like this is the answer to what it is.

Just imagine what that'd look like being carried by the wind/current on the water.

<< 1   >>

join