It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can you being gay affect me being straight?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Walking through the grocery store, back in the mid 1980's as a single dad with his only son... 5 years old he sees two guys holding hands and asks me, Daddy, why are those two boys holding hands? WHAT? Because I have no clue about the gay lifestyle, I was dumfounded and at somewhat of a loss for words however I responded by saying "I really dont know why". Now, that is really screwed up and its a true story. So those of you who thinks it cant or doesnt affect others, think about it.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by G.A.G.

You could have said "because they love each other."

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I'd have said something like, "believe it or not, some men aren't attracted to women but only to other Men... weird huh?"

link   
thought bout it...yeah it might require a little more explanation than the mum,dad and baby thing but at the same time try to explain to a child why others have or do not have a daddy...they understand what there told they just crave to learn at that age...you dont have to go too specific but its no more stange to them than the next thing
edit on 24-1-2011 by ACEWARDOG because: spelling

link   

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by SubPop79

*snip*

I love other males and I'm not gay... just saying "they love each other" doesn't really explain...
edit on January 25th 2011 by greeneyedleo because: snipped derogatory term

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by SevenBeans

I'd have said something like, "believe it or not, some men aren't attracted to women but only to other Men... weird huh?"

Thats just about what Ive said.

If the parent makes it strange or taboo.. it remains strange or taboo. Kids arent stupid.. give them good answers and details. They will soon enough be able to make their own decisions concerning love and "fags".

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
By being one less male going after the same female i want?

Nothing. Simple.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SevenBeans

Originally posted by SubPop79

Well fags are still capable of love.

I love other males and I'm not gay... just saying "they love each other" doesn't really explain...

Sexually, that is.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by G.A.G.
Walking through the grocery store, back in the mid 1980's as a single dad with his only son... 5 years old he sees two guys holding hands and asks me, Daddy, why are those two boys holding hands? WHAT? Because I have no clue about the gay lifestyle, I was dumfounded and at somewhat of a loss for words however I responded by saying "I really dont know why". Now, that is really screwed up and its a true story. So those of you who thinks it cant or doesnt affect others, think about it.

Why is it screwed up?
That is his opinion or take on the matter. It is not yours to correct or justify.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Easy answer to that. "Some times men like men sometimes women like women. sometimes women like men and men like women. There's nothing wrong with that, because love is love no matter what form it is, don't let anyone tell you otherwise."

How hard is that, actually parenting and explaining things to children....

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Children are actually far more perceptive and understanding of simple explanations that we would like to think they are.

A simple explanation of " Well son, love knows no boundries, even between men and women. These two here love each other just like a mom and a dad would. And there's nothing wrong with it."

That's usually all children need. Remember they aren't jaded by years of political discourse and society telling them what is ok and what is not. Your kids learn what is ok by your actions and your rhetoric around them.

~Keeper

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Xiamara

Please dont forget the time frame were talking about. The MSM didnt start advocating for homosexuality until much later. Yes, some of the possible responses submiited by members, were well thought out AND better than mine. I, however was caught so offgaurd that, thats what was said.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Those suggested explanations are well and good. But, those may not be another persons take on it.
Why does it matter either way? It is not your kid, not your right to tell them how to react and not your decision.

link   
reply to post by G.A.G.

MSM or not, that's just how you treat a fellow human being. You don't ridicule, and you teach your children love is love in any form. What does the MSM have to do with anything.

link   
Agree with above.. "because they love each other" would be a great answer.
Why try to make it complicated?
Are we trying to teach discrimination at a young age just because we don't want to explain?
Gay, Straight, or whatever you'd like to call yourself, we are ALL capable of loving whoever we'd like. Even the simplest of minds could understand that.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by G.A.G.
, but a 5yr old knows little about words "love or fags"

I don't know about that.
I'd have to think that a child of 5 who has been raised in a cared for and nurturing environment would have a fairly good grasp of the concept of 'love' ... if not the meaning of the word itself.

... as for the other part ... well. that would seem entirely up to their overall upbringing to that point.

on a side note:
there seem to be some rather decent, thought out and rational replies in the thread so far.

edit on 1/24/2011 by 12m8keall2c because: speeling

link   
reply to post by G.A.G.

Tell me how gay males effect females, now that is the most absurd thing.

link   
Bah! My oldest is gay. And yes, I'm still a Tea Party member. Personal choice, personal freedom.
Individual freedom. Isn't this what it is all about?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join