It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Biggest Ever' Fox Caught In Britain

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
CX

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Ok it's not quite Hogzilla, but the US always did have bigger everything than us.

So we have our very own "Foxzilla". That certainly is some size of fox, and it does raise the question of how big these and other wild animals can become if left to roam free?

A fox, believed to be the biggest ever found in Britain, has been caught and killed after it apparently ate a family's pet cat.

The giant creature was twice the normal size of its species and weighed 26.5lb - or nearly two stone.

It was 4ft long - the same length as an average seven-year-old child and about the size of a coyote, dingo or Iberian lynx.

The animal was caught on Boxing Day by vet Keith Talbot who had laid a trap with food, while he spent Christmas at his parents' home in Maidstone, Kent.

The fox's capture raises fears such creatures are getting larger and bolder, as they have easy access to discarded food from suburban homes.

Source: Biggest Ever' Fox Caught In Britain

I have to say though, regarding the picture in the article, the big fox is pictured laying flat in the prone position, whilst the other is led in a "standing position" on it's side, so it's probably not quite as big as it would at first appear. I would certainly question the 4ft long claim anyway.

Still a monster for these parts anyway.

Edit to add.....the 4ft is nose to tail...stretched out.

CX.

edit on 2/1/11 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Here is a 'B iggest Ever' Fox Caught In Britain]linkzilla

And yowza! I do feel bad for the kitty

edit on 1/2/2011 by adigregorio because: Wow what a linkzilla!

edit on 1/2/2011 by adigregorio because: Last try, terrible links on that site

Last EDIT

Link works, I am scared to touch it again (So does the OP link)

I still agree that it is a rather large fox
And I still feel bad for the kitty

edit on 1/2/2011 by adigregorio because: Link works, even if it looks nasty

CX

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by adigregorio

Thank you for that, i've ammended my post.

Appreciated.

CX.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
How can they say ever?

Just the modern age of britain i would assume.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
maybe its an alien fox from the planet neptune, probably something to do with 2012 being the end of the world or could have been planted here by dick cheney to wipe out all the british cats and make us more stressed from lack of cat stroking so we are more inclined to go to war with iran.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Its surprising the vet had a trap to kill it. The vet must see starved/overfed animals in his care day in and out at the hands of domestic owners, so its surprising he lets rip on the wild animals.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Maybe it's just the photo, but the tail seems thicker (at it's base) and shorter. Perhaps a mutated or cross bred variant.
I also wonder if it was pregnant.
But I don't understand all the fuss over the fox eating a little pussy

edit on 2-1-2011 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
More anti fox propaganda, Bet the torries have fox hunting back in place by next summer.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
aye, catch it and kill it, big man

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I feel bad that this big fella ate a kitty but I feel even worse that the fox was killed for it. Has anyone there ever heard of a tranquilizer? Extraordinary size but no longer, he's dead. This ticks me off big time!!

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
would anyone care if he killed britains biggest rat, foxes are still classed as vermin.
maybe he ate it for his dinner as the shops might have been closed on new years day.

CX

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I must admit to being on the fence with the whole killing of the fox issue.

I live in the forest where hunting was always the norm, i have seen the destruction that foxes can bring.

Then again, they are amazing creatures which you can't stop and stare at when you see one.

CX.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
How many of you read the article? This Vet caught two foxes and then killed them both. Only one fox would have attacked the cat, so this Vet, someone who makes a living treating animals feels it OK to set traps and then kill two foxes because some animal attacked a cat.

While it is sad to lose a pet, foxes are wild animals, and we need to learn to live with nature, not destroy it.

I would ask that all of you make representations to the RCVS - The Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons about the conduct of this vet. Why were these wild animals killed? Vengeance?

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I've got to say that I find this article rather suspect.
Boxing day was the big traditional day to go Fox Hunting in England. Kent is a traditional place to go Fox Hunting and had lots of protests before the ban.
So someone in Kent just happens to trap the largest ever Fox on Boxing Day and incidentally start some more paranoia about Foxes being out of control and dangerous?

Something smells bad, and it's not just the dead fox.
edit on 2-1-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX
Ok it's not quite Hogzilla, but the US always did have bigger everything than us.

Don't say that! C'mon!! Don't say "everything"!! You will give our fellers a complex and the American males a big(er) head )and they certainly do already have bogger heads than us! The big, confidant b&st%rds!!

Originally posted by Manolete
Its surprising the vet had a trap to kill it. The vet must see starved/overfed animals in his care day in and out at the hands of domestic owners, so its surprising he lets rip on the wild animals.

In Rural areas expecially, the Fox is seen as a pest. Farmers will generally kill on site to protect their livestock. Not something I like, would ever do or agree with but I can certainly see their point of view. The Fox takes away their income at a time when we are all but farmers especially, are suffering badly.

They are right bold buggers nowadays. At least the urban fox is. I saw one, bold as brass in a busy neighbourhood, by a main road, just near the centre of town, the other day. IN daylight!! It was only a few feet away, gave me an unimpassioned look before doddering off.
edit on 2-1-2011 by triplesod because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-1-2011 by triplesod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
At 26lb it certainly isn't twice the average weight for a dog fox, 22 lbs is a good size for an average dog fox so its a big fox but not massive and no where near 2x the average!

It was a big healthy fox which is great to see from a wild life enthusiasts point of view!

I'm going to have to say that this is Tory propaganda and a forerunner to fox hunting being re-instated in the UK, the fox the vet had lying next to it was laid on its side and not stretched out like the 'big' fox and it was also a very small fox. The torys want to re-instate fox hunting as the biggest part of their voters are upper middle class fox hunting supporters and any scrap of anti-fox propaganda they can dredge up they will.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
I've got to say that I find this article rather suspect.
Boxing day was the big traditional day to go Fox Hunting in England. Kent is a traditional place to go Fox Hunting and had lots of protests before the ban.
So someone in Kent just happens to trap the largest ever Fox on Boxing Day and incidentally start some more paranoia about Foxes being out of control and dangerous?

Something smells bad, and it's not just the dead fox.
edit on 2-1-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

Totally agree with this sentiment!!! The fox wasn't astonishing in its size it was big and healthy and for any non fox hunting person this doesn't represent anything other than good news!

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Yet again we humans decide what to do ?????? Hmm I know '' KILL IT"

How very pathetic, this is nature and therefore by the same logic, when I see the oversized Tomcat from the farm over the road, stuffed full of mice and wild birds maybe I should trap it and phone Sky news.......

The Vet is a twat and very stupid to boot......... as someone posted already, it is a slightly larger than average Dog fox which is in the prime of it's life.........

Let's kill it !!! reminds me of the recent post from someone the other day who thought he saw and Alien and so he and his Dad just shot it ?????

I GIVE UP !!
PDUK

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Impressive size, but was it really necessary to kill the poor la'l fella? And a vet that did it?? Isn't that like a docotor going against his hippocratic oath?

It sickens me sometimes, the brutality of man.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePeopleParty

Get over your political Bias

I am right wing believe it or not BUT you will be delighted to hear that I am not a supporter of Fox hunting........

I Do have question though.......... do you drive ??

PDUK

top topics

<<   2 >>

join