It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

False Masculinity: Tragic Conspiracy Against Our Males

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
We've turned ourselves into caricatures of humans. We choose to perpetuate it. Choose not to and it's done. We don't need any international movement to do it. Just look at people as fellow human beings who are as perfect and beautiful as you could ever hope for. They are. You are. Just stop posing to be something you're not. Be what and who you are. Love others for what and who they are.

We all land on this planet the same way and we leave the same way. We all want fundamentally the same things out of life. Our paths are different but we are more similar than you might think. Try to see the similarities instead of the differences. Our awareness of fellowship will increase immediately and exponentially. Love is a lot easier than fear/hate. Take a chance on it. We've proved how fear and hate only fail us.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
The way women are programmed is by attacking their most vulnerable attribute, their sexuality. The way men are programmed is by attacking their most vulnerable attribute, their manhood, their masculinity, what it means to be a REAL man. I have spent a lot of time believing that women face more or harsher consequences than men in dealing with this grotesque gender assault. But now I believe both men and women are under attack, and being programmed to behave within the parameters that someone (who??) has set out for us. It is wrong, and it is harmful.

Now you have taken a more balanced approach than your last thread, that is what the elites want they want to create gender war, which is what i have been talking in my thread which is Inspired by your previous thread i have made this thread:

Sexist Female Oppression in Workplaces ? I know why that happens.

If you are interested, your thoughts are welcomed there.

edit on 31/12/10 by vinay86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I've never understood this image of men or women, I just act like I act the way that I am. I don't know how a men could go following these stereotypes and trying to prove with violence, lack of respect etc

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
What a load of crap.

You put dolls and guns and play swords, trucks, dress-up stuff, and baby clothes in a room, and turn loose a bunch of small boys and girls.

Watch. Watch who grabs the guns, trucks, swords and so on.

Watch who grabs the dolls, dress-up stuff and so on.

Jesus. Everyone's trying to make something out of nothing.

Men know what they want. The problem is airhead women creating doubts in their minds.

Most women find certain things attractive about a man. Enough so that she marries him and immediately begins the re-engineering to polish his rough edges and reconfigure him into the man she want to see him become.

If the bimbo is successful, she ends up with something she really doesn't find all that attractive.

So me? I'm pretty much the same, sexual, frequently insensitive Ahole I always was, but I've been married to the same woman for decades.

Because I know my part.

And she knows her part.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicEgg
We've turned ourselves into caricatures of humans.

I wish I'd of said that!

Walking, living, breathing, fantasies, images of who we might be if only we had the right stuff.
Confused, pathetic charlatans, drama kings and queens, desperately seeking an identity.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Have always thought it sad that people cant just be themselves... Rather than trying to live up to false expectations / stereotypes of what they should be...

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

Actually a lot of young people do not know who they are. All of a sudden the secondary sex characteristics kick in with attendant identity confusion . They are thrust into the adult world shortly after and are asked to make major decisions about their future in terms of education and work. Which are frankly without precedent. Doesn't anyone think that is confusing? We are not animals we like in very complex societies.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
How can anyone be expected to be themselves if they have no self knowledge? Why do teenagers travel in herds and dress so similar. Face it teenagers are a modern social phenomenon. The OP's is essentially a social comment which I support.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
The challenge of being a good human being remains that same, but in a society that has changed as much over the last hundred plus years since we harnessed electricity, it is hard to know what our roles are supposed to be.

Our media certainly does do a bad job of portraying decent human beings. I think mostly for the entertainment value. Homer Simpson is a horrible portrayal of a white working class man, but he is funny and entertaining.

Honestly, I think the dumb husband intelligent wife stereotype that has been so popular for so long is running out of steam. In most successful current comedies, there is a lot more balance. The male and female characters both have their strengths and weaknesses. Take "Two and a Half Men" for example. The women on the show are portrayed every bit as flawed as the men. If we could just get our court systems to stop their discrimination against men, we might find some balance.

Then again, FOX owes much of its survival in the early days of the station to the comedy "Married With Children" which is one of the most successful comedies of all time. That was also a show where the women were portrayed every bit as petty and stupid as the men. The strange thing is that even though FOX owed so much of its survival to "Married With Children", they unceremoniously dumped the show the first chance they got.

If boys are having a hard time identifying with male role models, then it is because the men they see aren't being good role models. Honestly, I see a lot of men stepping up their game, becoming more serious about being good fathers, and good husbands. However I don't see this as something the people in power want to see. Take crime for instance, the crime rates dropped tremendously in the early nineties, and have been dropping ever since, but for some reason, law enforcement and the courts were the only departments to get budget increases in last years California budget.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

One thing to tell the kids today about dealing with bullys...that chances are likely, you will be the one deciding their fate when you get older. Thank them for giving you true strength while they exert what little advantage they have over you.

now, give me your lunch money or deal with a wedgie!

Where I went to school, there wasn't a whole lot of bullying. There was always some guy who was tougher, that would take bullies down. From what I understand there are many places, however, where sadly, constant bullying is bad. The thing is, it is one thing to be a bully when you are a young kid, but a whole level worse than to be a bully as an adult.

I hope you aren't one of these kinds of guys who are work place bullies picking on macho types with poor political skills. I didn't like bullies as a kid, and I despise them as adults. There are also an equal share of female bullies in the work place who play the same game.

I would say the real key for men is to develop a true masculinity, and that means being a good human being who stands up for what is right, and doesn't look at taking advantage of others as manly.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Hmmm.. and..hmmm.. My thoughts are not fully formed on this topic but like a manly man I'm not gonna let that stop me from sharing them!!

On Batman / Superman then and now. Consider this... Two Boxing greats...

From the 50's - Rocky Marciano

..and Mike Tyson..

Look at the body, the facial expression, etc. Almost like Batman or Superman from back then and today, except these "male heroes" are real. So, did the fictional heroes change to match the real ones - or was it the other way around??

Ok - here is the part that popped into my head and is admittedly not fully formed yet - and I'm not even sure its correct. But, I'll toss it out anyway. Back in the day men's roles and women's roles were fairly separated by society. Today the roles are pretty blurry between the two at times. So, back then such extremes of masculinity were not needed to be portrayed by the media or looked for by men. Maybe men back in the day were more "sure of their manhood" if that makes sense - so they extreme male model wasn't needed? In other words, they felt sure enough in their manhood that they didn't need Rambo to look up to - they had Audie Murphy instead. I guess basically what I'm saying / asking is this - Is this change due male insecurity that has occurred due to the changes in society?

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

You could be right about there being more male insecurity, but part of it, I think, is just "progress" -- in technology, not necessarily wisdom.

Its like cars if the 50's and 60's, they just kept getting longer, and wider and lower every year until people were driving around in near absurd "boats" a block long. The heros getting depicted get bigger and more muscular every year just to top last year's hero. CGI and animation made anything possible. The weapons got bigger and scarier. The imagination just kept reaching for the horizon which is a never ending thing.

Men today are more in need of an escape than they were back in the 50's. Life was more physically challenging but emotionally stable in many ways. Roles were distinct. Everything worked. Today's lifetstyles is such that you have to buy physical activity thru a gym membership. The nanny society has us all so coddled that excapism thru ridiculous imagery and movies is all there is for most. Not all of us can afford to travel the world on adventure tours and the like. People rely on escape into fantasy more today than ever and use the media that we have now to do it; instead of just books.

I think the uptick in extreme machismo in media is a direct inverse responce to the decrease of those things in our homogenized, bland, boring, safe, and politically correct everyday real life. It's the antidote if you will, to the ever duller, unchallenging modern lifestyle. Our genetics still demand a level of stress that life today denies us; except for mental stress due to lack of $$$.
edit on 1/4/2011 by wayno because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

I think that there is no need to consider the idea of a conspiracy. I think that men basically failed to consider what masculinity was because there was never a need to do so. In the higher echelons of power women are not abundant. There was no need to really study what was going on. Thankfully there is some critiques of masculinity fro an academic view point. I think we see a lot of hypermasculine behaviour from the new Batman/ Superman and GI Joe models to a the rapper like 50 Cent. Hypermasculinity seems to have a massive influence on the male psyche at the moment.

I believe in masculine identities as opposed to a single monolithic Masculinity.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join