It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hipster time traveler photo is real

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I think we all remember the huge commotion about an old photo with what appeared to be a modern looking time traveler in it, namely this one:

Previous ATS thread HERE.

Well a Russian tv crew has gone to the museum where the image is supposed to be kept and found the original.

“Finally, we can definitely answer one of the questions”, wrote us Evgeny Balamutenko on the mystery of the now famous Hipster Time Traveller attending the reopening of South Fork Bridge in 1941.

“The photo is 100% REAL. NTV Russian television crew was filming there [last week] at the museum and found the original photo in one of the albums. I held it in my hands.”

Still doesn't tell us who the person in the photo is, but it's a step in the right direction and proves that it isn't a fake.

Source:

forgetomori.com...

edit on 4/12/10 by Chadwickus because: (reason classified)

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   
The guy with the shades really does stand out.

Whenever some bloke with a total different outfit shows up now, people have a tendency to stare...
Why are those people not looking at him ?

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Ohno! They've abducted Chad!

We're all DOOMED now!

Oo

*goes to read the article*

eddddit

“In the Lilloet news archives we found a short article (just a week before the reopening of the bridge), that read: ‘Visiting his uncle and aunt, L.A.C. Edward Russel came to stay his leave with the Creamers. Two and a half years has he put in with the RCAF and his duties are navigating. L.A.C. Russel stands 6′ 4-1/2" and expects to become a pilot officer when they make cockpits larger." This guy came from UK, this year they were given this kind of glasses (as part of the uniform).”

The height and the glasses would be a match, but still, no confirmation. People had suggested the man could also be Albert Wihksne, who lived in the region and who had another photo of the reopening of the bridge. But his son John doesn’t think he was the hipster we are looking for.

Of course, he could still be a time traveller. “I would certainly not exclude that”, considers Balamutenko. Indeed it’s still a possibility, especially now that the original photo has been located.

A very remote possibility, but a fascinating one – and until we positively identify the hipster, he could be a miner, a visitor, an aviator… or a time traveller.

Whew, we're back to square one on the guy, but nice find on the origins of the snap !!

edit on 4/12/2010 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas

Whenever some bloke with a total different outfit shows up now, people have a tendency to stare...

Maybe the crowd were looking at him for some time, but when the photo was actually taken, they had more important (to the crowd at the time) things to look at.

But maybe the person behind the camera thought the guy in "weird dress" was more important and that's why the photo was taken of him in the crowd???

Very interesting indeed.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas

Well, think about it.. if he was wearing a fluorescent wig, a captain starsnapper headband, pantaloons and meandering on stilts, I bet they would be.

But he's a guy, who's only peculiarity is his hair and glasses (lets not rehash the t-shirt, top etc.. go read the other thread if inclined) and well, people DID have kooky hair and funky goggles at the time.

And we all know that time travellers wear captain kirk outfits if they are from the future.
edit on 4/12/2010 by badw0lf because: i travelled into the future to know Id make a type and came here to fix it.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

They are watching the opening of the bridge which is why they are all there in the first place.

I'd be more interested in the guy, bottom left, who is holding the sony camcorder.
edit on 4/12/2010 by nerbot because: stuff

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Don't worry, I still don't think he's a time traveler.

But it's good to confirm that the photo is indeed real and not a hoax.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

Forget that guy.

What about the one with the iPad tweeting about how boring the bridge opening is.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   
yes they have known for quite some time the photo is real..... But TIME TRAVEL IS NOT REAL..........

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Wow. I just keep staring at that photo. That's really weird.
Maybe some kind of double exposure from some older film or something??? Who knows. But good job, cool thread.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

He is wearing sunglasses. That's what's making him stand out in the crowd.
But in 1941 sunglasses had been readily available and not expensive at all for more than ten years.

His haircut corresponds to the prevalent fashion of the time, except that the top is less cropped.
So yes, he probably WAS "hip". Why not? "Hipsters" existed in all epochs.
(And that may have been the reason he was snapped by the photographer in the first place. Also, the people around him may have looked at him, but such looks last only a few seconds - unless the person who is staring is exceptionally lacking in basic social skills or intelligence.)

The interesting thing about this photo and the surrounding discussion is that it reveals how two-dimensional - literally - the image that people have of the past is.

This is not an insult, or meant to be one; it's the truth.
People seem to forget that their image of the decades preceding their own existence was formed on the basis of viewing films - mostly fiction films, at that! - and photographs.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were people out there who thought that people walked faster and their movements were choppier until the 1930s.

edit on 4-12-2010 by Vanitas because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot

They are watching the opening of the bridge which is why they are all there in the first place.

I'd be more interested in the guy, bottom left, who is holding the sony camcorder.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot

[/quote

Your right that does look a little funny.

And the guy with the glasses seems to be looking at him, almost with a menacing look.

Could the man with the 'sony camcorder' be the timetraveler, possibly a scientist working on the project gone awol...

The guy in the glasses could be the 'agent' sent in after him, either to bring him back or to shut hin up.

Strange what stories you can make from a picture.

Peace

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
What I think is even more disturbing them my view of our history is my view of Russian history.

It seems that I've been showed a totally different version of Russian history, yet the picture could just as easily been taken in the states.

Example of the history propaganda our ruling class ?

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Vanitas

Indeed

I have a pair of Sunglasses from 1918 that I found in an antiques market, they're extremely cool

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

The last link in your post actually talks about the guy, while looking like he is out of time, saying its possible everything he is wearing was available at the time. The glasses, while looking modern, were also around at the time the photo was taken, and the link shows a seperate picture with a female in the same time period wearing the same type of sunglasses.

However the article goes on to state that it cant be ruled out that he might be a time traveller. Either way a pretty cool story. I am curious what other photos are out there.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Alright besides the fact that there is nothing off about that guy except the shades, think about this for a second.

If you had to send someone back in time, why would you send a hipster?

As evidence I present, www.latfh.com...

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
reply to post by Vanitas

Indeed

I have a pair of Sunglasses from 1918 that I found in an antiques market, they're extremely cool

That IS cool!
Being an antique freak myself, I wouldn't mind seeing a photo of them at some point.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

But he is the only person in that photo even wearing sunglasses. Just that much more strange.

No, we won't rehash the clothing. It is something that I bleive looks completely like what you would see today. Your opinion differs. That is cool.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
The person in the photo looks out of place compared to those in the photo,but that is it.

There are thousands of photos of people dressed similarly from this time period.

For some reason people today think people during this time did not have access to sunglasses or welding goggles.

Or had bad haircuts.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join