It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Found a piece of something this morning.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by bluemooone2

"In crystallography, the trigonal crystal system is one of the seven crystal systems, and the rhombohedral lattice system is one of the seven lattice systems. They are often confused with each other: "
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...:Rhombohedral.svg

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
oh no! its the green meteorite...the agency told us about!

well looks like molten glass :S

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Rhadamanthus

Any glass making in the area? We had a big glass factory here in York, Refearn Glass, which closed down when I was a kid, people who I know that worked there had big clumps of glass like that, that they kept when they were laid off, or picked up when the buildings were demolished.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Glad it's being tested. soon we'll know what it is. Lovely piece whatever it is.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Text Looks like Emerald to me-

I've studied some gemology, and your stone shows bubbles inside of bubbles, which is a clue. If I could see if the black spot looks like a rhomboid, and if you could find one (rhomboid) inside a bubble, with also a bubble inside the same bubble, I would be very sure of what you've got there. I don't know where (what state) you found it, but emerald is found in the northeast, but in very small areas. The way it was it is chipped looks like glass, though., I will be eager to hear what it is!

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Sounds like a couple of very very old glass bottles I have; thats how they made glass in those days....the colours arise from the type of firing used to mold the glass.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Someone probably mentioned this but, worlds largest emerald?

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by KilgoreTrout

I don't know any off the top of my head. I will have to ask around.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Mactire

My grandparents had at least one of these from the same source.......a glass factory. When they are moving molten glass around and it spills it collects all kinds of dirty and gets stuff in it. And when they clean up or repair the furnaces, the easiest thing to do is just dump it somewhere. Like aquarium glass chunks, at least the clear ones.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
First you need to figure out how hard it is. Look up the Mohs scale of hardness and you will get the general idea of what you need to do. If it is glass you will be able to make a scratch on it with a piece of quartz. I would try that first. Quartz is easy to find and since it is harder than glass it will scratch it. A stainless steel point should also scratch glass, but will not scratch Emerld or Tourmaline Diamond is the hardest mineral and rated 10 and talc is the softest and rated 1. I have worked with rough Emeralds and I never have seen air bubbles in them, and the same goes with Tourmaline. Hope that helps.

I will go with the majority and say you have a pretty hunk of glass.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
...i know a lady thats been collecting glass paper weights for 60yrs or so and she told me that their value had a lot to do with how many bubbles were trapped... that hunk rhadamanthus found has lots of trapped bubbles... even if its just glass, its a beauty...

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   

That piece is awesome! Wow, how great to find something like that. Its probably lightning glass,
but imagine if it turned out to be a giant Emerald! Beautiful. What state did you find it in may I ask?

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   
my friends father has a small art glass business and he has chunks of glass like that in many colors. someone could of thrown it there or there could of been a glass worker whom used to live on the land. these chunks of glass are used by glass blowers (not sure they're real name) or are the leftover glass from the hobby. nothing paranormal but nice find.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure it's a chunk of recycled glass because of the fractures, the air bubbles, and the swirl pontil like marks.

hardwareaisle.thisoldhouse.com...

www.theasianwelder.com...

Your collection of indian artifacts must be worth a lot of money, because indian artifacts have gone up in price. Don't tell others where your site is, or the archeologists will make it off limits if they find out its in a park.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
One thing that you can do yourself that might help with the research, is to determine the density of it. You can calculate the density by measuring the volume and weight of it. It will not be completely accurate due to the bubbles, but should be close enough to maybe determine its composition.

Measure the volume by dropping it in a beaker (measuring cup) of water and noting its displacement. Then it needs to be weighed. If you don't have a scale, I'm sure that if you asked, someone at your post office or butcher shop can do it.

With those 2 numbers you can calculate the density using, Density = Weight / Volume.

I'm no geologist, but I'm sure there must be a table somewhere that lists various minerals and their density.

Just a guess, but since you mentioned that the field gets plowed regularly, It could be a piece of a glass insulator that has been busted. When the telegraph system became obsolete and was taken down, these insulators were just dropped and left. There were not any litter laws back then. The wire was kept by the company, and the locals claimed the timber, but the insulators were mostly considered trash and left where they lay.

Here is a link with some examples.
railrunner42.tripod.com...

Edited to add: For the density it is easiest to use metric values (grams and milliliters)
edit on 29-10-2010 by J-in-TX because: Forgot a detail

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by J-in-TX

Good point about the insulators!

I forgot all about them until your post reminded me. We had several of them in my house when I was a child.

They were green glass and we used them as door stops.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
does look like glass with all those bubbles and the way its fractured, but wow what a great find anyway.
another way of determining to some degree is what else the area holds as for rocks, crystals/quartz, mica and others, mining maps of mineral fields can also show areas of known deposits and such as well.

it's always a good idea to at least have 2 seperate analysis made even if just for peace of mind.

interesting never the less.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by J-in-TX

I am going to try to get that done today and see.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   

I'm not sure if it will help, but it might. It was just something I thought of that can be easily done.

Here is a table I found just doing a search for "density of gemstones" I didn't see glass listed, but there may be names of natural glass that I have no knowledge of.

www.csgnetwork.com...

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Yeah, my dad used to have a box full of those insulators. Though I believe he has given them all away over the years. He would make lamps from them and give them out as gifts. I remember some of them were quite big and heavy.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join