It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do You Believe It Is Ever Right To Break The Law?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
In principle, laws should not be broken. In practice, i don't care what the law says, since there are so many outright idiotic laws out there. I navigate purely based on my own morals in the society, and break the laws i don't see fit without thinking twice.

A shame really, that our society has gone to this. Calling for common sense and a total rewrite of our laws!

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

I believed in the law once but since laws are ever changing now and contradicting on another I find it confusing to live as an individual and conform to the seemingly navigation system known as the law. The law pushes in one direction then another as if to follow some " Moses" to a promised land that he himself doesnt know where it is.

The Laws of old, like the constitution, were carefully laid out and I feel are the blueprint for any laws to come after. Most amendments to me are "reactions" quick fixes , patches but not upgrades, and are doomed to fail in an ever changing society. The Law can no longer keep up with advances in technology and the Law should be stripped of specifics, broken down, into general concepts of what justice is.... government and law do not mix for this reason.... government governs by law using law and through that relationship encounters many conflicts of interest.....

The people are supposed to create the laws that their elected officials uphold for them.... Nowdays the Governement creates laws without the people's approval because they no longer "trust" the people to govern themselves.... the old days were governed by wise men who could achieve critical THOUGHT, usually old and experienced men, and the foundations of our current society is based on that principal of WISDOM; now you have these fortune 500 ceo politician types who want to merge corporations with countries and govern as if they were managing a corporation.

The Wall Street Presidency is chic now and the media controls the "electoral vote". The Law is nothing and just an obstacle/remnant of a great foundation that would have led to progress in human relations, for these Wall Street Yuppie types. Things like HONOR, RESPECT and etc have no basis in todays world; mainly America.

In Closing.It is not okay to break the law in a fair and just society.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
i'm breaking a few as we speak..
never did care for alot of laws/rules/regulations/restrictions imposed on me by force of arms.
thus i have had some run ins with the law enforcement in the past.
i keep to myself nowdays..trusting that they have more important things to attend to.
we have more inmates than china with 5 times our population.
the police are militarized revenue collectors..with the explosion in prison labor contracts
and private prisons we will always be rounding people up..
welcome to the new world order.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   

When i was a combat diver i asked my Superior the same question. "Is it Ok to break the law", because we broke the law a lot.

He told me there was no law without exceptions. The only law is the objective(s).

This is the law of policy makers. That is why we were told to shut the hell up. They said we will do all the talking for you.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Sorry guys, I've not had time to personally reply to each of your new posts; I've actually had to go and do some work today

But rest assured, Im in the process of reading them all, as I've mentioned previous in the thread; the common theme that's emerging is that essentially people should base their acceptance of the laws upon their personal interpretations and morals.

Very good guys, keep it up

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron
Hello all,

Quite a simple one really guys...

Do you think that it's ever right to break the law? I'm pretty sure the majority of us on here have, at one time or another, broken the law whether that be for some as trivial as littering or something more serious.

Following on from the current on-going thread about the two teenagers having sex below the legal age of consent; that in my opinion isn't breaking the law and how it can be considered a "crime" is beyond me.

I'd be interested in hearings peoples opinions on whether they believe that there could ever be an occasion where they would break the law and simply accept the consequences i.e. for example I think most on here would do anything to protect their children and if they were hurt/harmed they wouldn't have an issue with reacting using physical violence.

Are there any of you on here (I know there are) who believe that the law is absolute and as such should never, ever be broken?

What do you think guys?

Cheers,

what laws to you refer to? there is common law / the golden rule, then there are the laws that may or may not benefit you. it really is simple. if you or your family are starving or thirsty would you "steal" for self preservation? of course you will and anyone who states no is fos. you must first accept that laws are centered around ownership and obedience. be kind and realize that you, nor anyone on this planet owns anything and you are not bound by rules.

consider freedom....anytime you need a document to outline your freedoms....are you truly free?

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Yes, but only if the law is breakin me.
2nd

edit on 9/30/10 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Do you think that it's ever right to break the law?

Yes... I believe if it grow's on the ground who's to tell me I can't smoke it
enough said

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Yes it is and the reason is is that the stupid laws( sorry for the $2 word lol) are well stupid!!! It is now illegal to hurt someones feelings..Point made!!

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
When there are more laws than freedoms then, you best believe it's okay. It's our god-given birth right to be free. Instead we're enslaved from the moment we poke out our lil' infant heads. We never signed on to any of these laws. I don't recall ever making any agreement. But someone did and does that for us. Is THAT right? No. I don't believe so.
For instance, if someone believes in reincarnation then they should have the birth-right not to wear a seat belt

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
The question of right and wrong, and the Law, are totally separate conceptions. While anyone who's not a wealthy corporate investor or politician would better be following the law as much as reason allows, anyone using the Law to tell right from wrong is simply a total slave.

An objective, absolute Law is an outright, total fallacy aimed at only protection the interests of a wealthy elite, or simply maintaining a specific social order that they profiteer from.

Take Oil Dutch/Shell, as an instance, who's been massively using mercenaries to raze farmer's villages in Nigeria to gain full monopoly over the land... this means they ordered the mass murder of hundreds, thousands of armless people while expropriating them (actually the ones who survived these raids). This is more than just outlaw activity, this is deeply criminal. But at the same time, in your country it is, on the other hand, forbidden by the Law to steal gas from Shell gas stations...
This is what the Law is about. Defending the big crooks, and especially their SYSTEM. And submitting the people more and more to a totalitarian regime.

Originally posted by Darkblade71
Well, as a general rule, laws are there to keep the population under control. In that respect, I am all for laws and rules. Without them the world would be a lot worse than it already is and we would all be living like barbarians, taking what we want, and most likely killing without remorse.

Every time I read or hear that argument it just makes me LOL in my beard. "If there wouldn't be any law and Police to enforce it, then we society would be plunged into an endless dark, bloody rule of warlords, gangsters and drug-dealers"... just as if this ain't the world we live in!

edit on 30/9/10 by Echtelion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I Do "believe in the law" because without it,I think things would be "worse" simply because there would be no fear of consequences for actions...this is the only thing that stops many from criminal activity or worse.

Would I ever believe myself to be "right" in breaking the law? Absolutely: mess with anyone I love or threaten my property or self and I will take my chances with "the law" but will totally excercise my "right to defense"and take my chances from there.I do not trust in the law to protect the "innocent" anymore.
Funny: I was have a chat with a friend last night,her husband is a police- detective of 35 years and we were discussing a "hypothetical" situation regarding home-invasion.She told me NEVER to use the phrase,"I think..." or "I thought..." if being questioned for any reason related to this type of crime (which is becoming very common these days in our areas)
"I think" apparentlyopens a HUGE can of worms that might well allow the victim to become the criminal according to her husband.

I am honestly weary of the limp interpretations of the "law" to suit the purposes of either lawyers or criminals these days and feel that many of the original "laws" have pretty much out-served their usefulness and perhaps need to be stricken off the books and replaced with new and applicable "laws..."that actually MEAN something and carry some relevence in today's society.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Yes.

I am a mother. As a mother my responsibility and my love is to protect my child, laws be damned. I even told my husband once: If I ever thought anyone would hurt my kid, I don't care if it is you, your mother, my mother; you can bet I am gonna take you out. If my child is hungry, I will rob a store if I have too. If I thought someone was endangering my child's life, I won't think twice about killing them first. Call it love, call it instinct, call it what you want. But that is the way it is.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Good post nixie!

Your one mean fother mucker

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Of course. And why should I "simply accept the consequences"? Thats has never made any sense to me. If I break the law then why would I lay down for the consequences if I could avoid them?

Hello all,

Quite a simple one really guys...

Do you think that it's ever right to break the law? I'm pretty sure the majority of us on here have, at one time or another, broken the law whether that be for some as trivial as littering or something more serious.

Following on from the current on-going thread about the two teenagers having sex below the legal age of consent; that in my opinion isn't breaking the law and how it can be considered a "crime" is beyond me.

Are there any of you on here (I know there are) who believe that the law is absolute and as such should never, ever be broken?

What do you think guys?

Cheers,

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
of course if the law is immoral and unjust. If it was the law to murder your mother, or your wife, or yourself, would you do it just because the law said so? Ridiculous.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I make it a point to break the law daily. But there are many principles that should never be broken, but not because they are laws. Laws are a few guidelines that are necessary and sensible, mixed in with thousands that don't really matter, and some that just legalize the breaking of the few sensible principles by the government.
Make sense?

Also, I'll be honest I didn't read through every post on this thread, but has anyone brought up "give to Caesar what is Caesar's?" This phrase has frustrated me more than anything else I've ever heard quoted from the bible. It means basically obey almost every law no matter how wrong, unless it calls for worship of the state/state gods.

edit on 30-9-2010 by time91 because: add a question...

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   

It seems that laws are often structured around morality. I believe however, that the act of breaking a law is morally neutral.

For example, murder is illegal and largely considered immoral. When one commits murder, the immorality of their action does not stem from the illegality of the crime, but from the immoral nature of the act itself.

Laws and punishment have no effect on stopping immoral behavior. Who here would begin murdering/raping/robbing people if the laws against these acts were abolished?

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyTHSeed

It seems that laws are often structured around morality. I believe however, that the act of breaking a law is morally neutral.

For example, murder is illegal and largely considered immoral. When one commits murder, the immorality of their action does not stem from the illegality of the crime, but from the immoral nature of the act itself.

Laws and punishment have no effect on stopping immoral behavior. Who here would begin murdering/raping/robbing people if the laws against these acts were abolished?

Excellent post.

I agree with exactly what your saying and it roughly translates to the fact that the law simply does not work!

As you said, if the law really worked then it would discourage people from committing crimes such as rape, murder, muggings etc although you do have to take into consideration the people who engage in this sort of behavior because they have the belief that they can get away from it unpunished i.e. not get caught...

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

If i catch someone in the act of raping another person, whether they are my daughter or not, i can kill them and not go to prison. The key is, can I reasonably be expected to be able to retreat while halting the attack.

If it is on my own property, there is barely even any questions asked.

If you cannot do this in the UK, it is a shame.

I believe in some places it is ILLEGAL to NOT help the person who is being attacked/raped. Some would consider one to be just as guilty of it by witnessing it and walking away without fending off the attacker in some way. So, actually, you are reasonably expected to NOT retreat.

As for the general topic, I would agree with those who have been saying that with or without the law you will have people doing immoral, as well as moral, things. The law is just a piece of paper and idea, of which you can decide to follow it or not. The law does not prevent anything, it simply tells you what you "can or cannot" do. However, even with laws against murder and rape, they still happen, and quite a lot at that. People will still murder, rape, speed, and smoke pot... regardless if the law is there or not. It's an individual's decision. The law has no magical force which prevents one from making these decisions, okay buy.

edit on 30-9-2010 by Fangula because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join