It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should A Woman Marry Her Rapist?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Should A Woman Marry her Rapist? (TOI)

You normally don't expect a girl to marry her rapist but in a recent case in West Delhi, a woman wanted to marry the guy who allegedly raped her. This is obviously not a one off case and definitely brings to limelight the existence of an insensitive society that doesn't think twice before putting a girl up for trial, once again.

Read more: Should a woman marry her rapist? - The Times of India timesofindia.indiatimes.com...

I was bouncing around the internet and landed on this dilly of an article.

As an American and as a Female this headline disgusts me. What type of society would have a newspaper that ran such a headline? Yet apparently, this is a real debate and a real "solution" for thesepoor women.

Apparently, in India if a woman is raped she is unclean and no man will marry her, so the question,

Should women marry their rapist?

Is asked in this article.

I think her rapist should be jailed, but can you believe there is a judge who had this to say about the topic?

This March, K G Balakrishnan, the then Chief Justice of India had said, "A woman should be allowed to have a baby out of rape and/or marry the man and drop the rape charge if she so wishes."

Read more: Should a woman marry her rapist? - The Times of India timesofindia.indiatimes.com...

Wow, what a generous offering this judge made to the victim.

This does not even make sense, and it is the type of thing that makes me very glad to live in a civilized country.

How can a country be civilized if they actually consider marrying a rapist a solution to the female's virtue??

Thoughts?

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

edit on 23/9/2010 by Mirthful Me because: BBCode.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
i guess it is a little cheaper than dinner and a movie. quite an ice breaker as well, with that guy at least there are never any awkward moments of silence.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Of course they should marry their rapist. It would be better than being stoned to death or excommunicated frrom the community forever. Only joking there. It dosent matter what we think. It is a different world over there with different rules that the people are accustomed to. We might not like it but what can we do about it? Nothing. Until they start bringing that BS over here theres nothing to be done about it. The women over there obvoiusly dont mind being a rug for the men. Its rediculus IMHO but it not like we can change the way they think now it is?

MOTF!

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I see what's going on here.
why put a guy in jail for a few years when you can legally torture him for the rest of his life.

You know she's going to be bringing that up in every single fight. Remember when you raped me you bastard!

Payback is a B sometimes. And rightly so.

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Yes...

But only so she can set his ass on fire one night, blame it on the lantern falling over, sit through the watered down funeral, and then lay claim to all of his possessions and start over...all the while silently giving the finger to the system she had the unfortunate chance of being raised in.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   

"Apparently, in India if a woman is raped she is unclean and no man will marry her, so the question, "

this is the saddest part. she is not only a victim but a way out for the criminal. double whammy.

hopefully he does indeed meet an untimely death.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by 40luv

It is sad, and I wonder how any civilized country like America, can even do business with and not totally condemn such outrageous customs until they change them.

What can we do to help but raise awareness? And being aware, well, how does it help?

Almost seems hopeless.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   

i agree in regards to spreading awareness, but it seems like anytime a western society comments on their culture, we get rimmed for it.

hard to change the minds of those that don't want anything to do with outside influence. but i guess it goes both ways.

either way, sad indeed.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by facelift

facelift that is quite possibly the best answer yet!

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   

No, of course a woman shouldn't marry her rapist.

But we've seen this sort of thing before... in fact I remember reading it in a best selling book that people claim has an awesome moral code in it... Oh yes that's right:

28 If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, 29 he shall pay the girl's father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry the girl, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.

Source

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I just don't know. It is a disgusting solution.

I never understood the cultures that blame the women when a man holds them down and rapes them... I mean, it is rape... Against their will! How could you even think about blaming the victim? It goes against the meaning of rape!

I wish I had some answers, but I really don't.... The woman's only choice being to marry the rapist, is no choice at all... It is horrible... There is a problem with the society that punishes the woman for being raped, rather than try to heal her and punish the creepo who raped her.....

edit on 23-9-2010 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
What a ridiculous practice!

What amazes me is that the current head of the Judicial system in India (the President) is a woman, and yet there has been little to no change in their systems, in regards to equality.

Does this imply that India does not want change or that the change will come in time from paving stones laid today?

Another thing I find pretty shocking is how rabid vigilantism in India can be over something as small as petty theft, yet when their daughters get raped it's marriage?

Screw that and hand me my pitchfork.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by facelift

Yes...

But only so she can set his ass on fire one night, blame it on the lantern falling over, sit through the watered down funeral, and then lay claim to all of his possessions and start over...all the while silently giving the finger to the system she had the unfortunate chance of being raised in.

That sounds like the kind of justice you would see in a Quentin Tarantino movie... Is it wrong that I love that idea? Maybe... But I do love it.

Sometimes, when society fails you and fails to bring justice... Sometimes it is needed to take justice in your own hands... I am not advocating violence really. But when justice fails to be served, it is our duty to stand up and be heard... Fight the power, so to speak.

edit on 23-9-2010 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
These societal pressures infuriate and sadden me. I hope this isn't too far off topic, but here is a shortened version of a story a woman I used to work with told me...

She was in her late teens in the 70's during the time when the Khmer Rouge were at an all time killing power in Cambodia. She and her family and many others were trying to escape and cross the border. A refugee camp was obviously better than where they were. During this trek, a man (friend of the family) kidnapped her and sent a message to her parents stating he would rape her if they did not allow marriage. The parents had a choice, allow the marriage to go through before the rape or a forced marriage after the rape. Basically. So, the marriage happened first, than the marital rape came next.

Years went by and they came to the US where she first began to learn of the laws meant to protect women from this. She eventually got divorced and re-married a fabulous guy and is now happy. But, this was over the course of 25+ years and took until she came here, to understand that the societal rules and views of women were literally a prison for her. Whether she escaped the Khmer Rouge didn't matter (well, she lived) but the status of women followed her all along the way...

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Many women marry their rapists. The rape only happens in more civilized form, seduced by chocolate and romance - altogether it is very much a same thing.

-v

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by v01i0

Seduction is the same as Rape?

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

By current US laws, yes.

There has been a growing number of "false" and/or "after the fact" rape charges and convictions.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420

Show me the law that says Seduction (i.e. consensual sex) is Rape - not your twisted perception of the law (or) an accusation made later...

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Source

I can find you more if you wish.

Unfortunately, we just have to accept that a certain percentage of the population (both male and female) are liars.

Nothing overly unexpected or shocking about it.

Edit to add.

A lot of "false" accusations occur after consentual sex has occured, that is why when the rape kit is tested they find the man's DNA available.

edit on 23-9-2010 by peck420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   

In essence, when the purpose of seduction is merely to get laid and then abandon your partner. Both serve same function. Of course the method applied is distinct, but if the end is same, what's the difference when there are tears in the end of both actions? I do not regard a seducer much better than the rapist. Yes, there is consent in the seduction, but would the true intentions be well known, the consent would be questionable, no?

And when it comes to the women, their only means of rape is seduction, right?

-v

edit on 23-9-2010 by v01i0 because: 626

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join