It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feeling poor is more common than ever

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Here is a great little article written in my local paper regarding the feelings of many. I thought I would share it with you ATS'ers as it really hit home and I think it will for many others as well. I know many people that are in the same situation that this article writes about.

I post it here in political madness as I believe that neither the Democrats or Republicans nor our President has a fix for this Depression we are in, I know they like to call it a recession but I disagree this is a depression.

Someone in another thread posted about how FDR during the Great Depression had highways and different infrastructure built by the unemployed, I am under the impression after reading about it that it was massive in scale. Things like the Hover Dam where built and many, many more things throughout our country. I wonder why they have not tried to do something like this, if even on a much smaller scale and I have come to the conclusion that they just do not care. Neither party gives a Flying F*** , they would much rather bicker and fight with each other and funnel money to corporations then truly help us, the people out. This truly makes me sick when I think about it.

We need a third party like no other time in history and I truly believe that in this political and economic climate a third party could be born out of nothing, look at the Tea Party it was a Grassroots organization that skyrocketed overnight but unfortunately they let old politics take over. Any how I am rambling on, so enjoy the article and my apologies if this should have been posted elsewhere.

Feeling poor is more common than ever

edit on 21-9-2010 by frimilden because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by frimilden

I can't really afford to give you my two cents on this, but I'm going to anyways.

We don't anymore lawmakers. They are sucking the economy dry and get paid for nothing.
How many laws are there? I got news for you, you will never live long enough to learn the rules of the game, let alone what they are. Yet, we pay more lawmakers to make more laws.

As for the Tea Party, they are just the GOP members who war ... i mean wore their own "good" name out.
Since the laws make justice move like molasses it makes better sense to just change the name of the organization. Just like Black Water Mercinaries Incorporated did when they got into trouble, they just changed their name to Xe, and not even wikipedia has caught up with that change in the past couple years!!!

Tea Party = Republicans

now I'm 2 more cents in debt,
et

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Thanks for posting. Interesting read.

I find this kind of feeling and effect very prevelant today. The realisim of the situation is becoming very aware to alot of people.

The class divide is getting wider every day.

Can we stop it? I personally think its just too late.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Irish Matador

Very prevalent indeed. In my county alone the unemployment rate is 13.9% in my town we have the highest foreclosure rate in the state. I here stories like this daily and it tears me up to know are lawmakers do not care and would rather dish dirt on each other than come together and fix it. If i could vote all these bums out I would.

There was another article I read about 6 months ago that I cannot find now, but the jist of it was that at the rate we are going now it will take 15+ years to get back to pre-depression levels.

@Esoteric Teacher
Yes, simply a re-branding effort. but at first (Ron Paul) it truly was a grassroots orginization that came about do to the mood of the country and I believe it did at that time reflect what many felt and that is why it became so big so quick. it is to bad that when it did get big they took it over because it had the potential to become an actual 3rd party.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   

FDR's reckless spending prolonged the great depression by a decade.

newsroom.ucla.edu...

Reckless government spending destroys economies.

It destroyed Rome.

It destroyed Argentina.

It destroyed Zimbabwe

It destroyed the Soviet Union

And it is about to destroy us.

The government is a criminal organization of looting thieves run by criminal banks and special interest groups. The government provides nothing and takes everything. The government uses force and violence to solve every problem, since taxes require the threat of violence.

The government is evil.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

I am not so sure about that but I am no economist. I will say though that at least he was doing something to try and help, while our lawmakers of today are doing absolutely nothing. That goes for both Dem & Repub and our President.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by frimilden

I am not so sure about that but I am no economist. I will say though that at least he was doing something to try and help, while our lawmakers of today are doing absolutely nothing. That goes for both Dem & Repub and our President.

What are you not sure about?

That FDR prolonged the depression (that's what the economists at UCLA say) or that taxes require the threat of violence?

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Someone in another thread posted about how FDR during the Great Depression had highways and different infrastructure built by the unemployed, I am under the impression after reading about it that it was massive in scale. Things like the Hover Dam where built and many, many more things throughout our country. I wonder why they have not tried to do something like this, if even on a much smaller scale

Because it would add to the deficit, and half the country believes that's only OK if it's for waging war.

We can't be spending money we don't have on something as silly as rebuilding and innovating our country. That money should be used only for destroying other people's countries. /sarcasm

edit on 21-9-2010 by KerbDune because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   

I am not so sure because that article is only two economists view. I have read before that economists are pretty much split on that line of thinking.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Someone in another thread posted about how FDR during the Great Depression had highways and different infrastructure built by the unemployed, I am under the impression after reading about it that it was massive in scale. Things like the Hover Dam where built and many, many more things throughout our country. I wonder why they have not tried to do something like this, if even on a much smaller scale and I have come to the conclusion that they just do not care. Neither party gives a Flying F*** , they would much rather bicker and fight with each other and funnel money to corporations then truly help us, the people out. This truly makes me sick when I think about it.

While it may sound like a great idea to have our President sponsor more Government jobs such as building roads and things of that nature, believe me, that's not what we need. The Government doesn't have any more money to spend. The money they do spend is money they have borrowed from overseas. We are in major debt, and in time of FDR we didn't have the kind of debt we have today. What we need is for our Government to lure back private businesses! When businesses feel like they can grow again, that's when we will see jobs on the rise. Government hand-outs in the form of sponsored projects or welfare, or anything else is like paying a credit card with another credit card. Eventually it will lead us to spiral down all the way to the bottom of the hole.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   

I am not so sure because that article is only two economists view. I have read before that economists are pretty much split on that line of thinking.

Ok, if I were to provide you with dozens of other economists and lectures saying the same thing as these guys, how would you feel?

Here's a few dozen lectures by economists that generally focus on the period of the great depression and the new deal:
fascistsoup.com...

I have entire books and tons of academic papers if you want them.

edit on 21-9-2010 by mnemeth1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
It's not just a feeling for me.

I'm certified bottom-of-the-barrel poor.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by KerbDune

No need to /sarcasm because you are right. There is a great deal in this country that truly think like that unfortunately. They have no qualms about spending massive amounts of money to build the infrastructure or provide healthcare, etc. of foreign countries.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   

No need for that. My first thought after reading your initial post was, huh? I remember reading about how most where split on that, anyhow you provided a good deal of info to look at...thank you. I am always up for more information that will help shed light on issues and FDR and his policies and how they helped or hurt is one I am very interested in.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   

read this:

mises.org...

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
you bet im feeling poor, ive been eating only oatmeal most days for a while now.
its cheap, filling and healthy.
but i hope my circumstances will change in the next few weeks.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   

I grabbed the full pdf...will throw it on the nook and have a read tonight.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing.

Read the article, could not even identify with any of the players. Who has a financial advisor anymore, or the second home, not me or anyone I even know remotely.

I often share this story from my own family to illustrate how TPTB have destroyed the American Dream, and that is exactly what it is today - a dream.

My Grandfather was the Manager of the Osceola, Ar Cotton Gin in the 1930’s. My Grandmother never worked outside of the home. He was able to save from his wages enough money to provide for his own retirement, died in 1954, with no life insurance and my Grandmother never had to worry about money and when she pasted 35 years later still had over $50,000 on hand.

My father took a factory job with DuPont in 1962. Mother never worked outside the home. His wages were enough for us to have a good life, but no extra for savings, but he had a very good Pension Plan which took care of all of my parents needs including medical until they past on.

I followed my father to the factory job at DuPont, laid off in 1984. My wife has worked EVERY DAY OUTSIDE of the home. Started a small construction firm at that time and was doing well until the downturn in 1990. Went into OTR trucking, I now have a small trucking firm which helps pay the bills along with my wife’s income , neither of us have a pension plan, and no extra dollars for retirement savings.

So the Moral of this story is in 1930 America a simple man could earn enough to pay his way until his wife died just from his own hard work.

In 2010 America a simple man along with the second income of his wife can only hope to keep their head above water with no hope of retirement.

What is to become of our Children ?

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by brokedown

What is to become of our Children ?

They are ****ed.

Seriously, I'm not joking.

And forget the children, I am only 34.

This country and its criminal currency system are toast, along with all pensions, savings, and everything else.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   

You are so right.

The only way to turn this around is to go back to what worked and TPTB are blocking that path.

Future looks very bleak for this nation,

But to leave on a positive note it is always darkest before the dawn. And the way I see it it is real dark right now, maybe the dawn is coming.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join