It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sinkhole in Guatemala City

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Wow, Look at the size of this sinkhole..just wow.

This astonishingly unnerving photograph was posted today on the Flickr.com feed of the Guatemalan goverment and shows a seemingly bottomless sinkhole that opened up on Sunday in Guatemala City as a swath of Central America was drenched by tropical storm Agatha. Click here for the high-resolution version, if you dare. The storm only briefly hit tropical storm strength on Saturday as it came ashore from the Pacific Ocean over the weekend, but the death toll had risen to 115 at last count. Here’s a street-level view.

I heard about the image through the Twitter feed of Steve Silberman, a writer for Wired and other magazines. Here’s a lot of background on Florida’s many sinkholes.

President Álvaro Colom’s government has declared a state of public calamity in the Escuintla, Sacatepéquez and Guatemala departments, according to news agencies, in part because the Pacaya volcano near the capital erupted Friday, injuring many people and killing a television reporter.

10:13 p.m. | Updated A separate Guatemala City sinkhole in 2007 swallowed at least three people (hat tip to Jeremy Zilar).

dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com...

[edit on 1-6-2010 by baddmove]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

Yesterday called,
wants its headline back

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
That has to be one of the most chilling pictures I've seen. It was not what I was expecting to see when I clicked the link.

I can't help but think that it looks rather uniform to be a naturally occurring sinkhole. I would have thought that the outer layers would appear to be "collapsing" more, and not a perfectly shaped cylinder.

Frankly, it looks like an entryway to an underground something or other to me.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I'm no expert in geology but that hole looks to be a little too perfectly round. There is no evidence of strata facture at all. It is just a perfectly round tunnel - like something a giant drill would make.

Is this real, photoshopped or what???
I am just unable to wrap my head around it. I have seen dozens of pictures of sinklholes worldwide and they mostly resemble cave ins, show strata fracture and are rarely prefectly round. So what gives with this one?

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

Yea, I was wondering if it was a real photo or a photoshop job,

still, it's a cool pic.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   

already been a thread on this yesterday, but ya that hole is crazy it doesn't look like a natural cave in.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   

CNN called the Guatemala govt. and they confirmed it was real

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by XxRagingxPandaxX

my bad, did'nt notice it had a different headline..

Mods, do your thing..

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Do we have anyone here that knows what they are talking about in the form of sink holes?

I agree that it does look too uniform.

was hanging with a few friends yesterday and saw this on CNN's front page, showed them, and they asked if it was a photoshop from my "crazy conspiracy" site. They didn't believe me until they got on cnn.com for themselves.

This sort of thing happening makes you realize how the earth can just take us out if it feels like it.

On a side note, wasn't there a whole town, or portion of one that was swallowed up during an earthquake? And wasn't that in Meixco, Central, or South America? Could it have something to do with the "Type" of earth they have?

I don't have time to research right now, if I don't hear an answer to that one I'll check it out later on in the day.

Great post OP, I was very curious about this.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
also swallowed a house or two,
it's a neat looking hole though and will take a lot to refill.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Oh that sinkhole looks real to me. On a smaller scale, it looks identical to my neighbors sinkhole.

Theirs is perfectly shaped too. You could fit a large fire truck in it head first and still have room at the top.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Is that they whole they used in 300?

btw. This is SPARTA!

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
look like the hole in alien vs predator the one in antartica

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Wow so it is confirmed as being real!!! Interesting shape but it can still be natural but who knows it can be unatural also, looks deep anyone know how deep it is?

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Wrong movie dudes/dudettes. The rise of the Silver Surfer is here. I wonder if Galactus is coming next! Of course the Fantastic Four will have something to say about this. Flame On!!!!

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Limegreen

WTF what crawled up your butt?
Be nice man. no need for such harshness.
you should apologize for being rude.
mods?

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Just watched HLN. The morning anchor at 10:09am EST stated:

"This is not photoshopped, or a work of George Lucas. This thing is real. This is right from the government." (paraphrased)

CNN Anchor just said the same thing about the hole. Haven't checked Faux News yet, but I'm sure they will say it's a hole to Hell or something like that.
Seems like all the news networks are claiming that this photo "isn't a fake."

Kinda interesting if you ask me. Something at least to think about.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

edit to add: Weatherman on HLN said that this took decades of poor drainage systems to create something like this, and that it was weird that it was almost a perfect circle.

[edit on 1-6-2010 by truthseeker1984]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Heres a link to a youtube video of a similar sinkhole there... as you can see the sinkhole is not perfectly round, it just appears that way from shots taken from above. The ground is actually much more hollowed out underneath.

www.youtube.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join