It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea: The Drumbeats of War Why this time you should pay attention.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   

North Korea: The Drumbeats of War Why this time you should pay attention.

www.globalpost.com

ATLANTA — North Korea recently threatened to “mercilessly destroy” its foes.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   
My thoughts mirrored the articles, second sentence:

"...the terms were similar to threats uttered countless times during and since the 1950-53 Korean War."

Yeah, right!
But there are some big differences. It appears as if North Korea might have scaled down it's goal of dominating the entire peninsula to a more doable goal... jut taking Seoul. This could mean big problems for a number of countries, including S. Korea (of course), the United States and China.

I think they could pull off taking over Seoul. The question then becomes, if N. Korea makes such a move how does S. Korea plan to retaliate and how do they propose to defend their capital? The next question is, will the US intervene? (almost a definite, yes) The third question is, how will China react?

Read the article and let me know what you think ATS.

www.globalpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I think that there might be a pretty good chance that it's gonna lead into a conflict with the North and South Koreas. Kim Il Jong is dying, so of course he would like to see a takeover of the south. He wants to go out with a big bang before he dies.

I read some post on here somewhere that the WW3 will start in May. By all these events tying in together in the Middle East, and all the pacific nations. And in places in Europe.

I could see things building up from the Korea incident and spread like wildfire.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
read the article.

But if the north attacks the south heres how it will play out. Exactly like Iraq war in the 90's. The rest of the world will cry out in rage at north korea.

The UN will help, America will help, Britain will help, Australia will help, Switzerland will remain neutral., Germany, France, wil help, some other European nations will help. Hell Even China will help coming from the north of north korea. I bet even Japan will help

[edit on 29-4-2010 by DaRAGE]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE
read the article.

But if the north attacks the south heres how it will play out. Exactly like Iraq war in the 90's. The rest of the world will cry out in rage at north korea.

The UN will help, America will help, Britain will help, Australia will help, Switzerland will remain neutral., Germany, France, wil help, some other European nations will help. Hell Even China will help coming from the north of north korea. I bet even Japan will help

Guam would have helped but it will most likely have tipped over by then

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE
read the article.

The question is, what kind of help are they lending? It's all about NATO taking over the world to make one world government. Then that's where things get ugly.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Maybe we will see a new series of M.A.S.H. at prime time. Sounds like death throws to me.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Shrukin89

I read some post on here somewhere that the WW3 will start in May. By all these events tying in together in the Middle East, and all the pacific nations. And in places in Europe.

So party like hell this weekend cos' next week is it....

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   

The JoongAng Ilbo article noted that South Korean military officials think North Korea has acquired late-model torpedoes from Iran, in exchange for submarines, and plans to use them to prevent a U.S.-South Korean landing behind the front lines.

Reports increasingly point to a North Korean torpedo as the cause of a mysterious recent explosion that sank a South Korean warship. With defector reports saying the North has trained zealous military men to pilot manned torpedoes in suicide runs, comparisons to imperial Japan are tempting.

For Americans with tens of thousands of troops stationed in South Korea and a commitment to defend the South against renewed attack, 1941 Japan is a troubling precedent of an enemy that by most objective analysis lacked the power to take on the United States but attacked anyhow and hoped to prevail thanks to guile and guts. (The Confederacy with its attack on the union’s Fort Sumter is another such precedent.)

The comparisons to wartime Japan have also received a boost from the recent publication by North Korea propaganda expert B.R. Myers of a fascinating book "The Cleanest Race: How North Koreans See Themselves and Why It Matters."

“The assumption prevails that the worst Pyongyang would ever do is sell nuclear material or expertise to more dangerous forces in the Middle East,” Myers writes. “All the while the military-first regime has been invoking kamikaze slogans last used by imperial Japan in the Pacific War.”

None of this sounds too good for all concerned. That would be the final connection to bring about the first great war of the 21st century.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
North korea will never attack the south , that would be its doom. You don't wage war for fun. Comparison with Japan is american propaganda.

[edit on 29-4-2010 by ickylevel]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Yeah, gotta say the deck is seriously stacked against NK unilaterally taking Seoul on this one... unless everyone in their military has lost their freakin' mind. That would be the end of North Korea - even without the S. Koreans overwhelming technological military advantage... or the U.S. 7th Fleet... or every civilized country in the world bringing the pain.

Seriously, with the economic bubble teetering in China right now, do you honestly think they would tolerate Lil' Kim destabilizing the entire Asian theater because he's having a temper tantrum?

(goes back to worrying about other things)

On next week's episode: Kim announces that he'll "Destroy the universe" with his "Ultimate weapon of chaos" if someone doesn't send him rice and Elvis CDs.

Now someone cue my montage...

[edit on 29-4-2010 by Legion2112]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Legion2112

While I agree an attack is unlikely at this time, the real question is how Kim Jong-Il feels about the situation. He is dying, does he really care what happens after that? How long does he have? By all accounts - not long. So say, he decides to make his move soon and makes good on his threats to use a nuke.

The US has already warned its citizens no help would be coming for several days after a nuclear fallout on US soil. So S.K. will not be receiving immediate aid. I'm sure others will not want to send in troops right away either; while, I doubt N.K. would mind loosing lots of life in order to take over a city they have just blasted. So N.K. can hypothetically take over S.K.'s major city and hold it hostage against the west and its allies. What happens then? Nuke N.K. and damn S.K. to further death? How would this scenario play out?

I'm sure China will be pissed by this action, but again will Lil Kim really care?

[edit on 29-4-2010 by Wolftotem]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Wolftotem

Honestly, I don't think it matters if Kim Jong Il cares or not - his top brass would. Yes, there is a freakish case of cult-of-personality going on in that country, yes, the mainstream citizenry and the lower echelon of the military would fanatically follow any order given them by their esteemed leader - but do you think for a second that said order would be relayed by the top Generals in Pyongyang if it were coming from a weakened leader on his deathbed? Would they knowingly issue this command, ensuring that themselves, their loved ones and their entire country would probably be destroyed, all because their dying leader "didn't care?"

Call it a crisis of conscience, but no experienced military mind, like the ones at the top of the NK military who've been playing cat-and-mouse with the U.S. and S. Korea since the armistice, and typically at the behest of a slightly mad member of the Kim family, would ever let that order see the light of day. This isn't a James Bond flick, no matter how much Kimmy wants it to be one.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Legion2112

Good points. They only way around the top military leaders would be to convince them such a plan would work and not have a detrimental effect on N.K. unless of course, as the article indicates, top military brass already knows and approves such a plan.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Wolftotem

mm sound s lot like some else from the middleast who ended up on a hang man's noose...

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
If North Korea attacks South Korea, it is game over for North. They have no friends and no one likes them. I predict a PLA assault would sweep through the North Korea while US and S Korean forces would defend from the south.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by alchemist2012
Guam would have helped but it will most likely have tipped over by then

OP,

I'm sorry, but I've watched NK make outrageous statements like this before. They have cried wolf too many times, and I don't see anything coming from this. I will sadly eat my words if conflict breaks out there.

Peace.

[edit on 29-4-2010 by broahes]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by broahes

OP,

I'm sorry, but I've watched NK make outrageous statements like this before. They have cried wolf too many times, and I don't see anything coming from this. I will sadly eat my words if conflict breaks out there.

Peace.

[edit on 29-4-2010 by broahes]

Oh, I agree. N.K. is usually full of it. But there is always a small chance that this time the wolf will actually be at the door. So why not explore the "what ifs", even if they are unlikely to happen?

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
What if the Chinese are the one's who torpedoed the South Korean ship, as a way to draw the Korea's into a conflict? wasn't one of their sub's seen recently heading south past Japan? Just a possibility that no one has mentioned as far as I've seen.....

www.ft.com...

[edit on 29-4-2010 by freetree64]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by freetree64

Although highly unlikely.
I suppose anything is possible. That would mean the situation in China with their economic bubble is actually worse than they want to admit. I'll still say it was a nervous trigger happy North Korean skipper. Afterwards both side were like...

OH! Crap.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join