It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New speed cameras trap motorists from space

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   

New speed cameras trap motorists from space

www.telegraph.co.uk

A new type of speed cameras which can use satellites to measure average speed over long distances are being tested in Britain.

The cameras, which combine number plate reading technology with a global positioning satellite receiver, are similar to those used in roadworks.

The AA said it believed the new system could cover a network of streets as opposed to a straight line, and was “probably geared up to zones in residential areas.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
While the article title is misleading, this system is essentially a computer system that calculates the time it takes for a captured license plate to travel between two points. While I can accept, not like, but at least accept helicopter based radar on highways, this is really pushing it for residential neighborhoods. The notion of cutting down on speeding is fine. However, those tapes would have to be logged to backup any court proceedings. If they're being stored, then what else is that data going to be used for? This system has the capability to fully track the motor-based movements of an individual throughout the course of their day. The video will no doubt become evidence in non-speeding related cases.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4/20/2010 by thomasblackraven]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Yes, but just how many motorists are there from space?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by airvicemarshal
Yes, but just how many motorists are there from space?

Again, the OP clearly pointed out that the title was a bit misleading. It's not aimed at traffic from space. It's being able to calculate the speed of drivers on earth from space.

This is a HUGE issue. Now you will get a ticket in the mail saying that a satellite caught you doing 40 in a 35 on April 20th on such and such street when in fact you were at a family members house visiting with them for the week on the other side of the country. But good luck fighting that ticket that can show up at any time.

They are pushing it too far.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
people sure do not appreciate humor on this site.......

i thought that was hilarious....

i also think that satellites monitoring me are 100% creepy and i would wear tinfoil longjohns if they worked

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by IandEye

i also think that satellites monitoring me are 100% creepy and i would wear tinfoil longjohns if they worked

The satellites aren't paying you any attention at all. The little GPS receiver on your car is using signals sent from the satellites to calculate your ground speed.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
The Electronic Grid to regulate us and limit us in every conceivable as well as profitable way is being quickly put into place. Incrementally, one piece at a time, always offered as something of benefit and for safety as to not cause too much alarm, by doing too much all at once.

People are going to have to decide quickly if they truly wish to live in this brave new Orwellian world, for the decisions are being rapidly made for you, by those who neither seek consensus, permission or consent before forcing them upon us.

What price to freedom should safety really warrant, what price to profit for the state, do you want to pay for being regulated and monitored relentlessly in every and all things?

Will it take a yoke placed about your neck, and shackles upon your wrists and ankles, to get you to realize that they are in fact yoking and shackling everything else, so they need not alarm you by doing the same?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
wonderful, you'll see, we're all criminals.
if the government watches us closely enough, for long enough, we'll eventually show our true colours.
then they'll punish us.
don't worry, it's for our own good. it hurts them more than it hurts us.

[edit on 20/4/10 by pieman]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   

The system could be used for "main road enforcement for congestion reduction and speed enforcement", and could help to "eliminate rat-runs" and cut speeds outside schools, it added. It could also reduce the need for speed humps.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Oh great-less speed humps...great way to attempt to sell this to the public-just don't mention how the system will be constantly updated to include facial recogntion and probably one day DNA sniffing capability,and is intended to monitor everyones movements,criminal or not.

Remember the blue roadside cameras-they were "sold" to the public as congestion busting technology.
A year or two later they were all of a sudden being used for ANPR(number plate recognition).
And a year or two after that(2010-now)we find out they are now facial recognition as well!!!
Turns out the cops have been storing photos of drivers and passengers up and down the UK with their fancy new blue camera abilities,for the past 6 months!

But don't worry-these satellite sytems will only do all of the above and more in a few years.

Just wait until all these sytems are fully linked up,and retrofitted with hellfire missiles.
Thats when the Gov will turn on their secret AI system to control the whole thing...thereby absolving the loving government of any reponsibility if the whole thing starts getting out of hand.

Sounds crazy right?

So did the idea of being tracked 24/7 by facial recognition,CCTV that barks orders at you,secret goverment databases,electrocution compliance,in a country which claims to be "free", until they all happened.

Nothing to see hear,move along...

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam

Originally posted by IandEye

The satellites aren't paying you any attention at all. The little GPS receiver on your car is using signals sent from the satellites to calculate your ground speed.

ok.......so a tinfoil car then?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by IandEye

Or a spoof signal that shows you just drive around your block a lot.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Is there any bit of Privacy even left in the UK?

Also would a motorist get a ticket for going too fast if there was no traffic and the calculated time would yield a higher speed?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
What a waste of perfectly good technology..

Nuff Said..

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Awesome news. Get rid of the speeders once and for all. I always thought they should have speed controls in cars, which had a gps system, the gps would know the speed limit of the street in which the car was driving, and limit the car to that speed only, no faster. And in case of an emergency, they could call onstar and have them unlock the vechicles speed abilities, only if the excuse to speed is a valid one.

[edit on 20-4-2010 by xxshadowfaxx]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I wonder how well these satellites see through fog or...volcano dust?

There are military sats with that capability,so these will probably end up with similar.

Thats the aim isn't it?
To make the whole country/world into a military grid,where citizens are treated like dogs..or worse.
Face it.The government thinks we are their slaves-keep your heads down,work your bones off to give them 40% in taxes,consume much from the parasite megacorporations,pay more taxes,do not rock the boat or the government will subdue you using violence(lethal if they so wish),you will get no justice from those you elected to represent you.YOU WILL COMPLY.

Now consider these satellites,and the other technologies that are being talked about today-The mind reading computer systems to soon be installed in airports(then streets,then satellites),food that can sterilize,or dumb down the populace with the flick of a gene sequence...
and consider what our benevolent leaders would do,and are planning to do with these and other technologies,and ask yourselves-is this it?

Is there not a better way forward than what the tiny percentage who call themselves the elite have dictated to us?

Why the hell should we have to put up with this $%&£ ?

This used to be a free country,I have abided by its laws,voted,been a part of society...I thought that was worth something once-Now that TPTB wish to make us all their cattle farm I have to wonder-
What has happened to us?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
What would suck also is that the alleged violator would have no way to confirm the reliability of the device(s) used to gather the evidence.

Maybe me a legal way out of this that it is. They wouldn't be able to produce the witness-per say. and verify the devices are acqurate.

Just have to take NASA's word for it......

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxshadowfaxx
Awesome news. Get rid of the speeders once and for all. I always thought they should have speed controls in cars, which had a gps system, the gps would know the speed limit of the street in which the car was driving, and limit the car to that speed only, no faster. And in case of an emergency, they could call onstar and have them unlock the vechicles speed abilities, only if the excuse to speed is a valid one.

[edit on 20-4-2010 by xxshadowfaxx]

Just consider,for a moment that this technology is not intended for speeders-thats the selling point for joe public.
It has,and will be used for,far wider applications that you and I have never had the opportunity to vote for.
You may think its fine to allow the state a free hand in these matters-many citizens of 1930s Germany may disagree IMO.

[edit on 20/4/2010 by Silcone Synapse]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
What would suck also is that the alleged violator would have no way to confirm the reliability of the device(s) used to gather the evidence.

Maybe me a legal way out of this that it is. They wouldn't be able to produce the witness-per say. and verify the devices are acqurate.

Just have to take NASA's word for it......

EXACTLY!!

technology uber alles? infallible electronics?

BS

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
No need to bother with remote satellites when RFID is available. It can detect all the same info based on the tag going through "read" zones of which many already exist. Your phone, car key, passport etc...all have a transponder chip as of now, imagine what is to come...

It's not much different than the custom message reading billboards that show you advertising for your car as you approach them and then change for the next fellow..Mini had a big deal with those for a while..Jeep too I believe..

[edit on 4/20/2010 by LockwithnoKey]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
I wonder how well these satellites see through fog or...volcano dust?

There are military sats with that capability,so these will probably end up with similar.

Thats the aim isn't it?

No. The article was extremely unclear. The satellites don't observe you, nor record you, nor anything else. They're talking about GPS. All the GPS sats do (well, for position info anyway) is transmit the time and ephemeris data. The receiver calculates its position based on the known position of the satellite, and the delay time for the propagation of the signal. The receiver's doing all the work. The satellites don't interact with the receiver.

This system just gets your GPS ground speed and gives you tickets based on the ground speed average being too high over a long stretch.

Now consider these satellites,and the other technologies that are being talked about today-The mind reading computer systems to soon be installed in airports(then streets,then satellites)...

"Mind reading" is probably a misnomer, although it's real dramatic and scary and sells internet site clicks and magazines. Motion analyzer would be more accurate but less dramatic. The idea is that if you're up to something, you tend to skulk. Airports, yes. Streets, meh, satellites, no way.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join