It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eyjafjallajökull Caldera Eruption

page: 74
<< 71  72  73    75  76  77 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by mclinking
Awesome video link. A must see!

www.youtube.com...#

mclinking

Thank you so much for that! Totally amazing! If there was a streaming web cam at that area with sound I would NEVER get anything done, I would waste away here at the computer!

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by berkeleygal

Originally posted by mclinking
Awesome video link. A must see!

www.youtube.com...#

mclinking

Thank you so much for that! Totally amazing! If there was a streaming web cam at that area with sound I would NEVER get anything done, I would waste away here at the computer!

Me too ... it's the first thing I check when I get up in the morning ... and the last thing at night ... totally addictive.

Woody

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Good evening to you all. Here is the official reports of 16 and 17 may:

Eruption in Eyjafjallajökull - Status Report: 17:00 GMT, 16 May 2010
Icelandic Meteorological Office and Institute of Earth Sciences, University of Iceland

Compiled by: Steinunn S. Jakobsdóttir, Sigrún Hreinsdóttir.

Based on: IMO seismic monitoring; IES-IMO GPS monitoring; IMO hydrological data; IMO weather radar measurements, web cameras, ATDnet – UK Met. Offices lightning detection system, NOAA satellite images and web-based ash reports from the public.

Eruption plume:
Height (a.s.l.): Mainly ~ 7 - 9 km / 24,000 - 30,000 ft.
Heading: Southeast and east-southeast. There wind is calm over the volcano, with wind speed ~10 m/sec at height over 7 km / 24,000 ft.
Colour: Grey.
Tephra fallout: Ash fall reported southeast of Eyjafjallajökull, from Skógar to Pétursey on Mýrdalssandur.
Lightning: More than 150 lightning strikes were recorded on the ATDnet during the last 24 hours. From 8 am to 11 am this morning 54 lightning were detected.
Noises: No reports.

Meltwater: Low water discharge at Gígjökull.

Conditions at eruption site: No flight observations, but according to web cameras and instruments there are no major changes.

Seismic tremor: Similar to previous week.

Earthquakes: Three small earthquakes were detected beneath Eyjafjallajökull during the night. They were of shallow, intermediate and deep origin. A few shallow earthquakes occurred around 3 pm.

GPS deformation: Horizontal displacements towards the center of Eyjafjallajökull volcano and subsidence.

Overall assessment: No major changes are seen in the activity. The ash cloud has been of variable height the last days and is higher today than yesterday, influenced by the calm weather. Unusually many lightning have been detected. Presently there are no indications that the eruption is about to
end.

Eruption in Eyjafjallajökull - Status Report: 17:00 GMT, 17 May 2010
Icelandic Meteorological Office and Institute of Earth Sciences, University of Iceland

Compiled by: Sigþrúður Ármannsdóttir, Sigrún Hreinsdóttir, Elín Björk Jónasdóttir, Björn Oddsson, Magnús Tumi Guðmundsson and Bergþóra S. Þorbjarnardóttir.

Based on: IMO seismic monitoring; IES-IMO GPS monitoring; IMO hydrological data; IMO weather radar measurements, web cameras, ATDnet – UK Met. Offices lightning detection system, NOAA satellite images and web-based ash reports from the public.

Eruption plume:
Height (a.s.l.): About 6 – 7 km according to radar, occasionally pulsating to 9 km/27,000ft. Winds around the volcano are slightly increasing, resulting in lower plume height.
Heading: The plum is drifting east.
Colour: Dark-gray at 6 km (seen on webcam).
Tephra fallout: Ash has fallen in the Gnúpverjahreppur area, on the road to Stultartangi Power Station and in the Biskupstungur area (very fineparticled and gray).
Lightning: Constant lightning (up to 10 flashes per hour) has been detected.
Noises: In Hafnarfjörður.

Meltwater:
Low water discharge at Gígjökull.

Conditions at eruption site:
The eruption site has not been visible today. The ash plume rises to 6-7 km and straight up from the site. During a survey on 16 May a considerable amount of ashfall was observed south of Goðasteinn and moved westward later in the day. Frequent lightning was observed followed by thunder.

Seismic tremor:
The volcanic tremor is similar to that of the last few days.

Earthquakes:
Six microeathquakes have been recorded since midnight. Most of them occurred at depths of more than 10 km.

GPS deformation:
Continued horizonal displacements towards the center of Eyjafjallajökull volcano and subsidence.

Overall assessment:
The volcanic activity is explosive, but there are indications that it has somewhat lessened since the maximum on 13 May. Considerable ashfall is in the nighbouring communities and is expected to continue. Fluctuations in the strength of the eruption and in ashfall can still be expected.

www2.norvol.hi.is...

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I am obsessed with volcanoes. I have been watching this volcano closely. Many of you have admitted this as well. Well feel better about yourself because your compulsion may be take up too much time but your not risking your life to get a good look. This following clip shows some observors getting a front row seat. Except this 3D thiller comes with vehicle sized lava bombs.

www.maniacworld.com...

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

I would SO be up there with them, given half a chance... hey, what better way to go - squished by a lava bomb the size of a house - great headstone opportunity

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Woops.
It seems I was wrong lol.

Sorry all.

Nid

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Hey Gang,

Don't know if this has been posted already...

Vids and stills by Martin Rietze, the videos are not working (they are in MP4 format?!) but the stills are amazing

www.mrietze.com...

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

Wow, thank for that link. The videos do work by the way. You need quicktime player installed - they work in that.

What I find curious is that the sound on the videos is very similar to the sounds you get when you play an earthquake file.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Um, small problem!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2d262b6832b1.png[/atsimg]

Is this only available in the US or something?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan

Um, small problem!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2d262b6832b1.png[/atsimg]

Is this only available in the US or something?

Hey there PuterMan,

The video's working fine for me and I'm in the UK

Well worth a watch if you can get it working ... there really are some crazy folks around.

Woody

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Good God man, we don't panic, we're British. Stiff upper lip and all that stuff dontcha know!

No problems! I also have a family member working for BA. It saves her going on strike!

By the way the ash if you look at the charts, seems to impact Iceland much less than it does Blighty or Ireland.

Well the sun is not going down over the yardarm yet so can't splice the mainbrace.
(Actually I would not anyway!)

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch

Could you do me a favour if you have downloaded it? (I still can't get it)

Belay that. I have cookies turned off and that was the problem.

[edit on 18/5/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Video clips are working fine in Texas. The people shooting these are just fearless. That would scare me to death. (I'd have already vacated the island by now)

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Good God man, we don't panic, we're British. Stiff upper lip and all that stuff dontcha know!

No problems! I also have a family member working for BA. It saves her going on strike!

By the way the ash if you look at the charts, seems to impact Iceland much less than it does Blighty or Ireland.

Well the sun is not going down over the yardarm yet so can't splice the mainbrace.
(Actually I would not anyway!)

thanks.. I try not to do the stiff upper lip thingy, it's bad enough my American relatives (am 1/8 Cheorkee) think I'm uptight enough as it is
which I gather you also got from my post *throws eyes into the sky* I really need to relax my writing style..

Anyhooo... although the ash impacts the Icelanders less (well the ones not downwind) am sure they don't want the others to go pop.. and the rumblings under Katla and Helka are certainly worth keeping an eye on..

On a positive note, my in-laws have dug out the plans they had to build airships (1960s) that went no where.. could be a resurgence of stealth airship tech with fly by wire traveling at mach 0.000001

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

Wow amazing video. Thanks. I actually felt a little scared watching it let alone being there for real. Truly awesome.

[edit on 18-5-2010 by tarifa37]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
The earthquakes at Bárðarbunga volcano are showing no signs of stopping. This trend which started in the early 90's has been escalenting every year with two magnitude 4 earthquakes already in its caldera this year. More earthquakes have been hitting the volcano today.

Asked about the situation at Bárðarbunga yesterday a Icelandic geologist said: "It will be no laughing matter if Bárðarbunga erupts. It could have devistating consequenses on Iceland and the whole northern hemisphere for a period of time."

Bárðarbunga is capable of a VEI-6 eruption. Its caldera is 12 km in diometers and 700 m deep.

Its last major eruption was about 8000 years ago but geologists say that the time between major eruptions at Bárðarbunga is 5000-8000 years. So its due.

Quakes at Bárðarbunga today: en.vedur.is...

[edit on 18-5-2010 by Gassinc]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Hello there to you all. Here is the official report from 18 may:

Eruption in Eyjafjallajökull - Status Report: 17:00 GMT, 18 May 2010

Compiled by: Sigþrúður Ármannsdóttir, Sigrún Hreinsdóttir, Magnús Tumi Guðmundsson, Theodór Freyr Hervarsson and Matthew J. Roberts.

Eruption plume:
Height (a.s.l.): According to radar observations, the plume has been mostly at 7 km/21,000 ft. South and southwesterly winds (25-35 kt) over the volcano. Near the surface, the wind was easterly, blowing ash from the ground towards west and northwest.
Heading: The plume is drifting northeast.
Colour: Gray (as seen on web cameras).
Tephra fallout: Ash has fallen in the Gnúpverjahreppur area, Hrauneyjar and in the north-east and east part of Iceland (from Laugar in S-Thingeyjarsýsla to Seydisfjordur). Higher aerosol concentrations have been recorded in Reykjavík around midday due to ash drifting over the area.
Lightning: More than 70 lightning strikes from midnight to midday (up to 10 flashes per hour until noon but has deacresed in the afternoon) have been detected.
Noises: No reports.

Meltwater: Low water discharge at Gígjökull.

Conditions at eruption site: No direct observations of the eruption site today. The plume has been mostly steady at 7 km height. The size, height and colour of the plume suggest that conditions are similar to what they have been over the last several days.

Seismic tremor: Volcanic tremor is similar to that of the last few days, although the low frequency has slightly decreased during the last days.

Earthquakes: One microeathquake has been recorded since midnight at a depth of more than 16 km.

GPS deformation: Continued horizonal displacements towards the center of Eyjafjallajökull volcano together with subsidence.

Overall assessment: A powerful explosive eruption is ongoing and theheight of the suggests that the eruption rate is over 200 tonnes/s. Fallout of tephra has been detected mainly to the northeast of the volcano, with recorded fallout on the northeast coast. Some tephra dispersion towards west in the afternoon.

www2.norvol.hi.is...

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Thanks for that most recent report, i actually look forward to them now lol.
No wonder this is my favourite thread.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   
i found this about the hugh ash 200 (TONS) production from the volcano:

Huge ash production at Icelandic volcano, Ice News 18 May.

Some 200 tonnes of new earth are being created by the Eyjafjallajokull eruption in South Iceland every second, according to the Icelandic Met Office and the Earth Sciences Department of the University of Iceland.
Soil/ash production has been particularly high over recent days with ash fall noticeable in a wide area of southern Iceland, and as far away as Reykjavik and Seydisfjordur.
In other news, the volcano and accompanying ash fall have cast uncertainty over hay production for livestock in the region this summer. Even on farms where hay is produced, it is likely extra winter rations will be needed from elsewhere, meaning other farms in Iceland will need to increase their hay production, according to the farming website Naut.is. Farmers in South Iceland worry about the potential cost of extra hay and it is hoped colleagues will be charitable

www.icenews.is...

[edit on 19-5-2010 by ni91ck]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Here some more news and a nice satelite ashcloud animation:

brunnur.vedur.is...

And some more news:

Update on activityEruption in Eyjafjallajökull, Iceland
Assessment - 18 May 2010 18:05
Ash at Seljavellir

Photo: Ari Tryggvason.
According to radar observations, the eruption plume has been mostly at 7 km (21,000 ft) hight. Over the volcano, south and southwesterly winds blow. Near the surface, the wind was easterly, blowing ash from the ground towards west and northwest. The plume is gray and drifting northeast.

Ash has fallen in the Gnúpverjahreppur area, Hrauneyjar and in the northeast and east part of Iceland (from Laugar in S-Þingeyjarsýsla to Seyðisfjörður). Higher aerosol concentrations have been recorded in Reykjavík around midday, due to ash drifting over the area. More than 70 lightning strikes from midnight to midday have been detected.

A powerful explosive eruption is ongoing and the height of the plume suggests that the eruption rate is over 200 tonnes per second. Details in status report issued collectively by the Icelandic Meteorological Office and the Institute of Earth Sciences at 17:00.

Assessment - 17 May 2010 18:05
Ash trail 6 - 17 May

Satellite image (SEVIRI BTD) showing ash from Eyjafjallajökull, see animation. Origin and technique described 7 May (below).
The height (a.s.l.) of the eruption plume is about 6-7 km according to radar, occasionally pulsating to 9 km (27,000 ft). Winds around the volcano are slightly increasing, resulting in lower plume height. The plume is drifting east and is dark-gray.

Ash has fallen in the Gnúpverjahreppur area, on the road to Sultartangi power station and in the Biskupstungur area (very fine particled and gray). Constant lightning has been detected, up to 10 flashes per hour. The ash plume rises straight up from the site.

The volcanic activity is explosive, but there are indications that it has somewhat lessened since the maximum on 13 May. Considerable ashfall is in the nighbouring communities and is expected to continue. Fluctuations in the strength of the eruption and in ashfall can still be expected. Details in status report issued collectively by the Icelandic Meteorological Office and the Institute of Earth Sciences at 17:00.

en.vedur.is...

<< 71  72  73    75  76  77 >>

join