It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eyjafjallajökull Caldera Eruption

page: 71
<< 68  69  70    72  73  74 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
good evening. here the official report from 14 may:

Eruption in Eyjafjallajökull - Status Report: 17:00 GMT, 14 May 2010
Icelandic Meteorological Office and Institute of Earth Sciences, University of Iceland

Compiled by: Steinunn S. Jakobsdóttir.

Based on: IMO seismic monitoring; IES-IMO GPS monitoring; IMO hydrological data; IMO weather radar measurements, web cameras, ATDnet – UK Met. Offices lightning detection system, NOAA satellite images and web-based ash reports from the public.

Eruption plume:
Height (a.s.l.): Mainly ~7 km / 24,000 ft.
Heading: West and later southwest.
Colour: Grey.
Tephra fallout: Ashfall reported from the Vestmanna Islands, Rangárþing east and in Reykjavík.
Lightning: More than 50 lightning strikes were recorded on the ATDnet during the last 24 hours. Between 4 and 5 this morning, 10 lightning were detected.
Noises: No reports.

Meltwater:
Low water discharge at Gígjökull.

Conditions at eruption site:
No reports

Seismic tremor:
Similar to previous days.

Earthquakes:
Three earthquakes were located beneath Eyjafjallajökull, at ~ 7 -8 km depth.

GPS deformation:
Slight horizontal displacements towards the center of Eyjafjallajökull volcano and subsidence.

Overall assessment:
No major changes are seen in the activity. Presently there are no indications that the eruption is about to end.

www2.norvol.hi.is...

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
some more volcanic news from iceland:

Iceland volcanic ash travels higher
Posted on14 May 2010. Tags: ash cloud, Eyjafjallajokull, flights, Iceland, volcano
Volcanic activity at the Eyjafjallajokull eruption in Iceland remains stable, but the gas and ash cloud is higher today than yesterday. The Icelandic Met Office says there are still no signs the eruption is coming to an end.
Four small earthquakes shook the glacier yesterday afternoon, but they did not appear to change the intensity of the volcano.
The volcanic cloud is reaching a height of 6km, which is less than the 9kn height it reached at its peak. “Very gentle winds are over the volcano and there is unstable air flow south of Iceland. These two factors affect the height of the volcanic cloud,” a Met Office spokesman explained.

Ash fall is currently restricted to areas near the volcano in South Iceland but the amount of ash falling suddenly increased last night and police in South Iceland say that the ash fall has not been as great since the volcano’s first days. Visibility was reduced to just two metres in some places

Volcanic ash falls on Reykjavik, citizens fail to notice
Posted on 14 May 2010. Tags: Eyjafjallajokull, Iceland, Reykjavik, volcano

Ash from the Eyjafjallajokull volcanic eruption is now falling on Reykjavik, Iceland’s capital city – including on the Icelandic Met Office. City life is unaffected and people are checking their computer screens and televisions more than the sky.
After massive amounts of ash fall near the volcano last night, during which several families decided to evacuate, the ash moved and started falling on Fljotshlid in much greater quantities than previously. A wide portion of South Iceland was also affected, including the towns of Hella and Hvolsvollur. The ash has now reached Reykjavik
The effects of the ash in the city are minimal and people are reading about it on news websites but not noticing anything unusual when outside. “This is the first I have heard about it so I guess it can´t be that bad,” IceNews’s Russell Harmon said upon returning to the office.

As well as a greater spread, the ash cloud is also reaching higher into the atmosphere – currently up to nine kilometres – which will continue to affect aviation. All domestic flights have been cancelled until further notice and there are delays and alterations to international flights. Passengers are advised to contact their airline.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Are you all watching this?

This is a seriously powerful eruption taking place!

eldgos.mila.is...

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I wish the cloud on the poro cam would clear a little, it look as if it's blocking the best bit!

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Is the Katla webcam working for you? it hasen't worked for almost 12 hours for me!

www.ruv.is...

[edit on 14-5-2010 by Temperature Drop]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
thermal cam looks insane, it's enormous!

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Temperature Drop

not working for me either

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
just saw lightning

eldgos.mila.is...

[edit on 14-5-2010 by berkeleygal]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
No Katla Cam here either. Massive Black Ash Cloud and Completely Crazy Thermal Cam. Looks like the whole thing is unzipping and about to split open!

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Major quake activity!

en.vedur.is...=map

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Wow, that plume is huge!

One question: is that a dog, at the bottom left corner?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/68f1267e3204.png[/atsimg]

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by sandri_90

I can see a horse laying down just left of centre.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Its picking up now. For a moment i thought we had another vent?

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Wobbly Anomaly

Thanks!
The first time I thought it was a goat.
My myopia is playing tricks on me!

On topic: the plume is getting bigger and bigger www.vodafone.is...

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
The thing is, have you noticed the area that steam is coming off? Massive area where the staem is coming from, how hot though? and how close to the surface is the magma?

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
check out the steam from the valley below? It has increased loads. Possible biggy?
eldgos.mila.is...

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I came across this quaint newspaper report from 1822 , apologies if it's been posted before :

volcanism.wordpress.com...

hope the link works !

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
You guys should check out the cam (eldgos.mila.is...) the sun is peaking through the plume, looks really weird!

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by sandri_90

not a dog, just rocks, sure looks like a dog tho.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5e68a299643b.jpg[/atsimg]

The clouds slowly clearing now, were getting some great views on poro' cam.

Ive been busy for a couple of days feels like ive missed so much, eyja' has changed loads.

[edit on 15/5/2010 by Catch_a_Fire]

top topics

<< 68  69  70    72  73  74 >>

join