It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

End of the world Aussie Bloke hoax thread...

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Can someone please help me out here.

I went to the thread that dlk gave us, below and .00377 can't be right can it? Can someone check out the validity on this please. I will be searching as well. If my calculations are right, this particular astroid will be closer to the earth than the moon, which would mean we are in a lot of trouble. Also someone might want to check my math on this one, because this is pretty serious. 1 divided by .00377 equals 262.251; 149,597,871 kilometers divided by 262.251 equals 563,988 kilometers. The moon is 1,533,086 kilometers from the earth.

dlk's information:

HEADS UP 2004 MRI. 21 June 2004 close approach.

HEADS UP RE newly- discovered NEO 2004 MRI. 21 June 2004 close approach. 1.47 ld 0.00377 AU's.
Link is neo.jpl.nasa.gov...
It approaches closer than Itokawa, closer than Toutakis. TOMORROW NOT JUNE 20TH.
I saw this on one of the boards. I went to the NASA Close approaches page and saw this new NEO.

I) 2004 MR1 on the 21st of June, tomorrow, approaches closer
than Itokawa, on 26th June.
II) 2004 MRI also closer than Toukakis.

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 10:13 AM
link   
The information is there neo.jpl.nasa.gov...,
but maybe they made a mistake?

Am I the only one concerned about this? I am really not trying to start anything - frankly I am just a sick of this crap as anyone else, but this is concerning to me.

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 10:18 AM
link   
QUICK QUESTION

2004 MR1 2004-Jun-21 20:36 00:04 1.5/0.0038 1.47/0.00377

The time on nasa site, it is gmt or eastern time zone?

does anyone know

[edit on 21-6-2004 by rbh345]

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 10:18 AM
link   
The moon is almost 400,000 kilometers away, not over a million....

Which means the asteroid will be over 100,000 kilometers away from the moon.

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Yes, it is kind of disconcerting BUT (1) MR1 will be one and a half lunar distances from the earth which is the equivalent of 0.0038AU. and (2) Its not big enough to have as big an impact as Itokawa or Toutatis would have. The actual damage I have no idea of. (3) The big threat in September is called Toutatis after the French Protector God, Toutatis. There are many threads about Toutatis including the Harvard paper on potential to hit.

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I am so sorry - I posted the wrong calculations, obviously, on the distance of the moon to the earth. It was totally un-intential and I apologize. That's what happens when you jump the gun with too many shots of coffee!

It is still going to be pretty close to the moon. We can see the moon pretty well, do you think we will be able to see the astroid? I pray that they are not off on their calculations and we don't witness a game of marbles out there.

I will check out the other one for September; how far in will that one be?

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Toutatis on September 2004 will be 4 Lunar distances away but has a really chaotic orbit. This is the closest it has got in over 600 years. And is big enough to if it collides with earth knock it into a polar shift. However as I said 4 lunar distances is really a great distance away. Yet, there are many discussions online about Toutatis and Fatum ( a name given in the Harvard paper). But lets survive 2004 MR1 first, then Itokawa then we will start worrying about Toutatis.

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Godsent, mistakes happen...no harm, no foul!
But this goes to show that if the original hoaxter knew about this asteroid and it's close approach, it would be all he needed to get everyone stirred up into a frenzy and would keep his hoax alive all the more. It's OVER. Let's call it what it is: An extremely clever charade. Well thought out and worked out in every detail. He knew to post his claims on conspirecy boards cause that is where the people would be that would take his story and run with it. He's obviously in the field of astronomy and a psycology and used his knowledge of human nature and the speed of mass hysteria on the web. You just better hope he has the proper tools to cover his tracks cause I imagine those of you who fell for this (and all you have to do is read the previous threads to see who you are) to the extreme of altering your life in any way would be very pissed off and would be looking for a bit of revenge. Happy hunting!

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 11:18 AM
link   
mpeake: your postings are really angry in nature. What is more imporatnt is that this person knew of some asteroid before NASA either did or were willing to inform us. And still till today there has been no media release on the asteroid? Strange? I think so. In the meantime - Prozac!

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Mynaeris, I'm sorry if i came off angry. Completely not my intention at all! The tone in my mind when I wrote that was mostly aloof, in that it's sort of a dead issue now right? I mean, with all the things that have gone wrong with his theories and calculations (and the fact that June 18-20 came and went and nothing happened), this could and probably should be considered a non issue anymore.

BUT, I totally agree with you that the asteroid passing today (no matter if it's a danger to us) should get a bit more press time. I haven't seen anything on it except what's been posted here on ATS. I have my homepage at work he send my new links from science and space sites all day long and I've yet to see anything on them. Whether or not it's gonna come close to be a danger to us, you'd think that it would be close enough to grace a few major websites headlines.

Either way, I apologize for coming off angry. I don't have any prozac (I'm at least trying to hold off till I'm in my thirties to start using that stuff :lol
but when I get home I have a few beers and relax for ya.

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Again, not to try and cause something - but just curious;

If the astroid that is coming through here tonight/early morning were to hit the moon, would it be big enough to cause a mis-alignment or anything? If it did, what would that do to our tides, etc.?

I gather it is not big enough that we will be able to see it?

Thanks for the info!

Cheers

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 11:48 AM
link   
The REAL danger, folks, is in the "The Sky Is Falling!!!!!!" mentality.

Every time a NEO asteroid approaches, SOMEone will race out here and shriek out some prophecy about the asteroid obliterating us all. It doesn't matter if the object is scheduled to pass at a distance three times the distance of the moon -- someone will still show up to scream doom and gloom.

So why is this a bad thing? Because it turns the board into a realm of hysterics. That's not denying ignorance -- that's promoting ignorance.

There are a number of boards out there that post this kind of thing frequently, and they're not taken seriously by most people. This board is starting to become a significant Internet resource because folks do take time to fact check. If we could hold the hysteria in check, that would help further.

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I hate to disagree with you Byrd. But most of the postings here are of a "the sky is falling mentality", the only real difference is in the case of asteroids and meteors, NEO, and PHA it is a little more literal in nature.

Furthermore with the near hit in March when they were trying to decide what to do if the asteroid 2004 FH did hit. It mecifully passed and we were all safe and could sleep at night, but it did frighten people.

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

With the recent Aussie bloke "hoax" or not, people who were brought to attention are wondering about this asteroid that suddenly appeared out of nowhere , and to a certain extent fits the picture of the AB prediction. Is it any wonder that we should be wondering?

As a therapist I would like you to be a little more lenient in letting people speak about their fears, which in this case is fairly rational.

As a fellow conspirator I would like to ask you to understand that NASA and others not releasing a media release on the discovery of 2004 MR1 has all the makings of of a good conspiracy.

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Well Byrd,

I was under the impression that this was a credible sight for information. Most people at this site are willing to offer some of their expertise, which is what I am asking for. Most people can see through the crap and will not act on it without credible information as well. This thread may have started on a low note, but I for one pay more attention to astroids and other things that I did not before; mostly out of curiousity.

For people who are just curious and wanting information I think this is a great site! As far as being three times the distance from the moon - hmmm. I believe that this particular astroid is only 100,000 miles from the moon isn't it??? Thanks for your keen insite on people, I don't know about other people who post here, but it means so much to me.

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Hello you all.

Every information on 2004MR1 on :
newton.dm.unipi.it...:0;search

(Very interesting site, but without the simulating tool of NASA)

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 07:38 PM
link   
i am interested in knowing what might happen if one of these bad boys smashes into the moon....how might that affect earth? obviously the moon has served as a "bodyguard" for earth many times.

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Well I am not an expert, so I can only guess.
But if it is big enough and hits the moon in a certain angle, I guess it could give the moon a different orbit around the Earth.
Changing tides and God knows what else...

This MR1 thing was discovered on the 18th and happens to flyby extremely close just three days later (now) ...

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a friend told me in a sort of related conversation that the moon is also responsible for keeping the earth tilted on its axis. he also went on to say that the tilt of our axis is partly responsible for life as we know it, for if we werent tilted as such very few places would have life friendly temperatures.

while very intelligent, my friend might be comepletely full of #. someone else may be able to back up or refute what he said.

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 11:16 PM
link   
And nothing happened, only thing that still concerns me is the Navy deployments and the Fed's actions.

Seen no reasonable explanation yet....

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Sorry for the link i gave : dynamic pages ...

The good static one is : 131.114.72.13...

Test the "search" link and yhe "risk page".

We're the 22nd.

new topics

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join