It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can dragons actually exist?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I'm not sure myself if I believe in the notion of dragons, but one Vietnamese New Years, my dad told me out of nowhere "Did you know Apolo 13 encountered a cloud dragon while leaving the atmosphere? That's why it almost failed, because seeing a dragon when it doesn't want to come to earth to be seen is bad luck". Took me by surprise about how random it was.

There's also a spot in Vietnam called the dragon/naga sands translated from Vietnamese which is "Rong duc" where every year at the same time, treads that look like a huge snake like animal is made in coils in the sand, and no one knows where it came from.

I have also had VERY surreal dreams when I sleep about them. I look at a very bright moon in the skies and I see and hear a helicopter pursuing 4 or 5 dragons flying across it. Very weird. It would be neat if they were real.
Have you guys seen the video on youtube where a guy records a "cloud" that zips across the sky and has a dragon form?

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
My favorite dragon story comes from a Christian legend.

Martha, Mary Magdalene and Lazarus were all siblings. They lived in Bethany with some wealth...Martha had a big welcoming home and would host Jesus we he would need to take breaks from his travels. Martha, Mary and Lazarus were JC's best buddies. These were the people he would unwind with and he loved them.

After his resurrection, the trio decided to go out into the world to spread the good news. Martha ended up in France, southern Gaul, telling the locals about Jesus. People heard she was coming and sent word to her. They told her they had dragons in their town tormenting the people and if she was truly a follower of this Jesus, perhaps she might be able to help them. With some distress she worried all night before the day she was to enter the town. And Jesus came to her in a dream and told her not to worry ..she knows what to do. So the next morning she entered the town with the dragons and said "In the Name of Jesus, Satan be gone!" Dragons were never encountered in that region again.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by LeTan

I doubt they exist now. If they existed now we would see them as common as we see UFO's maybe even more common. I think they could exist when dinosaurs were around. But anytime after that would seem a little farfetched.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I most certainly believe that they did exist but where driven to extinction by medieval humans.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Do you have any facts, or evidence, that dragons existed back in the 10th century??? like accounts from ancient writers, historians?? Talking about flying dragons?

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Actually there were many authors that told stories about dragons and most what we call stories now were factual accounts to them. Look at the legend of Beowulf. He is killed by a dragon.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
How do you know that they were fractual accounts??? It sounds like a legend to me.?? Do you have any accounts of just a normal person, or a culture talking about dragons flying around castles?? Or any art work of dragons interacting with people?

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull
Do you have any facts, or evidence, that dragons existed back in the 10th century??? like accounts from ancient writers, historians?? Talking about flying dragons?

Are you directing this question to me?

The best that I can do is this:

divinecosmos.com...

There are good stuff with which you can then search on this topic.

I can say this with certainty: in EVERY single case of a "dragon", a "monster" (like the Loch Ness Monster) or a reported live dinosaur creature being reported is a direct result of a time-traveling dino that had accidentally slipped through a time portal, a stargate, through which the creature had leaped forward millions of years to land in our present time, beit centuries ago or today.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I remember reading a story from some website about the bible and dinosaurs that was trying to show how the last of the dinosaurs only became extinct in the last few hundred years.

One of the stories related was about Beowulf, and the Dragon, and how it was a Tyrannosaurus Rex or that type of Dragon/Dinosaur. Dragons are nothing more than dinosaurs that survived because they could fly, when the world had earthquakes, ice ages and other drastic cataclysmic changes.

The most fascinating story I read there was about a couple who were hiking in the mid-1500's I think, and they were stuck high on a cliff, and they found a cave there. They waited in the cave and two dragons came swooping in and stayed there for a couple days. The hikers obviously found these particular dragons nonthreatening, and as you could likely imagine, there are all kinds, some aggressive, some tamer and more docile....and the hikers climbed on their backs and they flew them somewhere safer, where they were able to get to people and relate their story, at least.

If I find the site I will add it here. I love that stuff.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Historical-Mozart

I was talking to SG lol, but thank you, this is real useful

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
Dragons are my FRIENDS AND YES THEY EXIST lol im crazy right???

To further add these creatures assist the highest born 1 in his return and MANAGE THE ETERNAL FLAME THAT AWAITES HIS ENEMIES SECOND DEATH and feast on all SOUL ENERGY that enters this FLAME REALM reprocessing evil energy within themselves, HENCE BREATHING FLAMES OF EVIL ON EVIL.

Some can even bless their children with these DRAGONS FOR PROTECTION AND GUIDENCE (guardian angels) AS I have blessed mine.

[edit on 10/8/09 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Having seen the show, I will give my interpretation of what it looked like.

Frankly, It looked like a man sized tetradactyl.

The show (animated) showed how it flew as well as how it "breathed fire"

They showed interior chambers in body as well as elements that allowed it.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Hi,

No.
Dragons were made up by the chinese looooong time ago. It represents plasma discharges that they saw in the sky at that time in history.
And that's why they still worship the dragon in Asia.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by PPLwakeUP

If you look at a chinese dragon and the dragon shown in the show, you will see they are clearly two different things.

Chinese dragon is long and has no or very small wings, clearly not big enough to lift it in the air.

It is more snake-like.

Chinese Dragons

The one in the show was more like a flying dinosaur.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Where I live there are many traces that dragons lived in the area. Like the small village "Beesel" in the Netherlands. Every 7 years they have an event called "Draaksteken" which means dragon- puncturing/slaughter. Here's a promotion video of that event:
www.vimeo.com...
This event is in remembrance of Saint Gerorge
This is also Beesel, "de Drakenweg" which means Dragon Road
Dr akenweg
This dragon is on a roundabout just outside Beesel:

And it doesn't stop, about 30 miles from Beesel, across the border in Germany there is a small town called Geldern. The story goes that in 878AD Wichard and Lupold von Pont killed a fire spitting dragon with a spear and the last third sound the dragon made sounded like "Gelre". The city of Gelre ---> Geldern was founded on the spot where the "Niers and Fleuth" (2 small rivers) join each other in remembrance of that victory.

15 miles up the road lies Xanten, the origin of Sirgurd who killed a dragon.

Sigurd agrees to kill Fafnir, who has turned himself into a dragon in order to be better able to guard the gold. Sigurd has Regin make him a sword, which he tests by striking the anvil. The sword shatters, so he has Regin make another. This also shatters. Finally, Sigurd has Regin make a sword out of the fragments that had been left to him by Sigmund. The resulting sword, Gram, cuts through the anvil. To kill Fafnir the dragon, Regin advises him to dig a pit, wait for Fafnir to walk over it, and then stab the dragon. Odin, posing as an old man, advises Sigurd to dig trenches also to drain the blood, and to bathe in it after killing the dragon; bathing in Fafnir's blood confers invulnerability. Sigurd does so and kills Fafnir; Sigurd then bathes in the dragon's blood, which touches all of his body except for one of his shoulders where a leaf was stuck.

And finally, last but not least; The Lindworm or Lind/Lindt/Lint. In Dutch and in German there is also a tree called "Linde" (in English is it called Tilia). If you study maps of the area you'll find that the names Lind/Lindt/Lint/Lings are very common and they don't refer to the trees. There was also once a "Lintfort" roughly translated Dragon Fortress, the remains of it are still visible. 20 Miles, along the Fossa Eugeniana (German) which is a never completed canal between the rivers Rhine and Meuse, lies "Kamp Lintfort".
I think that there is a bit of truth in it, perhaps some leftover dinosaurs, I don't now. But there is something to it.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
To become a Catholic Saint a persons story must have been investigated, recorded and proven. The following are many saints who encountered dragons. It would be very interesting to find the records of the canonizatons of these people to gather evidence about real dragons. I believe they did exist and it was during a period of time when the human experience did not have the foresight to save the evidence, they purged all evidence because of the evil associated with the creatures.

searchwarp.com...

Many other legends of saints include the slaying of dragons. St. Sampson (the Archbishop Of Dol) is told to have led a dragon out of his cave and over a cliff to his death. St. Philip is credited with the slaying of a dragon in Hierapolis in Phygia. St. Martha fell a dragon known as Tarasque at Aix, while St. Romain performed the same feat with the dragon known as La Gargouille.St. Florent, St. Cado, St. Paul, St. Keyne, St. Michael, St. George, St. Clement, St. Margaret, Pope Sylvester, and St. Serf have all been documented as having slain dragons. Two gentler legends find saints Petroc and Carantoc leading dragons off to unpopulated areas, assuring the safety of the villages these dragons had originally overtook.

www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk...

The Dragon and Early Christianity
One pattern that can easily be gleaned from dragon folklore is the early struggle between Paganism - symbolised as a dragon - and Christianity. A carving of a conquered dragon can be found on the font of the church at Avebury, that great temple to ancient religion. Another reflection of this battle can be seen in the early saints penchant for dragon slaying. Saint Sampson of Cornwall is said to have led a dragon from its lair in a moorland cave, to its death over the rugged sea cliff on the peninsula; St Serf is said to have destroyed a dragon living in Dragon Hole in Kinnoul, Perthshire in the 6th century. Other saints dealt with dragons less severely, St Petroc whispered a prayer in to the ear of a Cornish dragon, after which it swam out to sea to new lands; and St Carantoc led another dragon away from its swamp abode to the wild places where few ventured. Even local priests had the power to banish dragons, at Winlatter rocks in Derbyshire, a priest banished a dragon with such force that his footprints were left entrenched in the solid rock. This dragon retired to the Blue John mines where his sulphurous breath warms some of the local springs. The association of dragons with the early Saints and Christianity may be due to the fact that the dragon was often analogous with the Devil in some folk tales, and the relation between dragons and the serpent in the bible would not have been overlooked.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
There was a bbc documentary about how fire breathing dragons *could* exist that would not come to logger heads with science...not that they actually did.I can't recall the name though so forgive me.Supposedly if they munched on a certain type of mineral rock plus some biology involved it was possible for them to do so.Anyway i don't think dragons existed...but no doubt they are tales from real reptiles which through time and hearsay evolved into what we think of dragons.

[edit on 11-10-2009 by Solomons]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I'll say this much, in every description, artwork, etc, no matter what culture, when I look at them, I definatly don't think 'hey that looks like a pteradactyl!"

ptera's look more like leatheyr birds than any dragon to me anyway

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I think it is definitly possible. Maybe not as big as they are portrayed but not small either, with wings ya. I wouldnt think they have magic or fire breath. Oh and I wouldnt think they have crazy colors like yellow or red. Maybe black, green, or blue.

[edit on 19-10-2009 by GhostlyBigfoot]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by GhostlyBigfoot

Like a pterodactyl?

Or anatomically different?

<< 1    3 >>

join