It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

180 Deg Slip/Strike Eq in SoCal???

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Guys have a look at this pic for the map location of CWC and MPM (the second closest seismic station to these earthquakes):

CWC is about 20 Km distant from the earthquakes.
MPM is instead about 50 Km distant.
Let's remember that ground movement amplitude decreases exponentially with distance.

Have a look at this other image:

I have overlayed CWC LHE and LHN channels (as BHE and BHN, but without the smaller ground movements) with MPM BHE and BHN.

Since MPM, relatively to CWC, is on the opposite side, I have flipped vertically the ground movement of CWC. And guess what? Not exactly completely, but overall both stations show the same ground movements (obviously with different amplitudes).

So I don't think that CWC is malfunctioning as it's been said in other posts.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Good movie tie in. Nice work OP. Too bad seismic activity happens pretty much every second of the day in Cali.

People, this is just fear mongering at it's finest.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirakawa

Thanks for the insight...

I could of swore MPM & TIN were showing the same out of phase, but lesser, movements...

quake.usgs.gov...

map 2.0 2009/10/04 12:10:35 38.918N 117.083W 0.0 29 km (18 mi) SSE of Washington, NV
map 1.8 2009/10/04 11:50:20 36.353N 117.864W 1.4 15 km ( 9 mi) ENE of Cartago, CA
map 0.4 2009/10/04 11:24:58 38.828N 122.800W 2.7 3 km ( 2 mi) N of The Geysers, CA

[edit on 10/4/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by skepticantiseptic

The fact that earthquakes are happening is the fact that there's TONS of people living on fault lines. Not because it says so in the bible. If you read any actual textbooks on earthquakes, you would be able to come to the same conclusion.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Just returned from a five day trip to Lone Pine and climb up to the base camp in front of Mt Whitney. I felt all of the earthquakes involved from the trailhead parking lot. I was lying down so I felt every nuance. Being a native Cal, my initial estimate was 3 to 4. No one was alarmed, dogs were calm. This is normal eq activity in the Sierras. Cell phones dont get very good reception in Lone Pine. No mention of it by anyone.
Guess where I skinny-dipped after getting the permit? Where the Owens river meets the dry lake bed the day before the eq at the epicenter!
Now, I have pictures to add in this post. Being my first post, I'll be editing them in later.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

One of our members (who had a near miss on another recent prediction) has called a >7 for the West Coast between Oct 2 and Oct 5.

Will be very intersting if you're both right.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by skem64

earthquake.usgs.gov... f you go to any of the sites USGS offers look up history and you should find it. there is a chart from 2000 to the present on earthquake activity.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Granite

Welcome to ATS!

Thanks for the firsthand report!

Skinny Dipping eh?
Ah to be young again...

map 1.4 2009/10/04 12:55:35 38.794N 122.800W 3.8 1 km ( 0 mi) SE of The Geysers, CA
map 1.6 2009/10/04 12:51:22 36.369N 117.847W 4.0 13 km ( 8 mi) S of Keeler, CA

For the life of me, I wish we knew if these are indeed aftershocks and why so many swarming for so long or if this is an on going concern leading to some other event...

And this is what I'm talking about...at TIN this time from a minute ago...

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
There have been many in Alaska and California lately, all small. I do think something is going to happen.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Double post please delete

[edit on 4-10-2009 by Phlynx]

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Maybe this is a sign of Mt St Helen's or the super volcano giving warnings? There are all really near to those locations.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
And now this down at the end of the West Coast Fault Line...

earthquake.usgs.gov...

4.7 2009/10/04 20:13:35 14.293 -92.317 28.8 OFFSHORE GUATEMALA

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov...

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Are the readings ya'll are looking at near Olancha, because USGS shows a substancial amount of quakes in that area in the last week. Has anyone discovered wether or not the equipment is messed up as suggested earlier? Olancha is right along the east side of the Pacific plate isnt it? With all the action on the West side of the plate, is it not possible that something big could be in the works for the Pacific Plate? Super Quake?

Just asking, dont know anything, trying to learn.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
When you look at the quakes for the last 8-30 days, you see quakes all over the world.

neic.usgs.gov...

Then when you look at the recent quakes, past 7 days, most of them are along one of the pacific rim faults. Is that normal?

neic.usgs.gov...

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by liveandletlive

It's normal for the ~Ring of Fire~ to be active on any given day...

I installed the fault overlays on Google Earth just to see where this swarm fits in...

hazards.cr.usgs.gov...

map 1.4 2009/10/04 13:43:39 35.662N 121.069W 7.8 11 km ( 7 mi) E of San Simeon, CA
map 1.5 2009/10/04 13:20:58 36.088N 117.915W 3.9 6 km ( 4 mi) NNE of Coso Junction, CA

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirakawa

Now why in the world would you overlay a BHN from one station over a BHE from another?

The bottom line is if this was consistent ground movement, and not a station error, both stations would be showing the exact same thing- with the furthest one showing the amplitude to a much lesser degree. But that's not what I am seeing in GEE at all. MPM is off on it's own trip. And CI.TIN, the other BB station in the area, is off on its own unrelated trip too. So honestly I just can't see the correlation you are trying to make.

I used to advocate observing all three channels for each station as opposed to just monitoring BHZ (vertical) channels. But now I only monitor BHZ channels, and have changed my thinking on that.

Reasons are this:

1) If something happens, I can always request the BHE and BHN channels for any station.

2) It saves bandwidth, and allows me to monitor 3 times the stations.

3) Very pertinent to this OP, I have seen so many strange behaviors with BHE and BHN channels, I finally got tired of chasing them all down. I can remember times back when we were doing Yellowstone where I would see 30 and even 50 micron movements sometimes on those channels, with nothing at all on the BHZ channels.

4) If a major slippage were to occur, it would be very unlikely that the movement would register only N/S or E/W. There would almost certainly be a vertical component of some significance that would also register.

All these things have me now just monitoring BHZ channels- and I tell ya- it has really saved me worrying about stuff like this in the OP- all speculation based upon BHE and BHN channel movements. But ok, speculate some more folks, lol, that's what ATS is for.

In closing, I still stand by my original assessment that there is something wrong with CWC. Been there done that too many times, and that is not a natural pattern. If it was MPM would be showing very close to the same on both channels, to a lesser amplitude, if not identical- and so would TIN. And that just not what I am seeing. But fun to disagree.

In general, however, it does seem to me lately that activity has been picking up in CA overall. But as many have pointed out before, Californians just love those little stress-relieving quakes. It's when everything stops for six months to a year that maybe it's time to start worrying.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
hi guys .
i keep this url on my opera speed dial and have noticed lots of activity latley.
Even in the uk yorkshire this last week nothing big more like the 2.3mag.but its a good site to speed dial.

hisz.rsoe.hu....

I have never seen quakes in mid atlantic so high in magnitude since i started to use the web address, i watch it now daily for 6 mth or more, also note active volcanoes

if any place is safe its russia also the swine flu is only 28 in russia and no deaths

[edit on 4-10-2009 by dashar]

[edit on 4-10-2009 by dashar]

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Here is CWC & TIN at roughly the same time...

Are both malfunctioning? Maybe we need to do some inquiries...

2.1 2009/10/04 14:10:51 34.800N 118.920W 12.5 4 km ( 2 mi) SE of Frazier Park, CA

@ TA: I think she said she overlaid E on E and N on N, with just a vert flip to compensate for incoming wave direction...being on opposing sides of the events...

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
A mag of 6 to 7 ????

The area had a mag 7.8 to 8 in 1872.
and is due for another BIG one.

pasadena.wr.usgs.gov...
en.wikipedia.org...
earthquake.usgs.gov...

the best story i like from the great lone pine earthquake in the one.
"Account from Fish Springs
"...Not far off, a horse's hoof protruding from the ground, where a crack had opened and then closed, gave reasonable inference as to where the rest of the animal might be found." (Chalfant, 1933)"

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Pinkarella

Living here for 15+ years I don't remember 1 really bad earthquake. We have maybe had a few little ones but nothing major. It is actually not that bad at all, if anything I hate the dust storms living out here. It is very windy atm but no windy enough to cause a dust storm. We have had storms out here where you cant even see your hand in front of your face because of all the dust. Dusting out here is like every 2 to 3 days and it looks like you have not dusted in weeks. LOTS of dirt. Earthquakes are no biggie here in bishop.

DK

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join