It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Odor Across San Francisco

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by visible_villain

Threads like this are good, it informs people. But where do you draw the line at panic? As posted, there is a correlation between sulfur smells and devistating earthquakes. But when do you press the panic button?

Where does that responsibility lie?

Don't mean to get philisophical, but I thought this thread merited it.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Some eye witness reports at the following link.

www.yelp.com...

Several people checking their shoes for dog poo

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

That my friend is an excellent question! You are also running a risk if you ignore what it "might" mean. Somethings are just no win. I know that for me personally, living on a fault line, I would certainly be alarmed and make preparations just in case...it can't hurt anything. It never hurts to be prepared. Is it possible that one of those huge trash barges it out there somewhere?

[edit on 22-8-2009 by Greenize]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Greenize

That is quite disturbing! It also makes me angry that there is such a lack of respect for living creatures!

Welcome to my nightmare !!

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

True. As someone who can't keep his mouth shut, however,
I'm going to "DIGG" this thread. Maybe make a little noise. I'd rather people be prepared and nothing happens than being ignorant, and worse case happens.

Edit to add: I can't DIGG it. Not on this area. -darn-

[edit on 22-8-2009 by mikerussellus]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by trusername

Quote from your link,

The stench could also be smelled for a time in the financial district.

[edit on 123131p://bSaturday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus

Threads like this are good, it informs people. But where do you draw the line at panic? As posted, there is a correlation between sulfur smells and devistating earthquakes. But when do you press the panic button?

Where does that responsibility lie?

Don't mean to get philisophical, but I thought this thread merited it.

Does a really nasty smell off the west coast mean the 'big one' has arrived ?

Gimme a break, dude ...

If people weren't so handicapped by the flouride in their water, the adjuvants in their vaccines, and the general 'dumbing down' public school programmes, they could figure out event like these on their own ...

As it is ... well ... all I can say is - this always happens at the end of the world ...

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by trusername

Rotten food/egg smell= sulpher. I am very concerned about this area, actually the entire coast all the way up to Seattle, and the Alaskan coast as well.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   

I hope people are smart enough to figure it out on their own, but history has shown that -sigh- they aren't.

If there was a direct correlation between smell and earthquakes, then the kaka would be smacking the rotory oscillators right now.

But indirect?

Who knows. In three days we could all feel real silly worrying about something that didn't happen. But I'd rather feel silly and speak up than "know" and not have said something.

Then again, as said above, I gotta BIIIG mouth!!

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I'm an hour or so north of SF, and there's nothing to be smelled here, so it's definitely a very *local* kind of thing.. I hope everyone there is ok in the event of something bad happening. It seems like anything that's large enough to be smelled through the whole city is large enough to affect the whole city - things like a trash barge wouldn't be big enough, imho.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

I'm with you on this one! Earthquake was the first thing that came to mind when I read the op. I would rather speak up than not in this instance!

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Inannamute

I hope it is something other than an eq! It is possible that somewhere in the vicinity a small fissure has opened up and is the stench is being released. I don't know...I am sure you are correct about the barge.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by visible_villain

Originally posted by mikerussellus

Interesting. But would it be so localized? Something that large they should smell in Seattle. Mebbe?

I have no idea ...

Just remember hearing about this giant mass of plastic gunk a few weeks ago ...

you might have read about it only a week ago .. .but it's been there for decades man. and stories written about it for years.

do people in L.A. smell all the suntan lotion being used on Hawaiian beaches? no.

-

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Here are a couple of scenarios that can generate that smell.

1) Shallow water wells tend to pull up water that is high in noxious chemicals that occur through natural processes. Sulphur Dioxide can result from rotting biomass and accumulates just below the surface in the water table.

Any body pumping out a well or using it to water their golf course?

2) Stess from slipping fault lines can cause a displacement in this water. Could be normal slippage, or strain building up. In the New Madrid quakes, this was likely the source of the smell, as well as the large number of sand blows that spewed up like geysers when it happened.
Once the water is exposed to the air.. well, you get that smell.

3) A refinery may have had the flame go out on a sour gas burnoff stack. Same smell, a bit different source, but caused by the same mechanism. (rotted biomass) The sour gas is a byproduct of oil extraction. (essentially natural gas). Any refinery shutdowns happen nearby lately?

4) A garbage pack several thousand miles out to sea that has been there for decades? Gimme a break.

[edit on 22-8-2009 by RoofMonkey]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

If im right the dominating global air current from new zeland links up with the coast of san francisco so maybe thats why you could smell it too?

As to where its coming from and the source no idea yet but i think i remember a few years back that there was a strong agricultural smell over a certain part of the U.K and it was being blown over the english channel from France it was on the news and all that so we'll prob have this on the news hopefully then we may get a real answer?

just my2cents

peace

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Bingo....

HOUSTON, Aug 21 (Reuters) - Wholesale gasoline spiked 9 cents in the San Francisco Bay market Friday on news of a hydrocracking unit malfunction at Chevron Corp's (CVX.N) 245,271-barrel-per-day (bpd) Bay-area refinery in Richmond, California, said trade sources.

Chevron reported flaring early on Friday morning at the Richmond refinery due to an equipment failure in a notice filed with California pollution regulators. (Reporting by Erwin Seba)

Article

"Flaring" is when they burn off the excess gas.

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 22-8-2009 by RoofMonkey]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Has anyone seen any stories about them fixing the pier at McNears state park? It got rammed really bad with a huge barge from Dutra a couple years ago. They need to pull up almost the whole cement pier and work on rebuilding it. They may have started as the place has not been busy.That would make this smell come up and FAST.
Also the area next to the park where Dutra is needed to be fixed too. If they are working in the water in either of those areas you have a reason for the terrible smell. That smell actually pops up over there at times during the winter when the tides go ballistic through there.
The fiber cables for much of the area are very close in to the pier area too; if they are working on the cables and had to pull them up from their semi submerged state you have the smell also.

oh and:
There was also a minor oil leak from a mored ship in the bay a few days ago. They where trying to raise it above the water line to fix it.
Sometimes if those chem's they use to clean it up mix with algae it can make one terrible smell. As the algae gives off a totally rotten smell when the sun heats it up.

( P.S. sorry if this is out of whack grammar wise am totally out of it tonight. BAD BAD DAY for me and my kids
)

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I lived in Ontario, California a couple years ago and I remember the whole city smelling like that a couple times while I was there. It was HORRIBLE... smelled just like a herd of cattle had taken over the city, lol. I couldn't even stand to be outside. There was an earthquake, but it was just a small one... nothing that was unusual for the area. I can't remember if the smell went away after the quake, but I do know that we all stayed inside as much as possible so we didn't have to breathe the air outside.

[edit on 8/22/2009 by gemineye]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I hope there isn't a big quake. I live in Hawaii and if the entire west coast have a big earthquake, then i am pretty sure there will be a big tsunami here

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Greenize

That is quite disturbing! It also makes me angry that there is such a lack of respect for living creatures!

I know what the hell? That is like genocide of marine mammals. Why?!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join