It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools, the new drug pusher.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 01:53 AM
link   
The difference between a dealer and a pusher is that a dealer sells, a pusher gives out "samples" of a substance to hook people. Dealers are salesmen, pushers are fisherman.

I'm pissed about this. Our youngest girl, 8 yrs. old is ADHD big time, she tires me out just being in a room with her. She's on Ritalin. Her meds have been increased by our pediatrician to deal with her level of need, WITH the schools participation. My wife told me today that the school contacted her asking to send our daughter to a pediatrion, theirs, to discuss our kid. No problem, we will take care of transportation. We are a 1 car family. Our doctor has said that the level that she is at now is the most she should have. The # ing school is not satisfied. The counsellor and an administrator, I don't know which one, VP I believe, want our kid to be reavaluated, by THEIR doctor.

When I was growing up, it was all about keeping the drugs out of the school, NOW we have the school promoting drugs to create zombies, so they can teach. WE BOTH SAID NO, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 02:02 AM
link   
You have every right to decide what you want for your child. Why don't they agree with your family doctor?

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Kathy is EXTREMELY busy, it screws with their day. The funny thing is that the teacher that deals with her the most has no problem. The school has the problem.

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Gee, a school with problems, imagine that. Is there some way to get input from the teacher that doesn't have problems with her to talk with the VP?

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 02:31 AM
link   
School is nothing but an institution to mold minds. They are not students, they are just walking zombies.

Copying, mimicking (sp?), and drugs is what a kid learns nowadays in school.

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illmatic67
School is nothing but an institution to mold minds. They are not students, they are just walking zombies.

Copying, mimicking (sp?), and drugs is what a kid learns nowadays in school.

So, we should be medicating our kids?

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

I don't know where you thought of that question to ask me from what I wrote in my post?

But no, we should not medicate our children.

I hardly take medication myself. When I get sick, I just wait it out until it goes away. Medication should be used only for last resort.

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illmatic67

I don't know where you thought of that question to ask me from what I wrote in my post?

But no, we should not medicate our children.

I hardly take medication myself. When I get sick, I just wait it out until it goes away. Medication should be used only for last resort.

I totally agree with that. You must live in an urban area, I took that the wrong way. We live in a rural area and drugs, while available, are not the norm, especially from the schools, which is why I have a problem.

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Any pattern of using drugs can lead to dependance on other substances in later life also. Not only would you be makling your daughter dependant on the mild amphatemine that ritalin is , you could well be setting up a pattern for drug use in later life.

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by earthtone

Any pattern of using drugs can lead to dependance on other substances in later life also. Not only would you be makling your daughter dependant on the mild amphatemine that ritalin is , you could well be setting up a pattern for drug use in later life.

Exactly. The problem is the the school are promoting this so that it makes their job easier. Why is it that it can only be seen here?

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 03:06 AM
link   
You may want to look at this information here, the artificial additives that are so prevalent in our foods nowadays may be adding to the ADHD problems.

Synthetic Food Coloring and Behavior: a Dose Response Effect in a Double-blind, Placebo-controlled, Repeated Measures Study

Rowe KS, Rowe KJ
Aust Paediatr J 1988 Apr;24

200 ADHD children were included in this 6-week open trial of a diet free of synthetic food coloring. Parents of 150 children reported improvement on the diet, with deterioration on the reintroduction of restricted items. A behavioral inventory, based on parents observations, was devised to classify the children as "suspected reactors".

www.healing-arts.org...

A lot of information on alternative treatments for ADHD:
www.healing-arts.org...

[Edited on 8-5-2004 by AceOfBase]

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Ace of base
There are indeed alternative solutions to ADHD, but to be honest, most people I know who have tried many many things other than ritalin have been unsuccessfull.

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 10:20 AM
link   

When I was growing up, it was all about keeping the drugs out of the school, NOW we have the school promoting drugs to create zombies, so they can teach. WE BOTH SAID NO, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

Good call, Intrepid.

Things have really changed in the past decade or so with regard to medicating children, it seems. And it seems to be going further and further. It seems to be an easy way out in a lot of instances.

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Personally, I have ADHD. Had I not taken ritilin (SP?) and later dexadrine, I never would have learned to hate them and adjust myself so as to convince my parents I was taking it when I did not.

As far as schools pushing drugs, I think they do a phenomenal job in Health class. I watch videos as a freshman and sophmore in highschool that addressed the risks to drugs. Pot was the last thing they talked about, typically. And let me tell you, from all the videos I've seen, pot is the most dangerous drug out there. You hallucinate, you get the shakes, you lose all inhibition, your balls fall off, you lose all your teeth, you get bloody noses, you lose all immune system function, etc.

Well, I bought into that propoganda until I accidently tired pot (had some tobacco, a cousin "made" a foiler boiler (found out he made it the night before afterwards) we smoked the nicotine and got high). After the first time, I started sampling regularly. Why? My balls didn't fall off. Everything the video told me was BS about pot. So what else was it lying about? That was, right there, the point in time I stopped trusting my government and my school. That was also the point in time were I started to question EVERYTHING. You make a statement, I have to verify it by 2 other sources before I'll believe you. Because of drug videos. So yeah, I think the schools are pushing drugs. I haven't tried hard core drungs, but I doubt they're as bad for you as the propoganda machine wants you to believe.

EDIT: Whoop, forgot, if you do pot, you'll also have kids without eyelids, if you have em at all. The seed controversy? The one where they make you sterile? Well, my buds from the 60s and 70s refer to the seeds as charcoal. They keep it going and save you lighter fuel. If this was the mentality then, why the heck were they able to have kids?!?!?! We should have an entire sterile generation!

[Edited on 5-8-2004 by junglejake]

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 11:02 AM
link   
You may find this link helpful.

www.adhdnews.com...

I think you need to arm youself with as much information as possible so you have facts to challenge the school.

Good luck!

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 11:31 AM
link   
To put it bluntly, I'd tell the school to F off. I'm only 20, but I plan on raising a family soon. If one of my kids has ADHD or whatnot I'll only use ritalin as a last resort. A girl in one of my classes did a research paper on ritalin, dexatrin, and other drugs that schools/doctors give to kids with ADHD. Overmedication can lead to severe sideaffects, like depression, and they've even caused children to die.

It's sad that teachers can't take the time to actually try to deal with kids, they just say "take this" so the kid will be zombified. That's crap. This kind of stuff pisses me off. Stick it to the school, man. Don't go along with what they tell you to do. I'm sure your daughter will be fine.

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 11:41 AM
link   

The difference between a dealer and a pusher is that a dealer sells, a pusher gives out "samples" of a substance to hook people. Dealers are salesmen, pushers are fisherman.

I'm pissed about this. Our youngest girl, 8 yrs. old is ADHD big time, she tires me out just being in a room with her. She's on Ritalin. Her meds have been increased by our pediatrician to deal with her level of need, WITH the schools participation. My wife told me today that the school contacted her asking to send our daughter to a pediatrion, theirs, to discuss our kid. No problem, we will take care of transportation. We are a 1 car family. Our doctor has said that the level that she is at now is the most she should have. The # ing school is not satisfied. The counsellor and an administrator, I don't know which one, VP I believe, want our kid to be reavaluated, by THEIR doctor.

You know, your girl's going to a doctor. She's been diagnosed. She's on appropriate medication. Her doctor is unwilling to increase the dosage. Unless they can give you good specific reasons why they think you need a second opinion, I'd say forget it.

Especially as you say her main teacher doesn't seem to have a problem with her.

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
You may want to look at this information here, the artificial additives that are so prevalent in our foods nowadays may be adding to the ADHD problems.

Synthetic Food Coloring and Behavior: a Dose Response Effect in a Double-blind, Placebo-controlled, Repeated Measures Study

Rowe KS, Rowe KJ
Aust Paediatr J 1988 Apr;24

200 ADHD children were included in this 6-week open trial of a diet free of synthetic food coloring. Parents of 150 children reported improvement on the diet, with deterioration on the reintroduction of restricted items. A behavioral inventory, based on parents observations, was devised to classify the children as "suspected reactors".

www.healing-arts.org...

A lot of on information alternative treatments for ADHD:
www.healing-arts.org...

Thank you for those links. I'll look into the nutritional treatment. We started Kathy on Omega3 a couple of weeks ago. It's a fatty acid supliment. With this and the help from this link maybe we can get her off the Ritilin by summer. That would be great.

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Ritalin is nothing more than legal methamphetamine. My young cousin was on the stuff for msot of his childhood. for a while it worked, but then it stopped, and hes all screwed up from taking the crap. His mother never cared, just kept doping him up.

For the short term ritalin is great. It can really help. But in the long term, id suggest looking into other options. Usually, kids grow out of it with proper treatment.

The schools have become drug pushers. School nurses giving you everything from Ibuproferin to steroids. But the school should have no say in what your child takes, its your child. Schools getting entirely too involved in things they shouldnt be.

Maybe its because the teachers are simply assholes who want sedated zombie like kids to indoctrinate. Your daughter is young, and children who are healthy and normal should be high spirited and full of energy. Too many people trying to diminish the energy in children, when we should be harnessing it.

It reminds me of Brave New World. legal state sanctioned dope to numb the mind and sedate the population.

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Intrepid - I only read you original post and am replying to that. ....If anyone else said what I am about to say, I apologize for the repeat.

My husband and I have just completed having our son tested by his school. At first I was ok with their evaluation but then really looked at the results and the graph that was nicely prepared.....I was no longer happy with the results. Our son is not hyperactive like you have described your daughter but he does have a problem with paying attention. He always has. My suggestion is for you NOT to have the schools doctor re-evaluate her but to find your own doctor who will listen to you. There are also now other drugs to help ADHD children. You migh want to think about switching instead of adding more....Just my opinion.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join