It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beast of Bray Road/Michigan Dog Man

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Hey Guy's and Gal's,
Don't know if anyone has put this supposedly old video on ATS before but.....It's supposedly video footage of the Michigan Dog Man. Looks like it may have been shot in the seventies?
Anyways, I guess that it's supposed to be a creature similar to the Beast of Bray Rd. Watch the vid and post your thoughts. I watched the Shawn Hannity clip on the BBR and they mentioned this clip during that show. He stated that this one was never proved a hoax or genuine. Kinda looks like a guy in a hairy suit to me, but I'm no professional when it comes to Cryptozoology. Only difference is that this thing apparently runs on all fours while the BBR, according to witnesses runs/walks on it's hind legs.
www.michigan-dogman.com...

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
It does look like a man in a hairy suit to me as well, which makes me think hoax. Not that I don't believe that the Beast of Bray Road doesn't exist. Just that sometimes to prove something exists, man will sometimes fake things to get his viewpoint across.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
it was concluded that it was infact an olive baboon. give me a few and i will look for the thread or article any one else wanna help out?

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by IchooseFreewill

An Olive Baboon?!?! What the hey!!!!??? I guess it must have escaped from a local zoo or something. Baboon's are extremely dangerous, at least from what I've read. Let me know if you find the thread. I wonder if who ever was filming that escaped with their life.

Thanks for the info.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Dogman
A legend in Michigan, USA, tells of this bizarre wolf-like creature that is said to appear in Northern Michigan on July 7th of the 7th year of each decade. It has been part of local folklore for years, however it is generally believed that the Dogman is nothing more than an urban myth.

This is quoted from UM's own A-Z Glossary. Here's the link.UM's A-Z Glossary
www.unexplained-mysteries.com...

Sightings and stories of the dog man

"Fear gripped Robert Fortney as he shot and killed one of five dogs that lunged at him as he stood on the banks of the Muskegon River in 1938," wrote Sheila Wissner in the Record-Eagle on April 25, 1987. "But fear escalated to cold terror as the only dog that didn't run off reared up on its hind legs and stared at Fortney with slanted, evil eyes and the hint of a grin." Wissner said the man from Cadillac, Michigan, found himself recalling that traumatic incident when he listened to "The Legend." Fortney's encounter took place near Paris, Mecosta County, which lies about halfway between Lake Michigan and Saginaw Bay. Although Fortney said he "wouldn't want to call it a dogman," neither did he know WHAT to call the black canid that fearlessly locked eyeballs with him.

An ending to the tale wasn't reported, but evidently the creature and the human finally backed off from one another, since Fortney lived to tell the tale some forty-nine years later. Wissner also interviewed a history buff from Manistee County, Michigan, which borders Lake Michigan in the northern third of the state. The "buff," Clarence Gillispie, had collected several stories of dogman sightings in that county. Gillispie told Wissner that he heard one story from an old lumberman who had gotten it from two friends of his. Gillispie was able to record the gist of their story.

They had been fishing near Manistee on Claybank Lake one day just as the sun was setting, when an animal swimming toward their boat caught their attention. Taking it to be a coon hound that one of them owned, they ignored it until it got close. It was at that point the two men realized that the "swimmer" had a dog's head and a man's body! The men, very frightened, did the natural thing and began to row away. Fast. But to escape, they first had to emulate former President Jimmy Carter's famous "club the swimming rabbit" maneuver (Carter was also in a boat when "attacked" by a dripping cottontail near the end of his term...who knew rabbits could swim?) and whop the creature a few times with an oar.

Like Carter, they managed to keep it from climbing into the boat with them, and made their escape. The reporter did contact one of these men but he would not talk to her about it, insisting that he didn't know what it was he saw, and that he "didn't want to go into it."

In the weeks that followed April Fool's Day, Cook's song became the most requested title on WTCM radio, bested only by the immortal Ray Stevens Hit, "Would Jesus Wear a Rollex on His TV Show?" Cook said he chose to use the word "dogman" instead of "wolfman" because it sounded more familiar and "homey."

Other dogman sightings occurred in Manistee County and Luther, a small town in northern Michigan.woods of Newspapers around the country picked up the story. Paul Harvey spoke of the Michigan Dog-Man in his news and comments, and people from as far away as Germany clamored for copies of the song. Back in Luther, bartender Cavender told Mencarelli that although a few brave people drove out to the town of Baldwin, they later confessed they were too frightened to leave their cars.

The Dog Man lives on.

A quote from one of the men who investigated the canine break-in at the cabin near Luther was added to the beginning of a new version of The Legend released on CD the year the creature was prophesied to return, 1997. Cook later said that almost simultaneously with the CD's release, strange coincidences began. In Kingsley, Ellsworth, Gaylord and Cross Village, said Cook, farmers began reporting numbers of small livestock snatched and "gone missing" overnight. In 2002, the station issued another CD, this time of their annual broadcast of spooky Halloween stories called The Haunting of Northwest Michigan. This was their fifteenth anniversary edition, and it contained five stories. The first was an expanded version of The Legend, and the other four were well-told ghost tales that were revealed as fiction at the end of the CD. However, the cut containing The Legend was declared to be entirely true.

This is quoted from the Weird Michigan site. Here's a link.Weird Michigan Monsters. There is lots moer info here.
www.weirdmichigan.com...

Cheyenne Dog Men/Dog Soldiers
www.weirdmichigan.com...

a couple more places to view info:
www.beastofbrayroad.com...

[edit on 13-7-2009 by azureskys]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by azureskys

Great and informative reply, keep them coming...I find these types of stories very interesting.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   
What Does a Legend Become, When the Truth Outruns the Fiction?

It began as an April Fool's Day prank, a simple poem set to music, crafted to play on the radio a few times and then disappear.

Then something very strange happened. The joke reversed course. A mysterious, centuries-old Indian legend revealed startling parallels. A French fur trader's diary from 1794 told of an encounter with "loup garou." A letter from 1857 described a creature that stood upright like a man, yet "bore the countenance of a grey wolf."

Then contemporary witnesses came forward by the score, bringing with them photographs, film, audio recordings, and dramatic physical evidence.

The Legend became real.

The Dogman Blog
Tracking the movements of the legendary Michigan dogman

Hannity’s Treatment of the Dogman - Fair and Balanced
July 11th, 2009 It was a pleasant surprise to watch Sean Hannity on FOX last night. They didn’t smirk or ridicule - they simply presented the story of the Wisconsin/Michigan dogman in an objective way. If I had to critique the report, there was a bit too much backdrop of the Hollywood-style werewolf, and they missed the Michigan dogman geography by one peninsula. Otherwise - Fair and Balanced.

To view the report, click here: FOX News - July 10, 2009 - 9:50pm

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 03:34 AM
link   
The Beast of Seven Chutes and Dog-Man of Michigan
August 21, 2008 by David Claerr

Does a Bipedal Carnivore Roam the Northern Forests?
In the forests of Northern Wisconsin, Michigan and East Central Canada, between about 42 to 48 degrees of Latitude, there have been a resurgence of reports of a large, bipedal carnivore, within the past several years. There is a notable resemblance in the descriptions
to a being in the lore of native tribes: the Windigo, a tall, ferocious creature with a wolf-like head on the body of a man or bear. It also fits the descriptions from European legends of the werewolf.

The cryptic creature is reported to have unique characteristics that differ from the appearance of a Saquatch or Bigfoot. Generally smaller and less stocky than a Sasquatch, it is said to be closer to the height of an average man, and the arms and legs are similar in proportion to the human. The hands or fore-paws are said to have long curving, sharp claws. The feet, judged by footprints, are said to be elongated somewhat like the human, but the toes are shorter and configured more like a canine. But the most striking feature, according to the accounts, is the elongated muzzle with large protruding canines and pointed incisors.

Accounts of sightings of the creature are often in conjunction with a fresh kill, usually a deer. Its demeanor is hostile and aggressive, according to reports. The non-human expression is said to be malevolent, and the glaring eyes and snarling grimace are said to provoke a deep sense of dread. The accompanying illustrations by the author are based on purported eyewitness accounts and a detail from a photo taken in a park near, Quebec Canada. "Seven Chutes" refers to the cataracts or waterfalls in the park, which is known by the the French name "Parc de Sept Chutes". In a small area of the larger, complete picture of a waterfall, a strange figure is facing the camera and looking up through the foliage on the embankment. Amazingly, it appears to be cradling a white poodle in its arms.

Read the rest of the article at:
www.associatedcontent.com...

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Oh snap, it's the full length video! I've always been looking for the documentary version with the freaky song, but this is even better. It contains a few scenes that haven't been seen before, like the very beginning.

The Michigan Dogman Gable Film is the biggest mystery on this board so far, seriously. It still hasn't been debunked or even approved as authentic.

EDIT: Omg, it's even better quality!!! That creature looks so authentic that it sends shivers down my spine.

[edit on 13-7-2009 by ZikhaN]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
But what about the Olive Baboon explanation, from the OP? Has anyone else heard them try to explain the Dogman video with that option as well???

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by azureskys

The Beast of Seven Chutes,
Man, I've never heard of that one either. Great photo's, I tried to make out what the creature was holding. That thing must have been totally still and silent for the photographer not to have noticed it.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Having grown up on Bray Road I was going to dismiss it entirely until I noticed that although the Beast of Bray Road and Michigan Dog Man are commonly used interchangeably, the Bray Road in "Beast of Bray Road" isn't the Bray Road in Michigan but the Bray Road in Elkhorn Wisconsin.

As with all good legends, there is a basis of truth...however, over time these legends take a life of their own and it's common for hoaxers to play/prey upon legends.

I think such is definitely the case in some of those photos reputedly portraying this creature.

However, it's not uncommon either for large quadrupedal animals, such as bears, to rear and go bipedal to make themselves look bigger than they really are to intimidate and scare away attackers. This isn't common in pack animals such as wolves, but it is with solitary animals. Just because it has been seen bipedal doesn't mean it is a bipedal animal.

Likewise, there are a lot of things in the wilderness that still defy classification or discovery. It's hard for modern city dwellers to conceive of, but in many parts of the United States wilderness still comprises the majority of our nation. If several new species are discovered every week on small islands such as Madagascar, is it really unreasonable to think that new species could possibly exist undiscovered in modern times on a significantly larger landmass such as North America or even just the United States?

Attributing a recent sighting with an escaped Olive Baboon satiates the desire of the mind to have a conveniently rational explanation, but I think it is also too dismissive. Clearly, this legend has far older roots, with numerous sightings long before one specific incident of an escaped Olive Baboon. It might explain one sighting, but all of them spanning the course of hundreds of years?

Definitely an interesting legend to research. In the least, it is entertaining. I have to confess that my curiosity is piqued.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
never saw the whole video just the ending. It is kindof strange, seems more like an editing of random scenes than a home movie?!

This video is much clearer than the other ones i have seen. That is no man. I don't know what it is, but no man can move like that. Especially wearing a suit that is designed to make you look 800 pounds? 'ish dont think so' -bruno

One part, which was discussed a while ago, is that the beast seems to shape-shift or transform his right side of his body into his left side, to quickly change directions. Its really weird, and its not a guy in a suit. I dont know what it is.. could be a bear, could be a dog-man, could all be BS.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
wow, i have never seen the video so polished. I've seen it hundreds of times, and just watched it another dozen times. That creature is massive, its fast as hell, and it is pissed off. I am very glad I was not on the receiving end of its wrath.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by hikix

I watched the video several times but I didn't notice any movement that looked like shape shifting. I'll watch it again and post if I notice anything. The video I posted is supposed to be the orginal from start to finish and cleaned up by the site owner or someone they know.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by hikix

What do you thing about the other guy's explanation of an Olive Baboon? I guess it could be, but now that I think about that creature looks a lot bigger that a baboon.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Its tough to see, the thing moves so damn fast... and it seemed that way in the unclean versions. maybe i am just seeing things, i have to reexamine. But, after watching the whole video i keep having this voice in the back of my head saying this is staged... from the nice little montage in the beginning, to the cartoonish like face at the end. This is a tough one

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

O.K. I see what you mean. Strangest video of a Crypto I've ever seen. What about the people filming the video. Any word from them or someone who knew them. Did they survive the attack?!

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by skyeyes
reply to post by fraterormus

O.K. I see what you mean. Strangest video of a Crypto I've ever seen. What about the people filming the video. Any word from them or someone who knew them. Did they survive the attack?!

Well the story apparently goes that the camcorder was found in the woods. And, thats about all that is known. Nothing about who the people were or what happened to them

<<   2  3  4 >>

join