It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tsunami Warning Issued For Pacific - After 7.9 Quake in Tonga - Also Live Fiji Webcam - for Tsunami

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by questioningall
reply to post by The time lord

The New Zealand beach one is not on anymore, I have found many of them off, but I have not been looking anymore for others, as I wanted to just watch the Fiji one.

I don't mind, any link will be fine, would like to know what is going on.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
A LIVE Maui Beach webcam here:
www.mauirealestate.net...

I will keep adding webcams

Or question, to you? Should I do a thread and compile webcams around the Pacific for watches as this, with all the different links in it? Or just keep adding them here as I find them?

You tell me.............................

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Necrosis

That is the one linked in the OP already,

That is the webcam we are watching.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
...a 4cm Tsunami on Niue... No need to panic. Good news.

2009-03-19 20:20:35 - Tsunami - Niue

EDIS CODE: TS-20090319-20938-NIU
Date & Time: 2009-03-19 20:20:35 [UTC]
Area: Niue, , Coastal areas,

Not confirmed information!

Description:

Tsunami has been observed in Niue Island on 2009.03.19 at 19:11. Observed wave height was 0.04m (0.1 feet).

Posted:2009-03-19 20:20:35 [UTC]

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Here is a Hawaii webcam from Puako Bay, (South Side of Big Island of Hawaii)

www.jupiterfoundation.org...

This is also a "whale" watch webcam. Whale songs available there too.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
i just looked around it is all over the web...and that horizon sure looks...
i don;t know... how long should it take to arrive?... and why is did the cam stopt turning??

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Necrosis

Some guy zoomed in and there does seem to be long waves coming in but then again each ocean space may behave differently, but is a bit suspicious keep looking.

Now its scarey a long wall of water it seems is coming in from afar.

Getty scarey looks like a Tsunami is really coming because there seems to be some long waves coming in.
[edit on 19-3-2009 by The time lord]

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
to the left the sky is much more grey(like it is gonna snow) than on the left..or is that just the sun going down??

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
found some great pics of the underwater eruption... don;t know how to put them on here maybe some one could give it a shot...nice pics!!!

www.boston.com...

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
This is actually quite disturbing really, its no hollywood movie this, I can see people on the shore near a boat in front of the cam, and a very long waves are forming from a distance. Hope I am wrong though but it does look suspicious.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
It could be coming in I am sure its a Tsunami now, but just had a look again its probably lowland where the waves crash in in the far distance, it would have reached by now.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
So what does this mean??

Evaluation

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center has cancelled the regional tsunami warning it issued for another part of the pacific. Based on all available data there is no destructive tsunami threat to hawaii and the advisory for hawaii is also cancelled.

However, some coastal areas in Hawaii could experience small non-destructive sea level changes and strong or unusual currents lasting up to several hours. The estimated time such effects might begin is 2:36 pm.

This will be the final message issued for this event unless additional data are received.

kgmb9.com...

(full article)

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by The time lord
It's coming in I am sure its a Tsunami now.

People by the boat left to go ahead of it I think before it comes in.

The water has NOT receded enough from the shore to indicate a tsunami. You are worrying for nothing at the moment.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Story from CNN

www.cnn.com...

The earthquake "generated a small tsunami," but there is "no evidence of destructive waves," said Stewart Weinstein, assistant director of the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Hawaii.

Robert Cessaro, a geophysicist with the center, said: "There's a tsunami in the water, but it's not gonna do much."

On the largest island in the Tonga chain, Tongatapu, in the capital city of Nukualofa, a clerk at the International Dateline Hotel said the earthquake was felt but caused no damage.

At the Fafa Island Resort, off Nukualofa, Joseph Sanladerer told CNN that the earthquake woke up guests and shook wine glasses from racks, but caused no significant damage.

The tsunami center issued the regional tsunami warning for parts of the Pacific near the quake's epicenter, about 213 kilometers (132 miles) south-southeast of Nuku'alofa, Tonga. The quake struck at 6:17 a.m. local time (6:17 p.m. GMT).

At a depth of just 6.2 miles (10 km), it is considered a shallow earthquake. Typically, the shallower the quake, the more destructive potential it carries. But that is not always the case.

The USGS recorded the quake as 7.9 magnitude; the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said it was 7.7. There were no immediate reports of damage or death.

The earthquake struck a few hours after a volcano erupted off Tongatapu, Tonga, about 200 km away.

Ken Hudnut, a geophysicist at the U.S. Geological Survey in Pasadena, California, said: "The association with the volcanic activity seems to be an interesting added dimension to this. It's not clear at this point that there is a direct association, but it seems suggestive at this point."

The Indo-Australian geologic plate goes underneath the Pacific plate there, making earthquakes fairly common events in the area, called the Tonga Kermadec trench, he said.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
A 5.2M quake just hit (aftershock - I guess) in the same place

MAG UTC DATE-TIME
y/m/d h:m:s LAT
deg LON
deg DEPTH
km Region
MAP 5.2 2009/03/19 20:33:59 -23.307 -174.704 35.0 TONGA REGION
MAP 7.9 2009/03/19 18:17:38 -23.015 -174.782 10.0 TONGA REGION

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
in the same place.... you joking me?? and that is all it said??
hm thats strange... who says this is the end of it...one would start to wonder..

i see a boat full off people going out to sea...?(22.20)
the savest place to be right now??

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
About this webcam link:
www.fijiwebcam.com...

I thought it was just waves at first when the webcam was zooming in, it makes sense now that the far distant waves were crashing into shallow land on the horizon since all the water in that region seems to be shallow. It does have that effect of the last major Tsunami where the wall of water built up on the horizon but now realise that is not the case here but looks similar in nature.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

Theres just been another Quake less than an hour ago in the same spot.A 5.2.Australia hasnt issued a tsunami warning yet and were alot closer.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by The time lord

I agree, when I first saw them zoom in on the waves, right after I started watching it, I thought they were zooming in on big waves coming in.

Well, we have the cam, incase more shake, rattle and roll happens in Tonga.

They have the big volcano explosion yesterday, and today the EQ. Let's see what tomorrow brings, or even later today.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join