It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tsunami Warning Issued For Pacific - After 7.9 Quake in Tonga - Also Live Fiji Webcam - for Tsunami

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
i have relatives on maui. hope it skirts them
there.

if it does anything like in 1700, god help coastal town

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I have found some more webcams around the area, but right now, I will just give you the link to the "main webcam page" , because I want to watch the Fiji cam, instead just doing searches right now,

link to lots of webcams: www.camscape.com...

Have fun, and bookmark the site, you can always go back and watch other areas of the world.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
No I'm not blind but thanks for the concern.

As I said, there is NO tsunami warning for Hawaii. Are you blind?

another line
!

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bombeni

another line
!

Is it really necessary to be that rude?

You are correct, there is no warning for Hawaii. However, there is a warning for much of the South Pacific. I think that's where the confusion is happening here.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I find it interesting that people are on the dock there, I wonder if they even know there is a "slight" possiblity that a tsunami could come in.

You would think, people had been made aware of the large Earthquake by there.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweetpeanc

Originally posted by Bombeni

another line
!

Is it really necessary to be that rude?

You are correct, there is no warning for Hawaii. However, there is a warning for much of the South Pacific. I think that's where the confusion is happening here.

Was it really necessary for sweetpeas to be rude to me, simply because I corrected an erroneous thread? Remember the deny ignorance thing? People who have relatives or friends in hawaii may read this and panic. You just added to the confusion as far as I'm concerned.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
The suva camera was just unlocked out of automation. Now it is being controlled manually.

Which makes sense being if a tsunami is headed that way, it would near landfall at about this time.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Pacific Tsunami Warning Canter confirms a Tsunami after a massive quake hits Tonga March 20th, 2009 - 2:46 am ICT by admin - The Pacific Tsunami Warning Canter has issued a bulletin confirmed the occurrence of a Tsunami after a destructive earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 7.9 has struck the Tonga region. “Sea level readings confirm that a Tsunami was generated. This Tsunami may have been destructive along coastlines of the region near the earthquake epicenter. Authorities in the region should take appropriate action in response to this possibility. This center will continue to monitor sea level gauges nearest the region and report if any additional Tsunami wave activity. The warning will not expand to other areas of the pacific unless additional data are received to warrant such an expansion.” Affected regions :-
Tonga
Niue
Kermadec Is
American Samoa
Samoa
Wallis-Futuna
link

Doesn't look like Fiji is of concern.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by questioningall
I find it interesting that people are on the dock there, I wonder if they even know there is a "slight" possiblity that a tsunami could come in.

You would think, people had been made aware of the large Earthquake by there.

Actually, if there was a tsunami coming that way, the best place to be would be in your boat at the dock.

For as soon as you see the water begin to recede from the shore, you best chance of survival would be to head out to sea at that time and let the large waves pass underneath you.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I thought it was a tsunami coming in with those higher waves breaking,

are the waves just getting bigger?

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
You gave us a link but can you link the specific cam please, takes time to find stuff.

Was about to do the same thread my self which with webcam links but you saved me the trouble doing it. Please update us on ATS if you see anything and add your cam link too.

I have doubts anything thing will come of it but you never know.

[edit on 19-3-2009 by The time lord]

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

As with most area of resorts, there is a breakwater out where you see the waves crashing (usually a reef of some sort) that allows you to have calm waters at the shoreline for the "bathers".

Thats why you see the waves crashing in the distance. If and when you see the water recede from the shoreline quickly, that is the first real sign of LARGE WAVES being on the way.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Even if Fiji doesn't get hit I'd expect to see a few larger than normal waves. If was only locally generated I'm wondering if the caldera of that erupting volcano might have collapsed and the sea rushed in causing an underwater exp that showed up as an earthquake.

[edit on 19-3-2009 by Necrosis]

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
6cm waves from this Tsunami that has been generated by the Quake, SO hopefully not too much of a concern and no damage should occur,

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Fuji should have been hit by now. As far as I can tell, no tsunami was created. Phew!

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
National news here in Finland are saying that a tsunami was indeed formed. Although they had no info about the size of it.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by The time lord

The New Zealand beach one is not on anymore, I have found many of them off, but I have not been looking anymore for others, as I wanted to just watch the Fiji one.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ikkuvaljo

BBC are also reporting a tsunami but offer no verification. I think they may have confused the Warming with an actual event? As Asala says, there may in fact have been small tsunami but not one anyone would really notice.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
As said above tsunami was generated but is only 6cm that was quoted from a geologist in the Center,

Ill try and get links if it come up on the net,

The Quake in itself was pretty deep, Its when they are closer to the surface that they cause terrible conciquences,

[edit on 19-3-2009 by asala]

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Yah, it's probably a big story in the Sand Flea Gazette but a 6cm tsunami isn't going to do much damage. Shows how sensitive the equipment must be to be able to detect one that small.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join