It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is the new first family so darn tacky?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Leave those kids alone please.As much as I didnt like Bush I thought it was just plain stupid to go after his kids they way some did.Do you recall they way the GOP went after McCain's daughter?How about that nasty joke McCain made about the Clinton's daughter?Get a real issue why dont you.
6.5% unemployment.Jobs closing.280,000 jobs lost in the last what...two months or so.Russia's threat to put missles on the border of Poland. 1.5 million jobs in the auto industry that could be lost,and the best you could come up with is hairstyles and dresses?

[edit on 9-11-2008 by Tricky63]

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by HypnoAsp
Hmm... I really do not know how to put this without seeming prejudice or superficial.

Mission failed..

I'm not American, but I much prefer a Presidential family which does not get caught up in a fashion race, trying to be good little hypochrites like the rest of the political 'créme de la créme'

I am not an Obama-fan to be honest, personally I was hoping an independant candidate would get a shot at Presidency.. now thére would have been a historical voting record.. the bi-partizan agenda shot to rags.

But to judge them based on their clothes.. dude, I heard that fashion critic who awarded the 'worst dressed of the year' prizes recently died.. maybe a career opportunity for your future ?

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by HypnoAsp

That is a very nasty post due to the fact that you seems very bias.

The new First family is actually very regular looking people just like me.

Their children are very adorable and just like any other children they do not deserve to be exploited and scrutinized just because the father is the President they are nothing but children after all.

The only two first ladies in my time that has gone into the white house with not need of grooming has been Jackelyn Kennedy and Nancy Reagan both of them were ladies of fashion high standards and elegance natural in them.

No every body is born in a life of privilege with social grace been groomed into them since birth.

But just like any other first ladies before Obama wife she will learn to take the Role of first ladie with perfection as she is heading for a spot in the history books double time not only as a presidents wife and first lady but also as the first black America first lady as that.

After all she does have the physical attributes to look like a Jackelyn Kennedy but this time black American.

Pitiful excuse for a thread.

[edit on 9-11-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 07:53 AM
link   
The children have no part in this... they are kids. I remember again the right wing press going on about how ugly they thought Chelsa Clinton was... If I recall correctly mush loosebowels called her a dog.

That is totally unacceptable.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Was this thread really worth your time? The economy is failing miserably and you have the nerve to bring up fashion problems. I guess they should all be like Sarah Palin and purchase $115,000 outfits. Maybe even appoint a fashion adviser using our tax dollars to assure they live up to your expectations.

Then you attack them for not wearing cornrows? Do you not know that not all blacks wear cornrows that its not permanent? Even if so, you don't think the public would insult the family if they were to be more traditional? Obama goes to Kenya and dresses up in traditional African clothing and now he's a Muslim.
I can just see it now if Michelle or the little girls were to show up in cornrows, white America would label the as ghetto and classless. You know how us whites feel threatened by non-whites.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

I remember, and remember Hilary legs and the nasty comments?.

Look at Chelsy now she looks adorable and elegant.

Hilary has come a long way from what she use to look.

I can not wait to see Obama's wife in another year.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

My original point exactly.

When the job requires elegance they will be elegant. End of story.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Oh, for the love of all that is sane......

WTH cares? and i have to tell you, they looked fine to me. What are they supposed to wear, tweed suits and a hard Royal purse a la Queen of England????

If they were parading around in high end clothes you'd be saying that hmmmmm..... stolen money.

Tacky was Lady Bird Johnson
and her daughters

Oh and dont worry, they will get a make over just like Hillary did and just like Barbara Bush and all the residents of the WH.

This is just taking space here, sorry.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I cant believe that this thread has lasted two whole pages..its bad enough that everyones talks about the fact that there black...now it's there clothes..and tommorow what..his taste in music..A THREAD THAT JUSTS WASTES SPACE AND TIME...

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Sigh

The thread isn't about 'tacky' or clothes sense or taste

it's about sour grapes

and it's about 'my side versus your side'

in other words, just more insane American politics-sport

those who didn't want Obama will criticise anything connected with him

those who support Obama will defend all and any criticism of him

children

children

children

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
they are perhaps...built for TV and mass consumption

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover
The children have no part in this... they are kids.

Very true.

The kids are cute as can be and dressed just fine.
The only first kid who had a fashion 'problem' was Amy Carter.
But considering the time period - the clothes then stank
(as did the music and everything else
)
so it's not like they had much of a choice in garments for Amy.

Originally posted by grover
When the job requires elegance they will be elegant. End of story.

Yep. Give 'em time to get into the feel of the situation.
It'll come together.

[edit on 11/9/2008 by FlyersFan]

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I am tired of the suits and which tie is correct.

Politicians, save the taxpayer some money, put on some jeans or khakis and a work shirt, and work on real solutions to problems. This goes for all the suits in the government.

These leaders should get off the high tower and earn our respect by being just another citizen charged with making the decisions in the best interest of our country and join the rest of us who live with those decisions.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by HypnoAsp
Hmm... I really do not know how to put this without seeming prejudice or superficial.

...or tacky. Failed on all three.

I think they're the best looking first family in many years. My husband is CRAZY about Michelle. And the kids are adorable, smart and classy little girls.

Beauty (and ugly, tacky, prejudice) is in the eye of the beholder, my friends...

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   

tacky? Now come on ya all, our last president with three or four shots of him giving the finger, Jenna his daughter with her picture of stepping out of her underpants at a club?

come on now, you really see what you want to see.

Obama and his family social wise have conducted themselves miles above George Bush and his clan.

Love is blind and people stubbornly hold onto their beliefs and refuse to learn at the expense of their pride.

When given a choice many Americans still can't see past the shoot em up mindset and go for the tough guy vs the intellectual.

And it is the intellectuals that will in the end save our arses, not the rough tough cowboys.

Times have changed, the new strenght is in brains not brawn.

[edit on 9-11-2008 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   

And taste is all a matter of individual choice and not really that important of an issue concerning all the other issues going on right now.

Those "tacky dresses" on his daughters looked to be Biscotti Dresses and while Biscotti isn't Rodero Drive expensive it's a long way from Walmart.

The Obamas have shown nothing but decorum thus far.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

Very wise post.

It's not what they wear but how they run things that count.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Well this post was definitely a bust. I must admit I am a bit miffed. I have no idea why there are so many responses demanding me to leave the children alone. I also never called Obama a nerd
. I am really ok with Obama as president. My post clearly states that though I did not vote for him I am proud he won. My post was merely meant to question the fact that the first lady seems to be a bit slack concerning her role. I may have used colorful descriptions such as "crack whore" & "hired help". This was only a description as how I felt she looked. I certainly do not feel that it as a correct description of how she is personally. I am also a bit miffed as to how many replies to this post state that it is so trivial I even brought up the point of the first family's dress. I'm not just talking about a pair of shoes. I am referring to their image on the worlds stage. Image is very important regarding the presidency. It has always been so. As with anything the media covers, one obtains preconceived notions as to how they are portrayed. I'm sorry but this does effect politics on every level. I referenced Camelot, yet it seems not one person posting in this thread understands the reference or how profoundly such an illusion helped our country. I am truly sorry that this post offended so many. It truly was not my intent.

Though I did not vote for him. I was full of hope when Obama won. Now, I'm terrified. It seems when every time the name is brought up in the forums ever ones claws come out and I.Q. points drop. No one is truly listening and merely ready for a fight. I never stated I voted for Mccain. In fact I was so hung on the fence this year I didn't vote. The main reason I did not vote for Obama is I'm terrified he will be assassinated. I do not want Biden running the country. Obama yes, Biden no. I truly hope the reactions every time Obama is brought up in this forum is not indicative as how he as president will effect our country. Can you imagine, our country will be ripped apart.

I am going to cease following my own thread. It has been a horrible experience and I wish it would die. I have no interest in scrapping with my fellow members. I am sorry I ever posted it. I apologize to all I have offended.

~Hyp

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   

you shouldn't apologize to the posters. you should apologize to mrs. obama for likening her to a crack whore and hired help.
you seem to be the only one "concerned" about outward appearances.
i haven't heard any disparaging remarks about the family's attire except, from you.
the family looked appropriate for the evening's event.
maybe you shouldn't be so concerned about fashion and more about policy.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by heather65

Michelle, I apologize.

~Hyp

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join