It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michelle Obama/Jill Biden Interview: I Love You!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I am curious to know if others saw that interview and if so what do you think about the displays of affections so freely expressed between these two women?

It was just one of those magical moments where we spent a week together and after that week, you know Michelle put her arms around me and I put my arms around her and she said, 'I love you' and I said, 'I love you, too,'" Jill recalled. "We just clicked."

omg.yahoo.com...

In addition, the interview included footage of Jill Biden kissing Michelle Obama on the mouth at a rally. I could not find a photo of that but I did find a few photos of “accidental” kisses between Barack Obama and Jill Biden.

Perhaps I am a bit out of touch, but I don’t know any women Biden’s age that commonly say "I love you" or kiss their female friends, male coworkers, or other casual associates on the mouth every chance they get. The behavior seems rather unusual, especially when it is performed in public for the viewing pleasure of millions.

(I hope this post does not violate any of the complicated rules surrounding political topics, I read the rules and this seems to meet the criteria from a factual standpoint, but I have no clue).

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610Perhaps I am a bit out of touch...

Exactly!

Nothing is wrong with people showing affection to one another.

Find yourself somebody and ask them for a hug. Hug them back. Repeat as needed.

And if you already do have someone, now's the time to reconnect.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610
Perhaps I am a bit out of touch, but I don’t know any women Biden’s age that commonly say "I love you" or kiss their female friends, male coworkers, or other casual associates on the mouth every chance they get.

I think it all depends on how a person's raised. I was raised in a very physical and expressive family. We hugged and kissed ALL the time. I still kiss my sister on the mouth (I'm 51 and she's 56). I remember the first time I met my husband's mother. She didn't even hug her son after months of not seeing him! I was appalled! When they parted at the airport, they just SAID "goodbye"!!! No hug, no kiss! It was so strange. To this day, I hug and kiss her, but her own family just waves!

The people you're talking about aren't "casual associates". They have become really good friends and I don't find it strange at all. I think it's cool.

It's interesting to see the different views of it, though.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Areal51

So this behavior seems normal to you? Is that what you are saying? How many platonic casual friends and/or business associates have you kissed ON THE MOUTH in the last few years?

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I think it all depends on how a person's raised. I was raised in a very physical and expressive family. I still kiss my sister on the mouth (I'm 51 and she's 56).

So you grew up in a very physical expressive family and you mention ONE person (a close family member) that you still kiss on the mouth. How many coworkers do you lock lips with? How many of your platonic friends do you kiss on the mouth?

The people you're talking about aren't "casual associates". They have become really good friends and I don't find it strange at all. I think it's cool.

When you are 12 you may make a “new best friend” in a week at summer camp. These two claim they became "BFF" in week’s time to the point of declaring their “love” for each other on national television.

It strikes me as EXTREMELY fake and somewhat creepy.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I'd have to research more how long these two have known each other to form a solid opinion. However, I do have a very close female friend that I have known now for about 17 years. We regularly tell each other "love you"...but that didn't start until about 3 yrs or so into our relationship. We hug everytime we meet/part...but I have never ever thought to kiss her on the lips. The closest we've come is when she attended the birth of my first child we did kiss each other on the cheeks. The lips does seem a bit odd to me personally....

Michelle

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   

How many of your platonic friends do you kiss on the mouth?

I don't think this is a "co-worker" thing. I never kissed co-workers on the mouth because we weren't good friends. And of my good, close friends, I kiss them all. Many on the mouth.

It strikes me as EXTREMELY fake and somewhat creepy.

That's cool. It doesn't strike me as fake or strange. It doesn't strike me at all, in fact.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Michelle129
I'd have to research more how long these two have known each other to form a solid opinion. The lips does seem a bit odd to me personally....

Well it does not seem like the knew each other at all before Biden was chosen as VP, if they had met before it must have been very brief and casual, as the two women did not discuss their "long term friendship" in depth and I would assume if they had met even casually a few times before they would have made a big deal of it.

And to BenevolentHeretic, yes I would consider these people to be very much like coworkers/business associates. They are seeking high level jobs which means they have to see each other on a frequent basis whether they want to or not.

Maybe this is a new political trend and we can expect to start seeing McCain and Palin locking lips, or Cindy McCain swapping spit her new BFF Sarah Palin, but I certainly hope not.

[edit on 28-9-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
It does seem kind of a Brittney Madonna thing. At least they didn't french. It does seem a bit overboard though.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   

So this behavior seems normal to you? Is that what you are saying? How many platonic casual friends and/or business associates have you kissed ON THE MOUTH in the last few years?

I lost count, to be honest. I only kiss my female friends on the mouth and say "I love you". I think saying it to a male would be a bit out of my marriage comfort zone.

Seeing other women do it gives me the feeling of having a connection to them, albeit a small one. In my view, there is nothing wrong with it and it is a great way to express friendship and love.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alora
I lost count, to be honest. I only kiss my female friends on the mouth and say "I love you".

Well the fact this appears to be common practice is certainly news to me! I have lived half my life on the west coast (california) and over a decade on the east coast, and I have NEVER known (straight) women that kiss their female friends or business associates on the lips. It is also exceptionally rare to see male and female "friends" kiss eachother on the lips, especially married people (unless maybe the guy is gay).

If this practice is so amazingly common in parts of the U.S. and I have just never heard of it, I have to wonder why it is not portrayed more often on television or in the movies, I mean it is common to see characters hug each other, but how often do American films or shows have two female characters kissing each other on the mouth in a nonsexual way as an expression of simple friendship? I can't recall ever seeing that either.

I do not buy into this "everyone is doing it" business. If it was common practice among Americans I surely would have seen examples of it in real life, as well as depictions of it in other mediums.

[edit on 28-9-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
It IS strange. Kissing on the lips is NOT normal for co-workers, I don't care what part of the country you live in.

When I'm on the phone with my female friends and family I almost always end the converstion with "love you" I don't do it with my male friends because my husband would not be comfortable with me doing it.

There is absolutly nothing wrong with hugging and even kissing on the cheek. But kissing on the mouth is NOT appropriate ... then again, I don't think the Obama's are exactly 'in touch' with what is and what isn't appropriate. Wasn't it Obama that claimed he didn't know that it was customary to place the hand on the heart during the National Anthem?

IMHO, those that are saying this is 'normal' behavior, are doing what Obama supporters are famous for. Justifying his behavior (or Michelle's behavior) no matter how strange/wrong/inappropriate/hypocritical (the list could go on and on to cover all of Obama's flub-ups) it is. Obama can do no wrong in certain people's eyes and there is nothing that anyone can say/do to change that.

Jemison

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
The words 'clutching' and 'at straws' comes to mind when
reading through the OP.

I'm getting tired of the seemingly infinite politically biaised threads
appearing on here.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   

I don't have Platonic casual friends. Frankly, I find the description a contradiction in terms. But I won't get into that.

When I worked in a record store, employees hugged each other all the time. In greeting and in parting. It was normal. Those who were really close would kiss each other either on the lips or face.

If I'm hugging a business associate, it's a business associate who also happens to be a friend. But sometimes hugs are celebratory. Ever been in a bar, night club, or out in the street in NYC (or any major city) on New Year's Eve? People hug and kiss folks that they don't even know. This happens at major sporting events. Happens at weddings and wedding receptions. It happens when business associates complete successful deals. It happens.

Nearly all of my European friends kiss and hug upon greeting each other and in parting. When I have attended their parties or dinners, folks that I've met for the first time have greeted me the same as if they've known me all their lives.

And most of my American friends also do this.

The other thing is that American male friendships are a whole lot more complicated than most American movies, books, and TV shows dare depict. I don't know why that is, because most American males would know what I'm talking about. Males who are close friends hug each other and say that they love one another all the time. And sometimes in special moments kiss each other on the face. And sometimes even on the lips. There's nothing sexual about it.

It's simply a grand display of affection that we humans have a deep need for. Many understand this and know that it is natural. And those that do are better off for it.

And I have not kept count of how many friends I've kissed on the mouth. Anyway, I would have lost count. What I can tell you is that I typically kiss my females friends on the side of the face, though in special moments like birthdays and other types of celebrations a kiss on the lips can be appropriate. I have only kissed my closest male friends on the mouth, and it has been in rare moments such as when parting for a few years or longer.

Socially, females are allowed to express more affection towards each other than males are. And I think that males suffer a great deal because of it. That's another discussion, but I just wanted to make the point.

An affectionate life is the best life. I wouldn't have it any other way.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

Well the fact this appears to be common practice is certainly news to me!

Me too.

I'm really not sure what to make of it.

Honestly, I found it very surprising you could even find more than one photographic example.

I think the oddest thing about this is the notion that this kind of affection would be freely displayed in a quasi-professional context. It just strikes me as inappropriate and strange.

But hey, that's me.

I felt the same about the Bush/Lieberman kiss. Remember that one? Still gives me nightmares....

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   

I don't have Platonic casual friends. Frankly, I find the description a contradiction in terms.

Same here. I have very few friends and I am very close to them. The are platonic, but they are not casual. I don't have casual friends. Maybe that's the difference. Some people have a lot of friends, so can't see kissing them all. But I'm very particular who I let into my life at all, so there are only a few people I put in the category of "friend".

But I do tell many people that I love them. And I do. I find it's very easy for me to say that and mean it. Love is boundless... why not share it?

Each person draws their own line as to what's "appropriate". The difference is that some draw that line for themselves, while others try to draw it for themselves AND for the rest of society. Sharing love and affection is not hurting anybody.

Some have the judgment that kissing your friends is inappropriate. I have the judgment that it's a wonderful way to say that I care about a person and feel close to them. The idea that it's "weird" or "inappropriate" tells me that people are somehow making it sexual. If the only person one kisses is their sexual partner, then I can understand that. But I've been kissing people my whole life. Why would it seem weird or inappropriate to me?

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Just a couple more pictures I found interesting... Looks like it's not an uncommon practice in Washington DC. Maybe because these people travel overseas a lot?

There's a little video herethat talks about politics "feeling the love".

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Well said.

I wholeheartedly agree.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

You are a brave soul Sonya, although it seems unlikely they are anything but political lovers, lol

The way I see it , is is all an act, I bet they wouldn't have given each other the time of day outside this political melodrama

I don't kiss any of my friends or acquaintances on the lips, ever, never.

I think it is odd.

[edit on 083030p://bMonday2008 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
hand holding and kissing are significant of political solidarity, this just proves my point, yuck,someone save us , BH.

you know what they say,

Politics makes strange bedfellows

[edit on 093030p://bMonday2008 by Stormdancer777]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join