It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barack Obama does not give birthday presents to children

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
i think obama seems like a good candidate to me (but i dont live in america and over here in wales we dont seem to get that much news about him) and i dont think there is anything wrong about not giving his children birthday or christmas presents. I think what he is doing will actually make his kids better people and they wont depend on birthday and christmas presents

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by jetxnet
Giving Christmas presents is a Christian thing and has been for hundreds of years.

Obama isn't Christian, so he would not be inclined to do so.

Michelle isn't Chrisitian either. They'll both tell you they are, but obviously by this and other several poiinters to the contrary, they are not.

Great Avitar amd so true.

[edit on 30-7-2008 by jetxnet]

You Know there is something wrong with you. Something you are hiding that you don't want the ATS and the World to know.

Back on topic..

My Grandfather was a Pastor and my parents are Christians as well. I have never received a gift from Mom or Dad for my birthday or Christmas.

What does that make them..

Give me a moment while I give them a call and explain to them that they are Muslims..

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Believe it or not it is possible to celebrate birthdays & Christmas without giving gifts. My dad attended the Church of Christ and he never, ever, bought birthday or christmas presents.

He always wished us happy birthday, but no party or presents. For Christmas, as a family we read the account about Jesus Birth, but never had a tree or presents. He always said it was Pagan. He would always point out that the Wise men did not visit Jesus when he was born, but only did so later after mary & Joseph had took up living in a house.

And he always took great pains to point out that the nowhere in the Bible does it say that there were 3 wise men. That is only assumed due to the three gifts that were given.

My mom said the real reason was that he was a cheapskate.

But he always had a logical explanaton for his refusal to follow tradition just for the sake of being considered "Normal".

Obama does not fit the "Normal" mode of a politician. I think that is why so many are drawn to him in the first place.

[edit on 30-7-2008 by Sparky63]

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Obama is not a muslim, a closet muslim or muslim wannabe. If he was he would not have gone into churches to pray, thats not a muslim thing to.
So people quit making uneducated assumptions.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
What do you expect from a guy that thinks babies are nothing more than punishment for a mistake?
The boy has got some issues.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by WhatTheory

Jehovah Witnesses claim to be Christians. They believe that they are the True Christians. They do not celebrate any holiday except Wedding Anniversaries. Also I know some who don't like Smurfs of garden gnome
statuettes. Really I'm not kidding.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
This will definitely be an issue to a lot of people. I think many want to vote for somebody like them, somebody they can relate to. Personally, I LOVE christmas and birthdays simply because the smile on my kids' face makes it all worthwhile.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Actually, I have a friend who is devotely christian and they do NOT celebrate Christmas because they do not believe that celebrating Christ's birth is by BUYING tons and tons of gifts.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by galatea

No one is taliking about tons of gifts, it's a matter of giving rather than receiving. But of course nothing Obama does or doesn't do will ever be wrong.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Actually, I have a friend who is devotely christian and they do NOT celebrate Christmas because they do not believe that celebrating Christ's birth is by BUYING tons and tons of gifts.

Obama doesn't buy a single gift and don't forget about birthdays. Some people do it to save money, but the Junior Senator, even before running for POTUS makes over 4 million/yr.

Is that what Junior Senators make now-a-days? 4 million per year? What balooned Obama's income so much? It's called "illegal land deals for kickbacks" in his Chicago district.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Wow. You mean they actually celebrate Christmas as the birth of Christ and not a holiday shopping spree?

I knew i liked Obama, and here's another reason why

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Cowgirlstraitup7

Actually that is true, but I grew up in a Catholic home and we never got presents for Christmas and neither birthday presents, even when we did celebrated the holidays but no presents just lots of party and lots of food.

My parents always said that toys were a waste of money.

I decided to spoil my children rotten and that is what I did when I became a parent.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin
Wow. You mean they actually celebrate Christmas as the birth of Christ and not a holiday shopping spree?

What gives you the impression they celebrate Christmas?

The article does NOT say they celebrate Christmas and since they don't give gifts, it leaves some doubt there. Thanks for bringing that up because now there is doubt that he actually celebrates Christmas.

BTW, the holiday shopping spree as you put it, is about giving someone a gift which reflects how you feel about someone and it's rather ignorant of you to just blow it off like that.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by WhatTheory

Just as a factoid:

i say that because Obama says he's Christian.

I piece 2+2 and got 4.

Somehow, some people got 17 or something?

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin
Just as a factoid:
i say that because Obama says he's Christian.
I piece 2+2 and got 4.
Somehow, some people got 17 or something?

Just as I thought, you are assuming.

Then why are a lot of his actions, views and words seem to conflict with Christianity?

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Im christian and I do not celebrate pagan holidays either.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhatTheory
Then why are a lot of his actions, views and words seem to conflict with Christianity?

Don't you mean, "your version of Christianity?"

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   

What gives you the impression they celebrate Christmas?

The article does NOT say they celebrate Christmas and since they don't give gifts, it leaves some doubt there. Thanks for bringing that up because now there is doubt that he actually celebrates Christmas.

BTW, the holiday shopping spree as you put it, is about giving someone a gift which reflects how you feel about someone and it's rather ignorant of you to just blow it off like that.

Oh I don't know, maybe the fact that "Santa Claus is still permitted to deliver seasonal gifts"??

And it sounds as if you're a victim of our materialistic culture... when did buying Xbox 360s and televisions become the proper way of reflecting our opinions of each other?

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Don't you mean, "your version of Christianity?"

No, that is NOT what I meant but thanks for injecting your point of view.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by rgrthat
And it sounds as if you're a victim of our materialistic culture... when did buying Xbox 360s and televisions become the proper way of reflecting our opinions of each other?

There you go assuming again. What makes you think I use those items as gifts during Christmas?

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join