It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are middle easterns good people overall? Or true terrorists?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by jedimiller

A small minority of terrorists give rise to generalisations such as "All middle easterners are terrorists".

A small minority of unthinking people (like you) give rise to generalisations that "All americans are stupid".

Never generalise based on a small sample.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Unfortunatly the share of "untinking" people in the US and all of the western world is far far greater then any share terrorists could even dream to hold. And I mean that in a factor of millions to 1.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 07:27 AM
link   
well, I been called Middle eastern. See my avatar, don't I look like an arab in that pic a little bit? Now, remember this is not a racist thread at all. I admire Natalie Portman, she's my favorite actress. I'm talking about perception, I been called middle eastern and looked down for looking like I do. here in california, people are more open and it's in the news all the time. Muslim temples all around and people performing hate crimes on them. and like I said, from the middle eastern people i've met here, they do feel like they are being targeted. sorry, but that's the way it is. At the border, when I cross i've had the border patrol guy tell me they are looking for middle eastern looking people and also the same at the san diego airport, security there says the same thing. So, i'm not imagining this stuff. it's happening, you just have to open your ears.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   
To me you look like a classic Italian.
Agreed that some turks look like that too, but thats mainly the ones in the regions close to Itali. And saying that, I can't say I ever even heard mention of turkey (which is also in greater part muslim) as being one or even being considered as one of the targets in the WoT.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Wow! Sweeping generalisation-tastic!

People are people whatever area of the world they come from, you get murderers, rapists, torturers, religious fanatics, blood doners, charitable folk, etc, etc. in every society or culture. The main problem that seems to prevail in the west (esp. in America) is that "they" are fundamentally different from "us". Iranians (for example) worry about the US as they consider Americans to be violent warmongers who will lash out at any weaker nation. The last time I spoke to Iranians, this was the general attitude so forgive me if your experience of travelling in Iran was different.

Just as there are only a few terrorists in the middle east, there are only a few people directing US foreign policy.

We also have to remember that the current situation in the middle east is a result of hundreds of years of European and later American interference and so hasn't politically "evolved" without interference i.e. coups, oil companies, old school imperialism and so on.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 07:43 AM
link   
At risk of posting (darn it!), I'm going to implore members to avoid replying to idiotic posts such as this. That way they will drop off of the main page sooner. Pretty please.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by DenyAllKnowledge
Wow! Sweeping generalisation-tastic!

People are people whatever area of the world they come from, you get murderers, rapists, torturers, religious fanatics, blood doners, charitable folk, etc, etc. in every society or culture.

that is true. but i've heard some comments like these, and like i've said i'm in the US. this is what I had to hear from people.

From a marine : "We are at war with the middle east".

From a co worker: "We should nuke the entire middle east and end the problem".

From a Boder Patrol Agent: "We look for middle eastern characteristics and then we send them to second inspection".

From a Republican: "I fear muslims and i'll protect my country whatever it takes"

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Yes you could probably pass as middle eastern maybe, a lot are light, just like you have dark and light italians, indians.

What are you anyway?

[edit on 25-6-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Please do your self a favor see this documentary from bbc and pass it on to the marine, co worker, border Patrol Agent, the republican and any one who has difficulty with living amongst all humans

video.google.com...=what%20the%20muslim%20&hl=en&sitesearch=&dur=3
I can send you another link about what Asia did for the west. And another one about what the west did for the rest of the world….and so on. At this game no one win.

Kacou

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   
sorry, wrong link:
video.google.com...

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by kacou
sorry, wrong link:
video.google.com...

Ah yes the little known contributions from the islamic world. Good video.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
Yes you could probably pass as middle eastern maybe, a lot are light, just like you have dark and light italians, indians.

What are you anyway?

A mix of Arab, Gypsy, Spanish, Italian. Whatever else you want to throw in. I got beat up in middle school accused for being a rich Arab with oil resources and accused of having a rich father from Saudi arabia. But that's in my past.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by jedimiller
Here in the United States most people hate middle eastern people now. People from Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Afganistan. The idea that they are the worst and most evil race on the planet. Do you think this is an american point of view or is it the same around the world.

I'd say it was a narrow minded bigoted point of view.

But, as you clearly want to push the issue, heres some perspective for you.

The total amount of muslims involved in 9/11 probably did not exceed more than 50 people all tolled.

Approximately 3000 Americans were killed in the WTC attacks

There are currently 160,000 "allied" troops in Iraq, and there have been about 42,500 Civilian Casualites since January 05 as shown here

The death toll in Afghanistan last year is reported as approximately 8,000 people here

Now you tell me who has more reason to be afraid of whom - Americans of Muslims or Muslims of Americans?

The figures suggest the latter.

Who is terrifying who?

[edit on 25/0608/08 by neformore]

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore

I'd say it was a narrow minded bigoted point of view.

I would agree with you nerformore, that i'm coming from an american point of view, you see, people around here secretly discriminate against middle easterns. that's why it's important to discuss the issue. do you realize that companies aren't hiring middle easterns? my company has a 1% middle eastern employee pool. You are in england that why I think you don't understand my point. this is an american point of view. so I agree with you that you think it's bigoted point of view.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

I've never been to the Middle East, so I can only comment on what I've seen on documentaries and news reports. Everything seems to indicate that Middle Easterners are a very hospitable people, honest and hard working for the most part.

Many people throughout the Middle East, especially Arabs, take great pride in shows of hospitality, never failing to at least serve coffee and a snack such as figs but preferring to present guests with a lavish choice of expensive delicacies in abundance. To refuse such hospitality can cause offense.

They are like all people in that they want to live in peace and prosperity, raise families, give their children better lives than they had. Of all Muslims and Middle Easterners, there is only a small faction of 'true terrorists.'

BTW, if you ever go to Iraq or Iran remember this:

In Iraq and Iran, the "thumbs up" gesture is considered an offensive insult[1]

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Having spent about 6 years in Israel,Lebanon,Iran and UAE I feel I'm a little qualified to answer you.

They have a greater respect for each other and the law.
They're more religious and respectable.
They are VERY tolerant of other religions.
They don't 'look' like anything except people.

Israelis look like Greeks.
Lebanese look like Americans and Israelis,
Iranians look like Lebanese and French.?.. huh? ridiculous..
Is that how you expect them to be described so border guards know how to 'identify' and categorise them?

The only thing I can say is you don't get many blondes..apart from that.. they look like us.. O yeah.. is that coz they are?

It's like me saying Americans are all fat and loudmouth,complain that the roads are too small and always have burgers in their hands..

Or that British always drink tea,start football fights and always shake your hand when you beat them at sporting events..

Boyohboyohboy..
I HATE tea..

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Here in the United States most people hate middle eastern people now. People from Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Afganistan. The idea that they are the worst and most evil race on the planet. Do you think this is an american point of view or is it the same around the world.

Not true I hate no man. Color means nothing to me nor does religion. IMO everyone is free to believe in what suits them best. I also think that the whole 911 thing was a planned event. I say that because William Cooper claimed that he met a reporter that talked to osama saying that he was gonna attack America two months before 911 hes murdered.
Coincidence I think not.

p.s. i think these kinds of threads shouldn't be allowed to continue - just my two cents

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by kacou

So ya wanna know what we Americans thought about bush and king arab holding hands. HAHAHAHA. After the initial laughter and gay jokes, we are embarassed. Disgusted. Wishing time would fly forward to 2009 where we can start forgeting the past 8 years.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte

Many people throughout the Middle East, especially Arabs, take great pride in shows of hospitality, never failing to at least serve coffee and a snack such as figs but preferring to present guests with a lavish choice of expensive delicacies in abundance. To refuse such hospitality can cause offense.

Hahahaha. That is so true.

Especially when they almost force you to eat eat eat. You almost cannot refuse too lol.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Does this question even need to be asked?

Most people regardless of their religion, race or culture are good and decent people... it is as they say the squeaky wheel that gets the grease... its the loudmouths and extremists that get the most notice because that is what they are after while the good folk of this earth go about their business and hope and pray they won't get caught in the crossfire.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join