It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane watch 2008

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Ok ladies and gentleman if you are in the path of this monster, you better Run and run now, do not wait go now.

It's huge and will hit as a 3 or 4 cat. storm.

[edit on 11-9-2008 by LDragonFire]

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire
It's huge and will hit as a 3 or 4 cat. storm.

Exactly. Don't let the Category 2 winds fool you. The current pressure is 944 millibars. Pressures that low normally have hurricane winds at Category 4. Combine that with the size of the storm and you'll get the feeling that it's just getting back up on it's feet after running through Cuba which didn't even rob Ike of it's eye-wall. Unless we have an eye-wall replacement cycle just before it goes on shore, expect it to hit Texas at a high 3 or a 4. Winds at the eye will probably be at 130 mph.

Depending on the speed of the storm you could see near hurricane force winds all the way up to Austin.

[edit on 11-9-2008 by dbates]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Just wanted to give a local report. As I mentioned prior to Gustav I live near the Louisiana/Texas boarder.

Evacuations were highly recommended but not mandatory this time. However there is a much different feel. National Guard is in this area (which they were not for Gustav). Armed guards outside of ALL Supermarkets, Walmarts and any places where you can get food. I found this to be very odd and it just came off to me as a glimpse into the future.

As of 6am the winds have kicked up and there is an occasional misting. It is not drizzle or light rain... just a fine mist that last a few seconds.

Side note: Very surreal seeing machine guns at the local grocery stores. Most businesses have closed and boarded up already. Walmart is open until 9am. Curfew begins at 10am and we are told we will be arrested if we are outside. Very strange cause we were not told this for Gustav and a mandatory evacuation was in place. Looting was also not an issue after Rita or Gustav in this area but there is a HUGE military/police presence.

Just like Gustav I am not going anywhere. I have my supplies and I am armed. I will check back in later if I have power.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Oh and since I made a prediction last hurricane that was right on the money...I will give my prediction for this one as well.

This will not be Gustav. It will not make land fall and fall apart. I predict it will continue to move rather slowly as it builds up more strength. Unlike the models however, I predict an earlier turn than the experts have claimed and I expect the eye to make land fall between Houston and Beaumont Texas (East of Houston). I expect Western Louisiana to get hit pretty good being on the east side of the storm. I expect some serious flooding from Lake Charles, LA to Port Aurthur. TX.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Thanks for the reply and heads up MrWendal

HOUSTON, Texas (CNN) -- Residents along Galveston Bay in Texas "face certain death" if they don't leave home before Hurricane Ike roars ashore, the National Weather Service warns.
Weather service warns of 'certain death' in face of Ike

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

a picture of Ike from the space station:

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 07:37 AM
link   
waves pushing over Galveston sea wall!!!

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
www.khou.com...

Video of the scene in LDragonFire's photo above.

[edit on 12/9/08 by Yossarian]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Upto 40,000 people in harms way and might need to be rescued from Ike!!!

HOUSTON, Texas (CNN) -- Houston officials are telling residents to stay put because it's not safe anymore to try to hit the road to escape Hurricane Ike.

The Category 2 storm had 105 mph winds as of 5 p.m. ET, according to the National Hurricane Center. It is expected to make landfall late Friday or early Saturday near Galveston, and by that time may have strengthened to a Category 3, forecasters say.

Ike is 900 miles wide, measuring the cloud cover at its widest point. On Friday, its tropical storm-force winds extended up to 275 miles -- the length of the Texas coastline -- from its center, for a total reach of about 550 miles.

Texas officials: It's too late to get out, so stay put

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   

GALVESTON — City officials announced at 9:30 p.m. Friday that they had no reports that Hurricane Ike had caused any loss of life.

However, they are worried enough what they will find after sunrise to attempt to control media access to damaged areas.

“We just don’t know what we’ll find,” said City Manager Steve LeBlanc.

Crews will go out at first light to begin to assess damage.

Three areas ravaged by fire will likely be first on the list to check.

After watching a fire at the Yacht Basin burn uncontrollably, frustrated firefighters also had to sit by as houses in the Hollywood Heights neighborhood and on 51st Street burned.
Officials: No loss of life due to Hurricane Ike

GALVESTON, Texas (CNN) -- Hurricane Ike's storm surge flooded Galveston's historic district early Saturday, sparked fires and knocked out power.

Heavy winds continued to pummel the coastal region more than four hours after the storm made landfall as a Category 2 storm.

It has since weakened to a Category 1, the National Hurricane Center said in its 9 a.m. ET update.
Hurricane Ike floods Galveston's historic district

The news of no loss of life is wonderful, lets hope it remains that way.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join