It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane watch 2008

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Winds here are only 15 mph at the moment. We have been told locally to expect power outages. We are now oficially under huricane warning for next three days and tornado watch until 10am.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Well folks today is the day, we will see what happens with this storm.

BROWNSVILLE, Texas (CNN) -- Thousands were bracing Wednesday for the arrival of Hurricane Dolly near the border between the United States and Mexico.

Forecasters expect the storm to come ashore around midday Wednesday in or around Brownsville, Texas, or Matamoros, Mexico.

At 5 a.m. ET Wednesday, the center of the season's second hurricane was about 65 miles east-southeast of Brownsville, Texas, moving northwest at nearly 8 mph. The hurricane would come ashore around 1 p.m. ET Wednesday if it continues moving at that rate.
Hurricane Dolly expected to strengthen before landfall

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I can't believe it's Cat 2 strength (well 1mph off, so why split hairs?)...Brownsville buckle up and prepare for a bad day... Hope you folks have a battery powered TV. That was a lifesaver during our last storms...let us be able to watch the news while the power was out.

EDIT: not sure why sometimes pic shows, sometimes doesn't...uploaded here on the site...

[edit on 23-7-2008 by Gazrok]

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Quick update
Winds up again, making it a Cat 2.
100 mph....

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Still raining, but we have power. Not too much thunder and lightening. Several tornado warnings, but nothing near us. Lots of accidents today because these idiots don't know how to drive when conditions are good. Corpus pretty much dodged the bullet. Slept like a baby. Thanks for the prayers and well-wishes.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Seems clear for the moment...but there's a very large area of rotation out there...way in the Atlantic, but is probably too large to tighten up and develop much....and if it did, it'd likely stay over water...

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Saw this on yahoo just now, thought you might be interested.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Seems clear for the moment...but there's a very large area of rotation out there...way in the Atlantic, but is probably too large to tighten up and develop much....and if it did, it'd likely stay over water...

Size really doesn't matter with tropical systems, but yeah the computer models (right now) have that wave staying away from land.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Hello, i'm from Brownsville and things weren't that bad....we lost power for the majority of the day which really sucked....good thing though that our water plant didn't lose power.....

other cities in my area can not drink the water because its contaminated and roads are still flooded....

trees were uprooted, fences were blown away and singles and some roofs and stuff along with damage to gas stations....

some people still can't get to their houses because officals refuse to let them go through the water because of contamination...

the coast guard was here on south padre island as well as the red cross to give out food....whats weird is that the news said it was ok to shower and wash dishes in the water but not to drink....haha

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Things have been quiet, but there is a low pressure out in the middle of the Atlantic right now. Not much convection with it now, but it is still a well defined low pressure. Something to watch...

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
TD 5 has formed in the Gulf
www.nhc.noaa.gov...
And could be a tropical storm real soon.

Heads up Texas again. Northern Texas this time.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 07:07 AM
link   

(CNN) -- Forecasters expanded warnings along the Texas Gulf coast early Monday as Tropical Storm Edouard picked up speed.

A tropical storm warning is in effect from the mouth of the Mississippi River westward to San Luis Pass, Texas. The warning means that tropical storm conditions are expected within the warning area in the next 24 hours.

The National Hurricane Center in Miami expects Edouard, which started as a depression in the Gulf of Mexico early Sunday afternoon, to reach coastal Galveston, Texas, by Tuesday morning. Edouard will likely reach near-hurricane strength before landfall, the hurricane center said.
Texas braces as tropical storm warnings cover coast

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Hold on Texas here comes Edouard!!

Darkelf, Goradd, Gazrok, you all gonna get hit again??

[edit on 4-8-2008 by LDragonFire]

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
New update from NOAA

www.noaanews.noaa.gov...

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Possibility of Invest 92L becoming organized over the next few days and possibly affecting Florida. Only time will tell, but it looks like our peak time frame for hurricane activity for Florida will be a very active one.

NHC Outlook

several models want to bring this disorganized blob into the Bahamas and South Florida.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

It always seems to get much worse in mid to late September. I'll be holding my breath the entire month... then of course collapsing. I really hope we will be as lucky in Florida as we were last year.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I hate to say it, but I don't think we'll be as lucky as last year. According to Dr. Master over on Wunderground, the pattern is setting up in the next 7-10 days to be similar like that of 2004 and 2005.

I've been prepared, but I continue to keep the supplies replenished and topped off in case we have back to back threats this season. Good luck to you this season btw my fellow Floridian, let's hope for the best.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

Well hoping for the best and being prepared is all we can do really. I've been buying a gallon of water every time I go grocery shopping. I still need some batteries and a few more canned goods however. I really hope it's not anything like 2005, dealing with Hurricane Wilma wasn't exactly a picnic after all. Since we took a direct hit from that one, I'm sure not looking forward to the possibility of another any time soon. I wish you luck as well.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
That storm just above the islands has become extremely organized.
Hurricane hunter is in the system now and it'll either be a tropical depression or tropical storm real soon.

Definitely heads up to all those in Florida.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
It's still a "vigorous tropical wave", hurricane hunters didn't find a closed low, so it wasn't classified as a Tropical Depression tonight. I think by 5pm tomorrow if not sooner, we'll see Tropical Storm Fay.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Tropical Storm Fay was named today at 5pm by the NHC. I started a new thread which can be found HERE

in the meantime, I've noticed, the second area of interest in the Atlantic not too far behind TS Fay.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join