It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone think that Global Warming is a joke?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I think that Global Warming is a hoax made up by the government to decrease in petroleum consumption so that other countries will start supplying more gas. (for those that don't know, other countries agreed that if we reduce consumption by 10% then they would supply petroleum)

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by tpeele

Well, sorry to put a damper in your theory, but you might want to check out this thread.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Temperatures are rising naturally due to the earth still coming out of the last ice age and I certainly believe that the government is using this predicament to create more taxes all in the name of 'global warming' and 'saving the planet'.

It makes me mad when the media and government are all the time trying to scare monger us into 'doing our bit' when in cities at night you can see all the lights (and no doubt the computers aswell) are left on in big office blocks.Its the same with street lamps.Why not have them censored so that they turn on when someone is approaching rather than leaving them on all night when noone is about?
I used to work in a restaurant that was part of a chain across Britain and they(and im sure many other restaurants too)never gave a thought to recycling.In britain now you can get fined for simply putting a can into a food waste bin! It absolutely beggars belief that the government are so tough on everyday people and their 'carbon footprint' but when it comes to businesses they just turn a blind eye.Plus with all the emissions coming out of China,are we really gonna make that much difference by switching to energy saving light bulbs?

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I don't think it's a joke. I think it's a tactic to keep us all scared and in line.

Back in the 1960's I was in grade school and we all had to stop, tuck and kiss our butts goodbye because of the Red menace. Those Ruskies were going to nuke us.

In the 1970's it was the population bomb. So many people were being born that the Earth would run out of resources and the human race would be gone before we ever got close to the year 2000.

In the 1980's it was Ronald Reagan and if he didn't blow us all up the coming ice age would surely do us in.

In the 1990's it was the hole in the ozone layer. We were all doomed to be fried from the rays of the sun. There was no escaping it.

In the 2000's it's global warming and were all going to melt and nothing will ever be the same cause we're killing the planet.

Ya' know what? I'm almost 50 years old and I'm sick and tired of being scared.

I'm going to eat triple chocolate fudge ice cream dipped in bacon fat until my veins look like tree trunks.

I'm going to drive an SUV that melts ice caps and kills polar bears and those stupid seals that they eat.

I'm going to enjoy my air conditioning and not worry about my carbon foot print. Screw my carbon foot print. If it scares other people, that's their problem.

After 50 years I have learned that fear is how they dictate the life they want you to live.

I'm sick of it.

I hope you are too.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Global warming is a real happenin' thing. The US government purposefully edited scientific papers to cover what scientists were saying - if global warming were a conspiracy, why would they try to hide it in the first place

I'm not saying the danger is hyped up, any measures the West takes are going to be completely eclipsed by the development of China and India, I just don't think there's a conspiracy per se.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   
It depends on which parts of the information and data you believe. All I know is that there is so much hype about it that there are bound to be people trying to take advantage of the situation. Almost every product I see in the supermarket now sports the 'Green' or 'Eco Friendly' logo trying to boost its sales. They don't give a damn, they are just jumping on the bandwagon using peoples fears to make a profit. Its just as bad as the energy companies selling carbon offsets, saying they will plant trees if you buy off them. What a load! Anything to put them above their competitors.

I think the situation of climate change has its merits, something is happening and we are probably some of the cause. But whats worse are the companies taking advantage of the situation, pretending to offer solutions when in actual fact that are just seizing the opportunity to get rich off peoples fears.

History repeats itself, people never change. Greed will be our demise.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by tpeele

I don't think it is a joke, it is happening right now, every day. Why it is happening IMO is another reason altogether, it is a natural occurance. It is just speeding up due to our use of petroleum distillates.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 04:38 AM
link   
It's a bunch of BS. It's just another made up "War on..." for 'the people' to rally behind, as one... with the Gov't. Now do you see? Just a bunch of BS.
And it again shows the arrogance of man... that WE are in control of what happens, regarding this aspect. BS. Simply more fear-mongering.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
No, it's far from a 'joke' ... I'll make this simple: Their plan is partly to cause what is happening, but if you know the science behind so called 'free energy you know that scarcity is in fact a lie.... You're right. - But the fact that the environment is being degraded by deforestation & pollution does not do justice weather the Sun ice is warming or not. It is clear via the carbon taxes, & all the propaganda devoid of solutions that it is in conjunction with the so-called 'new' World Order's plan to control the population & instill more control.

I happen to have jumped back into paying more attention to ATS now that I've finished my video, & if you want to know the true impact of this problem, check this out! (I'm sure it's worse).

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
It's not a joke. I'm not laughing.

It's another attempt to scare the populations into submission. Mrwupy said it best. He just left out the single greatest source of cholesterol in the known free world... SMOTHER THAT FUDGE IN MAYONNAISE!

TheRedneck

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Global warming is a joke because the temperature over at NorCal feels colder than normal. In July, it's supposed to be the hottest. For the past few years, there has been no more than a week or so of really hot weather. All other days are pleasant, fine and dandy. So far, I feel nothing globally warm except the sunny days with clear blue skies and lots of wind.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
No it's never a joke.But take oil out of the equation and bring the technology that in my honest opinion exist into the world for all mankind. There are better solutions, but until the money flow stops and the oil reserves dry up then I'm afraid we're in trouble. Global warming is not a fact and we haven't had enough time on this planet to know what really happens with our Solar System, the Sun and our own planet's weather patterns. Money is the Global destruction on this planet.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Which Global Warming are you referring to?
The one on Earth or the one on Mars.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I think that blaming man for global warming is sketchy. I'd say it is far more likely that the Earth's warming in areas are due to natural causes.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by pikypiky

Changes cause fluctuations, & hence the cooling, which could be caused by th slowing of the currents. I is therefore now called climate change.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Time=Now

1) Cooling is the opposite of warming. Periods of cooling will offset periods of warming.

2) If those who are promoting Global Warming know what will happen to the climate in the future, why did they use a term originally that would have to be changed to a more generic one?

3) Why is Glo... er, Climate Change, sorry, happening on other planets in the solar system?

4) Why are taxes being proposed as the best way to fight Climate Change, yet no technology is proposed using those taxes to correct the 'problem'?

5) Why are those who are predicting gloom and doom over Climate Change the only ones making so much money from it?

6) Why can the local meteorologist not tell me if it will rain tomorrow, but he can tell me the global temperature in a hundred years?

7) Why are we discussing this? There has been no change in global average temperature since 1998... OK, last year it cooled off by a fraction of a degree, sorry.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
The joke is on the people.

The people who spend more money going green. The businesses that have to spend more money on government mandates for pollution control that were in place and already proven in technology to be effective. On different industries such as the oil industry or automobile manufacturers, being blamed for for all of mankind's ill.

This is nothing more than government driven greed to squeeze more taxes from a variety of sources, from the working stiff. You pick the government, every one of them is involved.

BTW: it is a natural cycle yet to be formally discussed in open scientific forums with funding not derived from governmental grants.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Global Warming seems to be true, but the causes could be man-made or natural cycles or both. The weather seems to be changing, but I believe governments are using it as a political decoy for the true pending disaster . . . PEAK OIL!

Peak Oil is a far more scarry problem than global warming, although the solutions to both are very similiar. Just read the headlines below, very scarry!

Peak Oil Related News!

[edit on 5/24/08 by mel1962]

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
yeah well how can we tell that it is the Earth is not changing for the better? Maybe the changing of the weather is not saving us from some enormous natural disatster. I do believe that it is getting hotter due to being still partially in an ice age. How do we know that the Polar Ice caps are even supposed to be here? How do we know that they were not jere before the Ice Age?

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Global warming is a very real problem.

While I do agree that a certain percentage is from natural causes, I also see a percentage that is man made.

If you have ever driven down a long stretch of highway in the middle of summer you would see the rising heat off in the distance ahead of you.
There are millions of miles of highway all reflecting this heat.

The same is true of the concrete and steel structures in our cities. Those also reflect heat.

For decades now we have been wrapping Earth in this heat shield, much like one would wrap corn on the cob in aluminum foil.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join