It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who ultimately runs area-51 ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Hi, i'm new here, but would like to ask something thats intrigued me for a long time....who actaully runs area-51; at the end of the day, someone has to be in absolute charge.....how much does the President know ? If he is informed, what control does he have, if any ? Thanks for a great forum, hope to read some interesting replies.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
It's pretty straightforward. The Groom Lake test facility (the term "Area 51" hasn't been used since about 1978) is operated as a detachment of the Air Force Flight Test Center (AFFTC). It has grown from a small cadre to a wing-level (multi-group, multi-squadron) organization under the command of a colonel (I know him personnally). The name of the operating location is DET 3, AFFTC.

When the Secretary of the Air Force says, "the facility has no name per se," that is somewhat true. It is usually referred to by the unit designation (DET 3) but the actual site is still legally listed as Watertown, a member of Alamo Township in Lincoln County, Nevada. This name was entered into record in 1955 or early 1956. The name Area 51 was first used in 1958 when the land was acquired by the Atomic Energy Commission on behalf of the CIA. The Air Force took control of the Groom Lake facility in the late 1970s.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadowhawk

Nevada is divided into ranges and townships, all numbered. [The Nellis range uses the Mount Diablo meridian.] Where ia Alamo Township defined?

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Use of the word "township," in this case, doesn't seem to relate to the township and range grid coordinate system. The Department of Energy's Town Data Base for estimation of radiation exposure rates and fallout arrival times at locations near the Nevada Test Site lists locations by county, township, and location name. Lincoln County is divided into four townships: Alamo, Caliente, Panaca, and Pioche. Caliente has the most members (18) while Panaca Township has only one eponymous member.

Members of Alamo Township include Alamo, Ash Springs, Buckhorn Ranch, Crystal Springs, Dodge Construction Camp, Groom Mine, Hiko, Lincoln Mine, Southpaw Mine, Tempiute, Watertown, and Whipple Ranch. Watertown is listed at Lat/Long coordinates 37.289 degrees N/115.775 degrees W.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Zogmorph, prime alpha male of the Tralfamadore contingent.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   

I tracked down the document. It is the "town data base", but refers to townships. [OK, close enough for government work.] Here is a link, though given the way the DOE search works, I can't insure the pdf will come through:
towns database

You can see on page 9 that the "town data base" was created in 1985, so I don't think it was used around the time the operation at Groom Lake started. Of course, the name Watertown does date to the start of the base, given the connection to Dulles.

The coordinates of Watertown match. It is a spot on the north east corner of the dry lake.

If the link doesn't work, this information should help in finding the document:
DOE/NV-374
UC-702
"Development of the Town Data Base: Estimates of Exposure Rates and Times of Fallout Arrival Near the Nevada Test Site"
Carol B Thompson
Richard D. McArthur
Stan W. Hutchinson

September 1994

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I don't think the "townships" were created for the Town Data Base in 1985. It appears to be a way of describing (mostly rural) land use, like the grange system.

According to Kelly Johnson's "Project X Log" he proposed the name "Paradise Ranch" in the spring of 1955 and it was accepted by the CIA. By 1956, however, the name Watertown was in common usage in official reports, press releases, etc. In 1958, when the land was added to the Nevada Test Site, it was designated as Area 51 and subsequently appeared as such on official maps and documents. Security guards at the site in the 1960s and early 1970s wore metal badges with the words, AREA 51 SECURITY FORCE.

Many of the workers continued to call it "The Ranch" despite whatever official name it had. The Area 51 designator fell into disuse after the Air Force took over in the late 1970s. Documents since then have referred to the Air Force's operating location as DET 3, AFFTC.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Whoever provides them with materials.

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 4-4-2008 by elevatedone]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
ya who is the leader
who runs everything

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 4-4-2008 by elevatedone]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 03:24 AM
link   

As I stated in my original post, Nevada uses numbered townships. You can look at the historic maps on line:
www.delamare.unr.edu...

When I was looking for the A-12 crash, I came across one of the marker using the R and T number system. Of course I can't show the marker since it would be a clue to where the crash is located.

Many states in the US do use "named" townships, mostly on the East Coast.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Probably not worth starting another thread, but I dug up this 1947 Nevada road map.
1947 Nevada roadmap
The interesting thing is the road through Groom Lake doesn't terminate at Mercury but rather Indian Springs. I don't believe the road is even complete today based on Google Earth imagery.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by gariac

Here is a 1950 road map showing the restricted range. Note Bald Mountain was not restricted. Also note the restricted range cut off route 25.
1950 Nevada highway map

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   

What does 'DET' represent? could it mean detention?

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

DET stands for "detachment." A detachment is present at one location, but run out of another location. This is not to be confused with TDY.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
supposedly the president doesn't know much of the testing facility. So possibly there is a board of directors that composes of public and military figures who run things there. Such as Director of CIA, NSA, FBI, NASA, and maybe some other federal institute

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Iron-Ghost

No, I see no reason to believe the president would not be privy to all information concerning Area 51...it's just that it would be a waste of his time to micromanage like that...it is up the the Air Force.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by coconut

yes, but the CIA contacts various scientists, physicists, and engineers. They also employee soldiers of the Armed Services, like the army and air force

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   
no one runs area 51. evry one only knows a very small bit of info. so if someone snitches, the damage is contained in a small area. smart, hu.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I believe it may be jointly ran, or 'owned".
While watching a documentary on the Discovery Channel done by Chuck Clark who lives in Rachel Nevada, and has been a researcher for many years, Chuck spent a night on top of Tikaboo, and he got footage of a MIG 29 flying with a B52 over the base.
According to Chuck, the buses that travel in and out of a nearby airport , and the Janet planes are owned by EG&G, (Government contractors.)

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by comet 3001
no one runs area 51. evry one only knows a very small bit of info. so if someone snitches, the damage is contained in a small area. smart, hu.

And this is the reason why i believe the people who supply them with materials carry the highest authority where ownership is concerned.

Sure, it might be ran by USAF, but that doesn't mean USAF is keeping the place up and running.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join