It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Californian City Bans Cussing

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   
The City Council of South Pasadena has declared the city a cuss-free zone in a drive to elevate the level of discourse in the town and remind citizens to be more civil.

The move follow attempts earlier this year by the St. Louis suburb of St. Charles, Missouri which tried to ban swearing in bars .

So if you're headed to South Pasadena this week, be sure to turn down the volume on that Snoop Dogg CD, and, if the little old lady from Pasadena cuts you off in traffic, don't even think about flipping her the bird

More and more like a police state everyday.

edition.cnn.com...

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Damn! I mean Darn. As a citizen of this country who practices Theraputic Cursing, I say this is an outrage!

I need cursing for the overall benefit of my health and the well-being of others - otherwise I might have to get crack-a-lackin' on somebody's head.

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
What if I slam my hand in a car door when I am getting ready to buy many things from their downtown area?

Seriously, I would go on an expletive rampage. It could happen...I live five minutes away...

Oh goodness...

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
What a bunch of damn bull crap. It is kind of like being on ATS, you cant cuss, it might hurt someones wittle feelings. Sometimes you need to use a good strong swear word to get your point across.

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I wonder how they are going to define cussing. I am assuming the f-word, c-word, and s-word will be considerred curse words. It would not surpirse me if the extend the definition of cussing to all sorts of words and phrases. For example, they may consider the phrases "Damn it" or "Jesus Christ"(as in "Jesus Christ! What are you doing you jerk?!") curse words. They could extend the ban to all sorts of terms that relate to sex, even if they are clinical terms. For example, words like: penis, vagina, sexual intercourse, and clitoris could be outlawed.

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
But didn't you guys know?

Sticks and stones may break your bones but words will never hurt you, unless it's the seven words you can't say on radio and television.

Vas

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Another stupid law made by morons working for people who don't like your freedoms at all. This is one law that most people will take as a joke and cops will only use to bust someone who they don't like and let go people they do.

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
What if I slam my hand in a car door when I am getting ready to buy many things from their downtown area?

Seriously, I would go on an expletive rampage. It could happen...I live five minutes away...

Oh goodness...

I will buy myself a plane ticket, fly across the country, get off in downtown pasadena, and just start cursing. "I'm so *bleep*in tired of this place already. What a *bleep*!" and just keep doing that so I can claim to be the first person arrested and charged with cursing in public.

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Like another poster said this what you get for having morons in positions of power.

Just another moronic idea coming from a moronic mind, but then again it seems that the entire government system is full by nothing but morons on agendas.

[edit on 8-3-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I really don't even know how to respond to this, I mean wow..... How much more people? piece by piece our once free nation is being chipped away at....

they can't do this, and yet they are....

And we stand and watch it all go down....

People who are local to that area, need to get a group together, and cuss like you've never cussed before in protest, It's called free speech, you don't have to like it, It was meant to protect unfavorable speech...

No ones going to ban the favorable speech...

So I say again, If you live in the area, get a group together, go down there and protest this, get arrested? so be it, quit being cowards and show some civil disobedience I mean damn people...

Where is your American spirit? the spirit of free men? (and women)

Being arrested knowing full well you are right, and are simply asserting your rights as not only a citizen, but a human being, is actually quite fun..

I say this from first hand experience.

I'm truly beginning to hate my fellow citizens, they are complacent cowards, not worthy of being a citizen or free, as neither means a damn thing to them... They are a disgrace to the men who fought to protect our freedoms,
They are so willing to give up everything... with no regard or concern of what they are losing...

Seeing my country torn apart all around me, and no one but myself being able to see it is an interesting feeling, its somewhat sad, to know and see what I and we here at ATS see...

Its so clear all people have to do is open here eyes... but that would destroy their dream world...

Ignorance is bliss i guess....

# em...

[edit on 8-3-2008 by C0le]

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
The law will be overturned the first time it is appealed. It is legal to curse as long as the words do not rise to the level of ' fighting words ' which means that the curser intends to provoke a violent retaliation and thus cause a breach of the peace, which is what disorderly conduct is. If there is no immanent violence, or intended violence, then the words arer legal.

The Supreme Court already ruled on this: it is just an knee jerk reaction to the lowered quality of discourse today, but passing laws never works..and passing laws nthat are un Constitutional are stupid. No one can be found guilty for this, or if they are it will be thrown out: federal law trumps these silly local nonsense ordinances. Nothing to worry about, anmy lawyer will have this beat in a minute.

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by eyewitness86

Thats true however, my concern isn't the law in and of itself, but the mindset and complacency that allows such things to come into being...

Its the mindset that will bring this country to its knees.

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Hell, I don't know if it's possible, but I would try to sue the city for everything for taking away my Constitutionally given rights.

Take this crap to the Supreme Court if I could.

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Personally, I find it a bit offensive to be in a public building and hear general conversation flowered with really crude curse words. IMHO it is a matter of respect for others to try to keep ones mouth in check.

However, there are times when even the most disciplined of us will loose control and let it fly. I am very much guilty of profane language when in pain, agitated, attacked or in a pissy mood.

My dear mother, God rest her soul, could make you feel like dirt without ever uttering a curse word. Her use of the English language was such that her tongue could cut deep and wide if she was displeased. Wish I could do the same at times.

It is ridiculous to make cursing an arrestable offense. The government may as well open up those camps as the jails will not hold all the "cussers" in south Georgia much less in the rest of the country if the cursing ban ever goes national.

Even though I don't enjoy hearing cursing I will stand firmly against having our freedom of speech so brutally challenged. Those boot licking, snot sucking, nose picking, anus faced politicians that would enact a ban on cursing need to be dumped in a pile of horse manure and urinated on.

Such a blatant attack on free speech cannot be tolerated.

Dizzie

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigbert81
Hell, I don't know if it's possible, but I would try to sue the city for everything for taking away my Constitutionally given rights.

Take this crap to the Supreme Court if I could.

Tread lightly on this... The Constitution gives you nothing, It merely protects whats already yours.

Never claim the Constitution gives you anything because whats given can be taken away.

They can only take that which you are willing to give up.

[edit on 8-3-2008 by C0le]

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
If you read the article, the whole thing was started by a kid who was sick of his friends "cursing to fit in" around him. He started telling his friends they couldn't hang out with him if they cursed around him (soo... stop cursing and you can fit in!) and eventually started a "No Cursing Club" in school that snowballed into this little declaration.
Personally, I think someone should smack this kid upside the head and send him to his room for being so audacious. It's not his business if people want to shout a few cusses at the price of gas or if they slam their hand in the car door.

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797
I will buy myself a plane ticket, fly across the country, get off in downtown pasadena, and just start cursing. "I'm so *bleep*in tired of this place already. What a *bleep*!" and just keep doing that so I can claim to be the first person arrested and charged with cursing in public.

Yeah, then retain a good constitutional lawyer and sue them for Freedom of Speech, get 40 or 50 million, and build us all an ATS Lodge (er, Clubhouse- dammit)

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by dizziedame
Personally, I find it a bit offensive to be in a public building and hear general conversation flowered with really crude curse words. IMHO it is a matter of respect for others to try to keep ones mouth in check.

Good, thats why people like me do it, because you find words that are not used in an insulting manner as offensive. I find it funny when I say the f word like "Thats *bleep*in ridiculous" and somebody gets their panties in a bunch.

However, there are times when even the most disciplined of us will loose control and let it fly. I am very much guilty of profane language when in pain, agitated, attacked or in a pissy mood.

It has nothing to do with losing control. I am completely in control when I use these words, and I see nothing wrong with them. When I do use them, I had a desired effect when using them. They are emotionally charged words, which is why I use them at the times I do.

My dear mother, God rest her soul, could make you feel like dirt without ever uttering a curse word. Her use of the English language was such that her tongue could cut deep and wide if she was displeased. Wish I could do the same at times.

When I use said words, it has nothing to do with my grasp of the english language. It has to do with the idea I will use an emotionally charged word to get the correct response I was looking for.
"that guy is an idiot"
"that guy is a *bleep*ing idiot"
There is a distinct difference.

It is ridiculous to make cursing an arrestable offense. The government may as well open up those camps as the jails will not hold all the "cussers" in south Georgia much less in the rest of the country if the cursing ban ever goes national.

That we agree on.

Even though I don't enjoy hearing cursing I will stand firmly against having our freedom of speech so brutally challenged. Those boot licking, snot sucking, nose picking, anus faced politicians that would enact a ban on cursing need to be dumped in a pile of horse manure and urinated on.

Interesting way to put it.

Such a blatant attack on free speech cannot be tolerated.

Dizzie

agreed. How do YOU fight it? Civil disobediance. What would that call for in this case? Start cursing in pasadena, people!

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
It is like that movie with Stallone and Snipes ... 'Demolition Man'

I am all for rights and freedoms ... but I am also for public decency.

Why do you all have such a need an desire to use vulgar language? Why is it to a point you must use it in written word as well?

If you want to make a point or exclamation, wit is a much better way to stick it to your adversary than an unintelligent outburst of anger and profanity.

Don't get me wrong, I love the comedy stylings of George Carlin.

I grew up in a house where the father used a swear word or two just about every sentence. I ended up being very fluent in the language or foul-mouth-ness prior to 5 year old. I always knew how and when to use it, as in not in public.

If swearing is so great, next time you have an interview for a job, when the person asks how you are, say 'Fine, and how the F$#^ are you? Or, go to a PTA meeting and have the teacher say your kid is acting like a little B$%^#.

Profanity is just uncouth and really has no need in our public vocabulary. I don't see how it is much of a freedom of speech issue, since your ideas and message are't being restrained, just vulgar words within that message.

Another thing, if you are not using swearing as an uncontrolled expression, then you are doing it for attention ... which is far worse of an offense than the swearing itself. Attention [whore]s are quite pathetic, since they need so much approval or at least the need to be noticed by others that shows they don't have enough self-respect or respect from the current people in their life to satisfy them. Most people don't find cursing to be 'cool'. Most people don't think, 'wow, that guy said the f-word ... he must be brilliant and sophisticated' ... emotionally charged words? :lmao: have fun, but I find a speech of passion without swearing to be much more emotionally motivating than one with its use.

Imagine if MLK Jr said 'I have a #ing dream, that all mf'ers are created equal', not quite as emotionally charged and motivating, is it now?

When I watch 'Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares', I don't have any more respect for him cursing every other word. He could very well get his same point across just as effective without the use of it. In fact, he might get his point across better if he didn't, since some people have a negative reaction to the swearing. He is not being any more crass or offensive using the words, in fact, I don't think he uses them as emotionally charged words, it is just so common to him he cannot control it much.

Basically, do you oppose having your 2 year old using those words freely? If so, then you essentially agree with this law. Do you agree with these words being used freely in front of your 2 year old? If not, then you agree with this law. (Imagine you have one if you don't.)

This isn't religious morality. It isn't about curbing your rights (PATRIOT Act is much more of a burden, as well as wiretapping, the president vetoing the ban on torture). It is about having a level of self-respect and decency in daily life and in the world.

Online, even here, why not put in the censor yourself if you must use the expression ... # off, shut the # up, get the # out, kiss my # ... wow, that sounds so intelligent and kind, does it not?

I have never felt better after a swear session, and in my lifetime, have had many. It basically comes down to one not having control of one's temper and frustrations. I don't expect people to be a 'Christine Sullivan' from 'Night Court' ... but, really ... a bit of calmness and respect goes a long way into bettering this world ... not by some silly law as this one, but as a common idea amongst the people that is adhered to.

Though, if the people of a community agree and wish for this law, it is their right to have it on their books. To tell them they cannot is suppressing their rights. If you don't agree with the laws of a place, generally you don't move there. There are quite a lot of people who would love to live in a profanity-free community and would move there in a heartbeat ... those who feel it would be a burden on their lives should stay away instead of whining and wanting to change it.

I don't agree with communities that have laws on how many cars you can have, where you can park a boat, and other crazy crap like that. My neighbor had to start parking his boat in a neighbors back yard because of a stupid city ordinance. The boat never affected me sitting in their yard. Their fence had no opening big enough to put it in the back of their house. I also don't agree with communities that limit the colors you can paint your house, or have to have your yard cared for in a particular way ... it is silly, since it is your house and your rights, but some give them up for a certain look or way that they find acceptable. We have a lot of that in FL with the retired communities and some of the rich subdivisions. I choose to live in the community or city to which I agree with the rules, or they have no direct effect on me.

I hope every one of you arguing against this cussing rule is also fighting the anti-smoking campaign. It is the smoker's right to smoke, their right to smoke in public, their right to smoke in a club or bar, their right to smoke when they eat. I don't smoke personally, but I never had a problem sitting with a smoker when they could smoke inside. Never had a problem with the restaurants that didn't separate seating, and commended the ones that did. Instead of banning smoking, all they had to do was require air cleaners with a minimum flow rate per square footage and a separation of sections. It is a shame someone I am with has to step outside and walk off 100 ft or so to smoke a cigarette. This also means I must go with them, since I am usually with females who would not feel comfortable walking 100 ft from the door of an establishment at night alone.

One last argument that I feel fits in line with this. Public nudity. It is natural. We all have the same parts basically. Why have laws against public nudity? It doesn't hurt anyone. The human body is a piece of art. You could choose if you were nude or not, some people are nudists, to ban nudity is limiting those peoples rights and freedoms. Then you can get into drug use, but I won't since that would lead to T&C violations, but the same goes, those peoples' rights are being withheld, you don't have to do it, if they could get it legally, there wouldn't be the need to commit crime for it, at least no more than people commit crime to obtain alcohol.

You cannot fight one cause without fighting the other. If you accept anti-smoking, you should accept anti-cussing ... if you fight anti-cussing, you should fight anti-smoking laws. It is quite clear and simple. Live an let live as long as they don't directly hurt or violate someone else's rights and freedoms, or support the laws that create decency and order ordained by some consensus, even if us more in tune to rights and freedoms don't agree with it.

I personally don't care about that law too much (though it is silly, but just as silly as a lot of laws like mandatory seat belts, anti-smoking legislation, home aesthitics, etc.) ... I would prefer people around me not to use profanity, especially around children ... but it does provide the means to show a child why they shouldn't cuss, since usually that person seems quite crazy from being enraged over a minute thing like being cut off or bumped into, or over-reacting to something else like a stubbed toe. The bad situation can be turned into a positive educational event.

In honesty, I may not agree with the words you use, but I do feel you have the right to say them and I defend that despite my above arguments and postulations.

Just wish you had some taste and decency
I could probably out-cuss you, but I have matured enough to all but stop using them except for a slip up here and there.

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Looks like theyve taken a leaf from the ATS rulebook.

What next? No one line responses in conversations?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join